Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Does anything in Mumbles Menino's EO say anything about preventing people from bringing in whatever they want to eat?

So I guess you're for controlling others lives then? Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So I guess you're for controlling others lives then? Got it.
I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said that people are still free to bring in soda or anything else they want to eat. Nothing in Menino's EO changes that. There's no right being violated here, despite your whining. Nobody is being forced to do anything. Were people being forced to drink unhealthy sodas when the city put soda vending machines in their buildings? Of course not. People are not being forced to drink healthy beverages now that they're changing their vending machines.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said that people are still free to bring in soda or anything else they want to eat. Nothing in Menino's EO changes that. There's no right being violated here, despite your whining. Nobody is being forced to do anything. Were people being forced to drink unhealthy sodas when the city put soda vending machines in their buildings? Of course not. People are not being forced to drink healthy beverages now that they're changing their vending machines.

So why couldn't both vending machines exist? And I'm sure that sooner or later they'll start policing what people bring for lunch. I'm not whining by the way! I'm sick of the nanny state, and the holier than thou types trying to push their agendas down everyone elses throat, because they may not like someone elses choices! Seriously, you're OK with the over regulating that is going on in today's world? Whatever happened to individual responsibility for their actions, and the right for people to make their own damn decisions?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Big deal, if ya really want a sugary drink bring it from home or get off your lazy butt, walk outside on a break and buy one.

And just why were unions mentioned here other than being just another whiny, baseless anti-union cheap shot?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
Quote:
So why couldn't both vending machines exist?
Limited space and funding. There are significant electric costs in having a vending machine.

Quote:
And I'm sure that sooner or later they'll start policing what people bring for lunch.
If that happens, then I'll agree with you that the city is going too far.

Quote:
I'm not whining by the way!
You're throwing a fit because the city is going to put in vending machines with beverages healthier than Coke and Pepsi and initially claimed that this was violating individual rights before I called you out on it and you admitted that there is no right to a soda vending machine.

I would call that whining.

Quote:
Seriously, you're OK with the over regulating that is going on in today's world? Whatever happened to individual responsibility for their actions, and the right for people to make their own damn decisions?
For the third time, is there anything in Menino's EO that prevents a person from bringing in a soda themselves? Is there anything in Menino's EO that says that people CANNOT eat unhealthy foods in city buildings?

Quote:
Those building are owned by the PEOPLE. The PEOPLE should have that say, not the dictators running the government.
Hold on, didn't you say just today that direct democracy is tyranny and is a bad thing? Aren't you above all else a fan of republicanism? And in a republic, people have their say through their elected representatives. Menino was elected by the people of Boston to run the city. Another fantastic SourD post!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Of course it's not there. Please tell me why the government or anyone else should dictate what others can or can't consume? Is someone who wants to enjoy a soda harming your health in any way shape or form?
C'mon, didn't you know that if you drink a soda, you're an instant diabetic?

And instant obese, too, and you know how much these evil people "cost"!

Looks like Mumbles hasn't missed any meals and treats, though.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
re OP; omg is this the best fear and smear tactic left?...that unions arent defending that their kids drink Cheerwine?.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to individual responsibility for their actions, and the right for people to make their own damn decisions?
for the most part, the public's free choice has been taken away by the food and beverage industry. They are dumping ton of high fructose corn syrup into everything they make. Try reading the labels and finding anything that doesn't have it, it is next to impossible. I know, I haven't eaten anything with HFCS in over a year. In the past year I have gone from 225 to 185 without increased exercise or dieting.

How is it a free choice, if the food and beverage industry is NOT providing a clear choice not to consume HFCS.

The corn sugar industry claims HFCS is exactly the same as sugar, but that is not true. while they both contain the same components (fructose and glucose) it is how the two main components are either bonded together (sugar) or not bonded together (HFCS) that dictates how the body metabolizes the fructose. Because the fructose is not bound to the glucose in HFCS it is easily metabolized and quickly converted to fat by the body. High-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain, researchers find

The mayor is only responding to science, HFCS is not good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies