U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM

6,751 posts, read 2,690,959 times
Default Why is John Maynard Keynes still taught in schools?

Since we're seeing the unraveling of neo-Keynesianism before our very eyes, I don't understand why it's taught as an economic fact. The least our education system could do is open the conversation up to other schools of economic thought. Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,850,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Since we're seeing the unraveling of neo-Keynesianism before our very eyes, I don't understand why it's taught as an economic fact. The least our education system could do is open the conversation up to other schools of economic thought. Just saying
Two reasons: our colleges and universities are dominated by Leftists who love big government and Keynesian economics is all about the government micromanaging the economy. Secondly, the Great Depression myth that FDR got us out of the the depression by applying Keynesian principles is still liberal cant on campuses.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM

962 posts, read 414,352 times
Keynesianism is a strong power base for the government. Even stronger than religion was in the middle ages.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 AM

7,336 posts, read 10,190,509 times
Quote:
It was not to me as economic fact. Economics is a social science.

I learned about Keynes along with Friedman. Good compare, contrast.

I tend not to agree with Keynsian policies, but he was a brilliant man. He predicted that the Treaty of Versailles would lead to problems with Germany. He also helped set up the Bretton Woods system.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

8,117 posts, read 6,110,414 times
If you believe that Keynes was the devil, you have to study him to know what you are up against. It is not enough to sing the praises of St Milton.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

6,751 posts, read 2,690,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Two reasons: our colleges and universities are dominated by Leftists who love big government and Keynesian economics is all about the government micromanaging the economy. Secondly, the Great Depression myth that FDR got us out of the the depression by applying Keynesian principles is still liberal cant on campuses.
You see, all my economics teachers were libertarian but taught us Keynesianism. I know George Mason has an Austrian economics course, but it's only 1 class.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM

10,706 posts, read 3,635,897 times
Quote:
Since when does truth matter? It's all relative now, isn't it?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM

20,005 posts, read 6,503,216 times
Quote:
Why? Err, if we didn't, we wouldn't have anybody who knows what to do.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

2,735 posts, read 1,140,996 times
Quote:
I assume you do not study Economics. Keynes is not presented as a "fact" but as an important theory in Economics just like the Chicago theories.
Can you actually prove that your schools only teach Keynesian Economics, because that is really hard to believe? I am pretty sure they teach everything from Adam Smith to Friedman.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 PM

6,296 posts, read 8,343,938 times
If you're in any social science class and someone is trying to teach you one particular economics paradigm as absolute fact, try to get a refund on your tuition...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies