Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM

74 posts, read 78,745 times

Advertisements

I just received an alert from MoveOn.org regarding a secret budget plan concerning Medicare. I do not have a link to it but will show pertinent parts of the e-mail to back up this situation:

"From: Justin Ruben, MoveOn.org Political Action <moveon-help@list.moveon.org>

"Subject: Abolish Medicare?
To: "Richard W. Firth" <firthrichardw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, April 7, 2011, 6:55 PM

"Republicans just released their budget plan and it abolishes Medicare. Even for Republicans, that's a pretty radical step. So we're trying to get every Republican, including Rep. Cantor, on the record. Can you call him and ask if he'll oppose the plan to abolish Medicare?"

As I read the alert it just gets worse.

"On Tuesday, the Republicans released a new budget plan that abolishes Medicare within 10 years.

"Republicans were already threatening to shut down the government at the end of the week,2 but the budget plan they released yesterday takes things to a new level.

"They want to eliminate the guarantee of medical care to seniors in America. Their budget plan would replace Medicare with vouchers that seniors would use to pay Big Insurance. And if the vouchers aren't enough to pay for their care—and the Congressional Budget Office says they won't be—too bad."

I called Cantor's office and when I pressed for an answer the staffer rudely and promptly hung up.

I had to call Cantor's office on another issue and after I got finished regarding that issued I again brought up how the previous staffer handled my request on the budget issue and again the staffer promptly hung up. I finally got a courteous staffer in the Richmond office who will forward a formal complaint to the Washington office as well as a demand for an answer.

Seniors it is time to shut this government down for good, padlock the doors, make citizen arrests and throw them in jail. They are the most corrupt bunch be they democrats or republicans and it is time to start a third party and get rid of the other two. Enough is enough.

People I am going viral with, posting it now on WTVR Forum and then the internet.

I will send one of the nastiest faxes to Cantor he ever received. I AM HOT AND FURIOUS AND I INTEND TO LIGHT A FIRE UNDER THAT INEPT GROUP OF THERE WHO CLAIM TO REPRESENT US AND DON'T ENOUGH IS ENOUGH DON'T TREAD ON ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
cantor, who won his district bcs his only opponent "other". sad. Well they may not want to get re-elected then, as more and more seniors require long term care.

Also there is a growing faction of Independents whose first order of business is "vote the bums out"....people are disgusted with business as usual. Also Cantor needs to work with his PR people, on tv his image comes across as a sniveling rabbit.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM

515 posts, read 368,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
I just received an alert from MoveOn.org regarding a secret budget plan concerning Medicare.
I couldn't read more after that, I was so LOL

Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
I couldn't read more after that, I was so LOL

It is no secret.

It's called the Ryan Rivlin medicare plan.

Here are some links

GOP Medicare Plan Could Share Common Ground With 'Obamacare' Exchanges - FoxNews.com

http:/www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/119xx/doc11966/11-17-Rivlin-Ryan_Preliminary_Analysis.pdf (broken link)

House budget chairman to propose Medicare, Medicaid changes - CNN

Paul Ryan's radical plans for Medicare, Medicaid - CBS News

Be advised I provided links from all across the spectrum to mitigate a perception of "bias" by those who are hypersensitive.

The under publicized caveat is that Ryan's plan only guarantees a voucher, it doesn't guarantee that people will receive medical treatment. In other words, you'll have some money to buy private insurance, but nothing says that an insurance company cannot deny coverage, reduce benefits, increase fees, or out right drop you from medical care.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM

515 posts, read 368,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
It is no secret.

It's called the Ryan Rivlin medicare plan.

Here are some links

GOP Medicare Plan Could Share Common Ground With 'Obamacare' Exchanges - FoxNews.com

http:/www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/119xx/doc11966/11-17-Rivlin-Ryan_Preliminary_Analysis.pdf (broken link)

House budget chairman to propose Medicare, Medicaid changes - CNN

Paul Ryan's radical plans for Medicare, Medicaid - CBS News

Be advised I provided links from all across the spectrum to mitigate a perception of "bias" by those who are hypersensitive.

The under publicized caveat is that Ryan's plan only guarantees a voucher, it doesn't guarantee that people will receive medical treatment. In other words, you'll have some money to buy private insurance, but nothing says that an insurance company cannot deny coverage, reduce benefits, increase fees, or out right drop you from medical care.
I don't have a problem with this.We can't pay that anymore, a welfare state reform is necessary.I'm a young student, and I don't want to pay much higher taxes to pay Medicare.And we need an Education Reform too, we lack doctors and scientists, and too many underskilled people.
Better skilled people = less burdensome Medicare.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
So I guess the Repugs think people are going to pay the long term nursing home fees of 8-10k per month in cash??. really, what world are they living in.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
I don't have a problem with this.We can't pay that anymore, a welfare state reform is necessary.I'm a young student, and I don't want to pay much higher taxes to pay Medicare.And we need an Education Reform too, we lack doctors and scientists, and too many underskilled people.
Better skilled people = less burdensome Medicare.
OK.

Now, have you read any of the links?

The bulk of Ryan's plan doesn't kick in until 2021. That's 10 years from now.

Why should my children and I work and pay income taxes, SS taxes, Medicare taxes for an additional 10 years when we are going to get less than those who are 55 and over today?

I say start these vouchers NOW.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
OP, try to understand what is really propsed, it is not to abolish medicare, it is to reajust and give seniors a better choise. I stopped as soon as I saw Moveover.com. What a disgraceful media outlet they are.

Nita

Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Better dead than red!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Of course liberals are clueless.

We have to find ways to get the younger people OFF of medicare and get them to fund themselves in THEIR future.

Liberals need to stop the lying!!!

This will NOT effect anyone who is on medicare or who is 55 or older.

We must find ways to get the younger people to pay for their own needs.

If we start this now the younger people will be fine.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and the reps are of course getting people to do just that.

Liberals of course want to reward people for never doing anything right.

Move on dot what?

Give me a break. The liberal loon network is sending out this BS and the robots are repeating it. Amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies