Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

BTW.... There has been a common thread here about the parent/mom. I cannot speak either for or against. I can say that I believe that her handling of THIS situation appears to be wrong, we have nothing to base a suggestion that she has been a bad parent, or hasn't done the right thing. I will say, where is the father? A boy requires what Judge Joe calls, "MAN training". Nothing against women, but touchy feely doesn't work in raising most boys into men, and it requires a stricter hand and sometimes the threat or application of force to get it into the heads of boys as they are growing up. So while we are berating this mom, whom we cannot know for sure based on what we have been handed in the way of information, MY question is, where is the father, and why hasn't HE stepped forward to help raise this boy into a PROPER man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
My 8 yr old can swing a bat like crazy. I can't imagine if one end was really sharp and he was out of control.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post

What safe method do you think they should've used?
It was a stick. Not a 2 x 4.

The PMAB protocol, which is one of many used to manage violent psychiatric patients, provides several techniques for restraining a person without using pepper spray. The protocol has been employed thousands of times by mental health workers for years and years.

I used it with patients age 8-18 having violent outbursts. No injuries. No problems. No pepper spray.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

The PMAB protocol, which is one of many used to manage violent psychiatric patients, provides several techniques for restraining a person without using pepper spray. The protocol has been employed thousands of times by mental health workers for years and years.

I used it with patients age 8-18 having violent outbursts. No injuries. No problems. No pepper spray.
For which you were following the protocol of your organization - an organization that specializes in keeping psychiatric patients. I'm pretty sure that you had clauses in your intake agreements (that parents signed) that explained how physical force may be used to restrain the child.

That's nowhere near the same situation as a police officer in a school.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Why weren't the hallway monitors called in for backup?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I highly doubt an Teacher has been forced to take that training. I'm gonna guess that no one in a school would have taken that.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
For which you were following the protocol of your organization - an organization that specializes in keeping psychiatric patients. I'm pretty sure that you had clauses in your intake agreements (that parents signed) that explained how physical force may be used to restrain the child.

That's nowhere near the same situation as a police officer in a school.
No doubt.

Psychiatric emergencies are not an uncommon event for police officers. They should have the proper training to deal with them in more humane way-- especially with an 8 year old.

Are you saying that the pepper spray doesn't represent use of force? The police made a judgement call. They should have had better training which would have provided more tools to deal with the situation.

I'm not sure how clauses in intake agreements are relevant here... Because the police didn't have a signed agreement with the parents, they had license to do what they wanted? Perhaps they could have tazed the 8 year old?

While I agree with what you are saying, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I highly doubt an Teacher has been forced to take that training. I'm gonna guess that no one in a school would have taken that.
Special education teachers who work with emotionally disturbed children frequently have PMAB or similar training. However many school systems, for legal reasons, don't permit it to be used.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Special education teachers who work with emotionally disturbed children frequently have PMAB or similar training. However many school systems, for legal reasons, don't permit it to be used.
I would expect SE Teachers to go through that since many have that (is it a mutation) strength.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I would have used a taser too and given him a wedgie as well.

It's really too easy to second-guess cops when they are put in these situations. It's a judgment call. They could have used more force than they did.

I'd like to see how Internal Affairs handles it. If the cop didn't depart from protocol, I don't think he should be disciplined.

The kid will get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies