U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 10,509,476 times

Advertisements

Someone asked me to provide more information on this subject, so here goes. In essence the Feds (that's us) own the land that the wild mustangs have resided on for generations. They also allow ranchers to graze cattle on these lands. BLM has decided that there isn't enough forage for the both of them, and have been moving the horses from the land to large holding areas. They are now holding 30,000 plus. The cost of feed is born by us taxpayers and is enormous. The holding areas have no shade, are crowded and barren dirt. The horses just stand there. Some get adopted, some go to auction and can be sent to slaughter. Most are there indefinitely. Madeine Pickens has been trying to work with BLM to release them to land she purchased for a sanctuary.

the latest roundup

Calico Roundup - Nevada
-2700+ horses to be removed, started in dead of winter on December 28 to continue for two months
-cattle permits have been increased exponentially in one portion of the range, several thousand cattle graze in Calico
-1/2 million acre area- BLM says it takes 150 acres to support a wild horse, therefore Calico could support 3,300+ horses. Not the 300 or so BLM plans to leave.
-photos and footage taken in October show fat and healthy wild horses in this area
-little to no damage found in this area by independent ecologist Craig Downer in Oct. scouting trip and Nov. flyover of the area
- Lawsuit by In Defense of Animals made BLM delay start of roundup until 12/28 (originally planned to start 12/8)
-Judge Paul L. Friedman denied Temporary Restraining Order in DC district court but suggested that BLM delay this non-emergency roundup.
-despite 10,000+ public comments on their roundup environmental assessment the BLM began roundup on
-Dangerous winter Roundup will take over 2 months and cost $1.9 million dollars just to round the horses up. (Additional cost for transport, branding, processing, vaccinating etc expected to be an $1 million or more.)
-this hasty roundup removes 80-90% of the horses left in this “stronghold of the American mustang” where the last major herd complex roams.

PROTESTS: Worldwide Protests are taking place- San Francisco, Chicago, Colorado, Idaho, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Reno, NYC, Sacramento, Denver protests with London, Toronto and Switzerland protests planned

These are American wild horses on our public lands. People are standing up in protest around the world to stop this government sponsored cruelty and misguided management. The world is watching and people are outraged at this assault on America’s wild horses.

for the latest information, here is a link to Madeine Pickens site. Scroll down for dates.
http://www.madeleinepickens.com/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM

4,470 posts, read 7,248,742 times
NOT sure why this post is under food and Drink: but me thinks someone should move it to another forum.

Not interested in buying horses or raising cattle....
HW in the West

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,781,636 times
Damn Free Grazers!!!! (In an Irish accent)

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

23,417 posts, read 33,628,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
NOT sure why this post is under food and Drink: but me thinks someone should move it to another forum.

Not interested in buying horses or raising cattle....
HW in the West
I'm with you, this thread shouldnt be here.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM

I am new here, and this was where a poster suggested I put it. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate location. I think the idea is that if people stop eating beef, then the horses can stay on the land and graze. That's not likely, since the cows outnumber the horses around 10 to 1, and mismanagement is really the problem, if there is one.
Hopefully, you found it of interest.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,294,179 times
I asked for it to be put here and maybe it is the wrong place. My fault if it is in the wrong place, sorry Claud. It probably would be better in the debate forum, green forum, or something else. My bad.

I don't think not eating meat is the answer.

How/why are there cattle permits on gov't land? Is the gov't raising their own beef now?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-12-2011 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,931,174 times
The meat industry is also draining a sizable amount of the planet's water.
I found a short video that can shed some light on this...

According to the video, the demand for meat continues to rise each year and if this accellerated pace keep up, the results could be disasterous for the health of humans as well as the environment.
I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and tell everyone they need to stop eating meat, what people eat is their choice, of course...but IF enough people were to cut their meat comsumption down, I believe it could make a difference.

YouTube - Livestock production & the environment

Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM

I would agree with that luv. I can't imagine my dogs going vege, but I guess some have been successful at doing that. Cattle consume roughly 13-16 pounds of grain, for every pound consumed. This figure varies, but it's way more than we get back out of this investment. Now we are growing corn for ethanol, subsidized by our generous government. I don't recall how much water is consumed for that lb. of beef, but it's a lot. Then you look at the land that must be provided for a cow, that could be growing something for people. It is not logical, just because something is pleasing to the taste buds.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I asked for it to be put here and maybe it is the wrong place. My fault if it is in the wrong place, sorry Claud. It probably would be better in the debate forum, green forum, or something else. My bad.

I don't think not eating meat is the answer.

How/why are there cattle permits on gov't land? Is the gov't raising their own beef now?
Under its multiple-use management mandate, the Bureau administers more than 18,000 grazing permits and leases and nearly 13 million authorized livestock animal unit months on 160 million acres of public rangeland. BLM manages rangelands and facilities for 57,000 wild horses and burros. The 253 million acres of public land administered by the BLM includes over 117,000 miles of fisheries habitat.
About the BLM
It's like the EPA, give them an inch, and they take over. They are entrusted with management, which means they can do anything they please, and the taxpayers pick up the tab. (and the heartache of losing our wild horses)

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,294,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Under its multiple-use management mandate, the Bureau administers more than 18,000 grazing permits and leases and nearly 13 million authorized livestock animal unit months on 160 million acres of public rangeland. BLM manages rangelands and facilities for 57,000 wild horses and burros. The 253 million acres of public land administered by the BLM includes over 117,000 miles of fisheries habitat.
About the BLM
It's like the EPA, give them an inch, and they take over. They are entrusted with management, which means they can do anything they please, and the taxpayers pick up the tab. (and the heartache of losing our wild horses)
Thanks Claud! I did not know that, interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies