Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,166,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
So you're in favor of punishing innocent people for the actions of their ancestors?
Becoming a minority when you were previously in the majority is being punished for the actions of your ancestors?

Oh boy...this is good!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

32 posts, read 19,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think that is the case. After all, it would be foolish to ignore that for the time being there are various ethnic groups and "races". Nobody calls a white person a racist if they acknowledge that they are white.
In my opinion the problem starts when someone tries to maintain their ethnic group as if it were some old painting. Some whites seem to have the odd image in their heads that being white is the ideal, and thus any other admixture is negative. That is probably the reason for the one drop crap.

I don't know of any such country In the US the percentage of blacks has been pretty much the same for decades, and Asians are an even smaller minority. And Hispanics/Latinos are mostly whites themselves...
you say if someone wants to have blonde hair blue eyed children then your ok with that but then you say the problem arises when someone wants to maintain their ethnic group, make up your mind.

oh and only all of western europe, australia, canada and whites will be the minority in the US by 2042.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Becoming a minority when you were previously in the majority is being punished for the actions of your ancestors?

Oh boy...this is good!
theres no reason whites should allow them selves to become a minority in their country.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,722,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No.
See table on the right...
Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,627,040 times
Quote:
Means not a damn thing.

Most people in Latin America are mixed (usually mestizo), and most Latinos in America are either mestizo or mulatto. Not white.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deste View Post
you say if someone wants to have blonde hair blue eyed children then your ok with that but then you say the problem arises when someone wants to maintain their ethnic group, make up your mind.

oh and only all of western europe, australia, canada and whites will be the minority in the US by 2042.
I do see it as a problem, but as I said I don't want to force people to mix. Of course I don't think much of anyone who has such superficial goals such as hair or eye color. But I am aware that maybe 5% or so are radical enough to think that way...

Nonsense, those are old xenophobic scenarios repeated again and again in order to stir racist sentiments... There are some big cities where minorities have become strong, but apart from that the places you mentioned are still pretty white.

I also find it interesting that some people seem to think there is only the distinction between white and non-white. Like, oh, whites only make up 49% of the population, that place is doomed Usually there is no other single minority that has an equally high percentage, but all the other minorities share the slim majority they have.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Means not a damn thing.

Most people in Latin America are mixed (usually mestizo), and most Latinos in America are either mestizo or mulatto. Not white.
I guess your problem is that you have a very narrow definition of white If you really mean white, well, than there have never been any whites anywhere, not even albinos are white.
There seems to be the notion that a dark-skinned Spaniard is less of a white than a Swede, I think that is nonsense. The former is brownish, the latter reddish

What some people seem to mean by white is Northern, like with blond hair and light eyes, usually of British, Scandinavian, Slavic, or German ancestry.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,166,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deste View Post

theres no reason whites should allow them selves to become a minority in their country.
This isn't THEIR country...and it never was and will never be. If they want to be the majority in THEIR country, then they can move to the country of their ancestors origin.

Besides, this is all moot because whites aren't going to be the minority in this country anyway despite the hullabaloo to the contrary. So stop being so scared.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,760,249 times
Quote:
I guess your problem is that you have a very narrow definition of white If you really mean white, well, than there have never been any whites anywhere, not even albinos are white.
There seems to be the notion that a dark-skinned Spaniard is less of a white than a Swede, I think that is nonsense. The former is brownish, the latter reddish
Yea whatever Neuling.

Lucario is correct. Hispanic is really a cultural/language group.

A Hispanic can be a white (Fidel Castro, Vincente Fox), black (Orlando Hernandez), Indigenous/Mestiso (too many to mention), or a mix of all three in various degrees.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yea whatever Neuling.

Lucario is correct. Hispanic is really a cultural/language group.

A Hispanic can be a white (Fidel Castro, Vincente Fox), black (Orlando Hernandez), Indigenous/Mestiso (too many to mention), or a mix of all three in various degrees.
Sure, there are a lot of mixed-race Latinos (although not the majority). Then again, if Mestizos are of White and Indio, i.e. Asian ancestry, who is to decide whether they are White or Asian? Or raceless? Or do we invent a new race for every mix?
Don't many people still simply apply the one drop rule, maybe even unknowingly, i.e. he looks mixed, thus he is not white. Naturally the Asians would have to argue the same way.
If we applied the same logic to Blacks, there would be hardly any Blacks in the US as most of them have admixtures.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,721,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Oh boy...this is good!

No, but punishing people today for actions of their ancestors is. It doesn't matter about minorities and majorities. Whatever happened in generations past should have no impact on people living today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.