Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
If an 8 year old kid is coming at me with a sharp piece of wood, and he's violently throwing a tantrum, and I had pepper spray on my belt, you best believe I'd be using it.
God help your kids.

Seriously .... what kind of wimps are you adults that you don't have the ability to bring an 8 year old under control without a complete over reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Pepper spray would be less lethal than a full on taser jolt IMO.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,030,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
God help your kids.

Seriously .... what kind of wimps are you adults that you don't have the ability to bring an 8 year old under control without a complete over reaction.
7 years of martial arts.

I'd be afraid to actually use physical methods to restrain a child coming at me crazed with a sharp implement.

Pepper spray is a better alternative.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,273,371 times
Must have been some damn brave cops to need pepper spray to subdue a second grader.
I am just surprised they did not shoot him.
The idiocy of the police state never fails to amaze me.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,117 times
Quote:
God help your kids.

How would you suggest bringing him under control? To me pepper spray is a good option. The situation got resolved without injuries to anyone. I'd say that talking him down was off the table by that point. If they tried to grapple with him things could have ended differently.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Must have been some damn brave cops to need pepper spray to subdue a second grader.

Again- EXACTLY what alternative would you suggest?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post

What they did was appropriate force.

The idiocy of overreacting common folk never fails to amaze me.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
How would you suggest bringing him under control? To me pepper spray is a good option. The situation got resolved without injuries to anyone. I'd say that talking him down was off the table by that point. If they tried to grapple with him things could have ended differently.
BS ... the average 8 year old is under 4 feet tall and weighs less than 60 pounds. Any semi-competent adult would be able to bring him under control without resorting to pepper spray, etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,146,060 times
Quote:
God help your kids.

A cop could easily physically subdue an 8-year old throwing a temper tantrum. But in weighing the case between either breaking some of the kid's bones (add in a dislocation or two) and possibly getting stabbed (which the kid was trying to do) or knocking him off guard with pepper spray...

They chose pepper spray.

Good choice.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
BS ... the average 8 year old is under 4 feet tall and weighs less than 60 pounds. Any semi-competent adult would be able to bring him under control without resorting to pepper spray, etc.
Let me ask you:

Have you ever been in that sort of situation?

Do you know the strength of a crazed and violent child?

I've trained kids that were completely under control and still managed to suprise me with their strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies