U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,276,087 times

Advertisements

Could someone help me understand why Rich people that are Cocaine, Meth and Oxycotine addicts treated differently than poor people addicted to Crack?

Does that make sense?

Thoughts and Observations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,433,898 times
The well-off can afford decent legal representation. The poor get Legal Aid and Public Defenders who are woefully overworked and understaffed. Most times they plea bargain. If Lindsey Lohan were poor, she would have been in prison 3 DUI's ago.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,012,148 times
Surprise everywhere. The rich get treated differently. Though in my humble opinion one crack bong rich guy just got fired by the White House after only eleven days on the job.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 924,747 times
And, the sad thing, both addicts still get roofs over their heads, food in their belly and medical assistance. But, our poor vets, and the poor people who get life threatening illnesses like cancer, have to hope their insurance that they paid in for years, will cover, or perhaps a church will set up a go fund me account, all along with their home and way of life in jeopardy. Sick that the criminals are treated better with tax payer dollars than innocent, law abiding citizens.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM

20,602 posts, read 10,009,001 times
I can't get to your link, so I don't know what it says. Suffice it to say, the government has done really shady things that people either don't want to admit or don't know about. Bringing drugs into poor black communities is one of them.

Some of the black posters here have asked why opioid addiction is getting all this attention when addiction in black neighborhoods is being treated differently. They blame blanket racism. It isn't blanket, it's the government wanting to keep people enslaved and the government controls the media.

I live in Lake County, IL. There are towns that are upscale and property taxes are among the highest in the country, towns where the demographic is mostly black or Hispanic. Many towns are poorer communities. But we all have one thing in common - a high rate of deaths due to heroin and other opioids.

Last year the county implemented a program called 'A Way Out' where a person can go to a police station and say they need treatment. The cops do not arrest them, they simply help them fill out paperwork and then drive them to the rehab facility. They don't turn anyone away if they can't pay.

• 144 people went to the police to take advantage of this during the past year - the first year of the program.
  • 14 changed their mind before getting to rehab. Not a big deal, the cops don't try to change anyone's mind.
  • 75% of the 130 who entered rehab completed treatment.
  • No data at this time on recidivism - they're waiting to get a report.

This is the way it should be handled everywhere, in my opinion. The police chief in the town that launched it gives talks to other agencies and he said many just give excuses about why it won't work for them....as though arresting people and criminalizing them works.

Article link:

A year in, Mundelein police chief says opioid program showing signs of success - Mundelein Review

Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM

29,365 posts, read 15,419,056 times
Coke is cool. Crack is whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies