Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Homosexuality is a mistake. Human beings who are homosexual are not mistakes. I know for some, that may be a distinction they cannot comprehend -- that is, the distinction between humans and conditions -- but it's valid.

Maybe I can get some activism going to declare my arthritis "normal" and not a joint disease.
What scientific evidence do you have that homosexuality is a "mistake", seeing as you are apparently more scientifically intelligent then every major reputable scientific organization on the planet.

Obviously you have more evidence than your own bigoted opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Thanks for your OPINION.
Not opinion. If you have people continuously shouting that what the boy wrong for liking a certain color of body paint manufactured in China, then you have the need for therapy. If you allow him to express himself in traditional means, he will be able to be fully adjusted. Really, it becomes a big deal when people arbitrarily impose their set of cultural norms on others.

Live and let live.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Homosexuality is a mistake. Human beings who are homosexual are not mistakes. I know for some, that may be a distinction they cannot comprehend -- that is, the distinction between humans and conditions -- but it's valid.

Maybe I can get some activism going to declare my arthritis "normal" and not a joint disease.
Have you read any SCIENTIFIC literature on the matter? It seems as if you're illiterate on the subject. Besides, non-normative gender behavior is somewhat normal in little kids and that does not always correspond to homosexuality. Continued gender non conformity is correlated with homosexuality however. Which in of itself is not bad or a MISTAKE.

Being a bigot, is a mistake btw.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You deny there isn't a gay agenda? They aren't out to normalize and desensitize people, starting with children, to their abnormal behavior? What do you think gay marriage is all about? Won't be long before they are teaching this wonderful alternate lifestyle in pre-school.
Equality is the gay agenda. That's it!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
What scientific evidence do you have that homosexuality is a "mistake", seeing as you are apparently more scientifically intelligent then every major reputable scientific organization on the planet.

Obviously you have more evidence than your own bigoted opinion?
Once you resort to name calling, you've lost your argument.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Have you read any SCIENTIFIC literature on the matter? It seems as if you're illiterate on the subject. Besides, non-normative gender behavior is somewhat normal in little kids and that does not always correspond to homosexuality. Continued gender non conformity is correlated with homosexuality however. Which in of itself is not bad or a MISTAKE.

Being a bigot, is a mistake btw.
Same for you; once you resort to name calling, you've lost your argument.

Btw, your comment is not even relevant to my post at all. Perhaps you clicked on the wrong post.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:

You seem to be doing a lot of backtracking on this subject...either that or you should learn to articulate your opinions so that you don't have to backtrack.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Once you resort to name calling, you've lost your argument.
Learn epigentics. Study the genome. Study the hormonal environment of the womb. Learn actylation and methylation. Learn TATA box functions.

I hate how science is left to the wayside of this "debate".

Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM

143 posts, read 377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Here's what a prominent Psychiatrist has to say:

"A recent feature in J. Crew's online catalogue portrays designer Jenna Lyons painting her son Beckett’s toe nails hot pink. The quote accompanying the image reads, “Lucky for me, I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink. Toenail painting is way more fun in neon.”
Yeah, well, it may be fun and games now, Jenna, but at least put some money aside for psychotherapy for the kid—and maybe a little for others who’ll be affected by your “innocent” pleasure."

Read more: J. Crew Plants the Seeds for Gender Identity - FoxNews.com
First off, I don't see any implication that the writer of the article, Dr. Keith Ablow is an respected psychiatrist in his field. Sure, he may be well known, but so is Paris Hilton. A cursory scholarly search indicates the guy has published no papers in his field since the mid-90's. His layman books are not exactly peer-reviewed, but then again, he's not conducting large scale double-blinded, randomized studies, is he?

I hope that Dr. Ablow is aware that homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disorder in the DSM-IV. Nor is homosexuality thought to be caused by gender specific behavior. Even at my conservative medical school, his attitude towards a pink painted toenail would bring jeers amongst the psychiatry establishment as well as the medical students (psychotherapy for participating in a simple artsy activity?).

Frankly, I'm not sure how painting's a boy's toenails will confuse him. I see plenty of guys wear pink shirts, and plenty of guys painting themselves in a myriad of colors.

However, judging from the hand-wringing of certain posters here, I can see how adult reaction towards the little boy's pink toenail could cause him distress.

The solution seems quite simple: stop picking on a kid because he likes to have his nails painted pink! Then he may grow up thinking that he can be a heterosexual male and still express his artsy side. Good grief!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
It's funny how so many people try to equate gender identity to sexuality. Once you learn that they are not the same, then you can have an opinion on this subject. Til then, go get educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies