Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Who is being punished? Who's benefits are being taken away. The further away you get, I think the more garbled the message becomes.
As quoted above Christie told firefighters "For 20 years, governors have come into this room and lied to you, promised you benefits that they had no way of paying for, making promises they knew they couldn’t keep, and just hoping that they wouldn’t be the man or women left holding the bag. I understand why you feel angry and betrayed and deceived by those people. Here’s what I don’t understand. Why are you booing the first guy who came in here and told you the truth?”

Are you now saying not getting what you've been promised isn't being punished for the lies of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Workers weren't promised anything that the taxpayers could not afford.

NJ sweetened those pensions massively over the past 10 years, and if those idiots in the public union leadership thought that they would get lifetime free healthcare and COLA-plus adjusted pensions without having to significantly contribute to them while watching the state's real estate tax go through the roof, then they have no one to blame but themselves. As Christie himself said in a speech to some firefighters:

"He crumpled up his prepared remarks and threw them on the floor. He told them, “Here’s the deal: I understand you’re angry, and I understand you’re frustrated, and I understand you feel deceived and betrayed.” And, he said, they were right: “For 20 years, governors have come into this room and lied to you, promised you benefits that they had no way of paying for, making promises they knew they couldn’t keep, and just hoping that they wouldn’t be the man or women left holding the bag. I understand why you feel angry and betrayed and deceived by those people. Here’s what I don’t understand. Why are you booing the first guy who came in here and told you the truth?”"

The governor himself admits workers were lied to and made promises that couldn't be kept. Your point is what? That those lies are somehow justified? That labor should pay for the mistakes of management?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Four Republican Governors are facing recall due not only to their insane and irrational behaviors and actions in the recent months, but their continued assault on their communities and the people of their State.

Governor Scott Walker R-WI

Governor John Kasich R-OH

Governor Jan Brewer R-AZ

Governor Rick Snyder R-MI

Here's to good times....
It's a shame Rick Perry from Texas isn't on that list. Where are the dems when you need them.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Four Republican Govenor's facing recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Four Republican Governors are facing recall due not only to their insane and irrational behaviors and actions in the recent months, but their continued assault on their communities and the people of their State.

Governor Scott Walker R-WI

Governor John Kasich R-OH

Governor Jan Brewer R-AZ

Governor Rick Snyder R-MI

Here's to good times....
Which is these Governors has actually been served with notice that a petition has been completed, validated and filed for the purpose of recall, pending an election?

If NONE, then don't you really mean the idea is a waste of bandwidth?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As quoted above Christie told firefighters "For 20 years, governors have come into this room and lied to you, promised you benefits that they had no way of paying for, making promises they knew they couldn’t keep, and just hoping that they wouldn’t be the man or women left holding the bag. I understand why you feel angry and betrayed and deceived by those people. Here’s what I don’t understand. Why are you booing the first guy who came in here and told you the truth?”

Are you now saying not getting what you've been promised isn't being punished for the lies of others?

Of course it isn't being punished. Time to grow up folks. Were people, who lost their jobs or had their pay or hours reduced during the recession punished? I don't think so. Times and situations change. The way we address politicians who make mistakes is to not re-elect them. Chrisites predecessors had the opportunity to bring the public employees into line but they didn't want to, they used public funds to buy their votes. These people (Corzine) was tossed from office because people finally caught onto what they were doing.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Four Republican Govenor's facing recall

Which is these Governors has actually been served with notice that a petition has been completed, validated and filed for the purpose of recall, pending an election?

If NONE, then don't you really mean the idea is a waste of bandwidth?

Zero, it is more evidnece of the grasping at straws on the left. This Supreme Court issue really has sent them into orbit.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course it isn't being punished. Time to grow up folks. Were people, who lost their jobs or had their pay or hours reduced during the recession punished? I don't think so. Times and situations change. The way we address politicians who make mistakes is to not re-elect them. Chrisites predecessors had the opportunity to bring the public employees into line but they didn't want to, they used public funds to buy their votes. These people (Corzine) was tossed from office because people finally caught onto what they were doing.
So, if you had a contract to get a certain amount of work done on your residence at a set price you'd have no problem when the contractor came to you and said times have been tough so I'll only be doing 75% of the work for 100% of the price you'd have no problem with that, right? Or is that only OK when it doesn't affect you?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
So, if you had a contract to get a certain amount of work done on your residence at a set price you'd have no problem when the contractor came to you and said times have been tough so I'll only be doing 75% of the work for 100% of the price you'd have no problem with that, right? Or is that only OK when it doesn't affect you?
Those contracts are signed by politicians representing the state. Why should tossing the politicians absolve the state of its responsibilities? By your logic a treaty signed by the US during one president's term would become null & void when a new president took office.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:

It is a little different. The contract with public employees did not guarantee employment. Chrisite asked the teachers to accept a pay freeze and contribute modestly to their benefits. They were free to refuse but some teachers would then lose their jobs. See my point about growing up?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Those contracts are signed by politicians representing the state. Why should tossing the politicians absolve the state of its responsibilities? By your logic a treaty signed by the US during one president's term would become null & void when a new president took office.

See above, you clearly don't understand the issues involved in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies