U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,251,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Obama first to put tax increases on budget table - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110412/ap_on_re_us/us_spending_showdown_taxes - broken link)

Wondering how this will go over? Everyone wants the government to fix our deficit but noone wants to raise taxes, it will be interesting to see what Congress as a whole as to say about this. I cannot understand how ANYONE can scream for fiscal responsiblity but yet are unwilling to raise taxes.
When all you do is scream, but don't actually produce, you're nothing but a "present-voting" president.

Of course he's the first to put them on the table. They're wildly unpopular. And if Obama's nothing else, he is clueless about doing the smart thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Clinton. His tax plan was wildly successful and led the country to the best economy in history. Returning the tax plan back to the very successful Clinton plan like it was suppose to would cut back the deficit by epic proportions.
Let's give credit where credit is due. It was congress' tax cuts under the presidency of Clinton.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,138,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I do not believe that the government should be entitled to ANY more of our money. If they can't work with what we already give them well too bad, they need to tighten their belts. They obviously do not know how to keep within a budget. I think everyone running the government should have their pay cut and learn how to fly economy.
It's because of the wars.

We started this 8 plus years ago with an unfunded invasion in Iraq. Then Afghanistan. Now Libya.

Before we enter wars, our government needs to fund them immediately. You either tax the citizens to pay for the war or you cut spending to pay for the war, or you do both. Neither was done.

How did anyone think this was going to play out?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh "demwits" my god you're so FUNNY. Despite falling off my chair laughing at your original wit I would like to say that being a "lefty" I still want to cut spending. I want to cut a lot of spending. I want to SLASH the military/defense/offense/empire budget. Stop the "war" on drugs, close some of hundreds of foreign military bases, close tax loopholes for the megarich and giant corporations, gut out pork barrel spending, end the Bush tax cuts, end all three of our wars, allow for the purchase of cheaper drugs from Canada, end bailouts for irresponsible giant corporations and Wall St crooks, etc.

That won't dig us completely out of this hole but it's a start. From there I'd put a tax on derivatives, legalize marijuana and put a heavy "sin" tax on it, put large "sin" taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, and gambling. I think we'd be fine, and the rich would be able to "squeak by" if we raised the tax rates back to those "god awful" 90s rates. We should create a progressive estate tax that starts at $1 million. Also, we should create more tax brackets at the top of the income ladder so that those making 250-300 thousand aren't taxed the same as those making considerably more.

We also need to stop sending American jobs to places like China, India, and Mexico. The jobs that leave our shores are often replaced with jobs that pay significantly less. For instance a middle class man may lose his job at his manufacturing plant to China, and his job is "replaced" abroad with a low paying McJob. That not only decreases our tax revenue but this man will have bills and a family budget planned around a middle class job and may be forced to go on social aid to make ends meet or risk losing everything. Our "free" trade agreements are burning the American candle at both ends.
Ah yes, cut the military and stick it to businesses. But leave sacred entitlements alone. I just have to go to the cowboy poetry festival this year....

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We know. Bush spent like a drunk sailor. His wars, which accomplished nothing, help to bankrupt America also.
Presidents don't spend.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,657,931 times
To end the budget deficit:

1. Massive cuts in federal spending MUST be made. This includes the "sacred cows" of Social Security and Medicare. It also includes: Military spending (yes, if necessary, shutting down bases in foreign countries, pulling out of Iraq/Afghanistan), federal welfare programs, unemployment payouts, et al. It ALL has to be cut and cut hard.

2. Temporary tax increases MUST be made. Notice I said TEMPORARY. There also HAS to be a provision, any tax increases MUST go to reducing the deficit and NOTHING else.

3. The 47% of persons/households, who pay no taxes, MUST be made to pay taxes.

4. Absolutely, positively, NO PAYOUTS, in anyway, shape or form, to ILLEGAL ALIENS. A constitutional amendment needs to made, to bar people who have children in this country, to be Americans. They are only under the eyes of the law. Most people, on a personal level, don't recognize it.

You do those four things and the budget would be brought under control in about 10 years. Do nothing, and standby for World War III.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,068,373 times
What number comes after trillion? I have a feeling I'm going to find out if I live another couple decades.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

316 posts, read 246,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Easy. Cut spending.
HArd to do when we have a large group of people in this country who rely on the handouts and don't want them cut. In my opinion, they shouldn't be able to vote.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,463,582 times
The harder he pushes for taxes, the more likely he is to continue to infuriate the millions of Americans who can't get a job, are sick of his policies which are responsible for skyrocketing prices for groceries and gasoline,with plenty of help from his equally incompetent Treasury & Energy Secretaries.

Those blockheads and their policies will enhance his chances of losing next year, since his continuation of such imbecilic and unconscionable policies will leave our economy in the comatose condition in which it current sits thanks to him & his party.

It was their wholesale and deliberate gutting of the underwriting polcies for homebuyers in the mid-nineties thanks to 'Slick Willie', Barney, Chris, Charlie, Maxine, Cisneros & Cuomo (NY's new governor) which destroyed our economy and ravaged the middle class in manners that none of them born after WW II had every experienced.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Another broken promise and lie from the Obomber.

He said he was going to cut taxes for 95% of ALL Americans.

Now he finds out people understand how much money he has stolen and wasted away of ours and he wants us handing him more? Not way in hell.

He has proven to us all he cannot handle money or financial matters and we should not give him any more of our own tax money to use for his re election bid behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies