Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the estimate of 9 million is...
Overinflated! 24 15.48%
Undercounted! 61 39.35%
Irrelevant! 53 34.19%
Shocking! 7 4.52%
Fantastic! 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You and the others have yet to actually name a single right that is being denied. Can you do that?

What right do I have that the 3% of people claiming to be gay don't? Can you name a single one?
Here's a simple one:

Consider a women business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a man who works for her business. One the the civil rights she gets from her marriage is that she doesn't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on her husband's wages.

Now consider a woman business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a woman who works for her business. No go on that tax break. Despite being married, she has to pay unemployment insurance tax on her wife's wages because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another one:

Consider an Iowan man who marries a woman from France. One of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that his foreign French wife gets to come and live with him in American (and work here if she wants) under a spousal immigration visa.

Now consider an Iowan man who marries a man from France. No go on being able to live together. His spouse is not allowed to get a spousal immigration visa because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another:

Consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a women. Two of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that he gets paid more in the form of a family housing allowance and his wife gets to shop at the base commissary.

Now consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a man. No go on those either. He does not get an increased family housing allowance and his husband cannot shop at the base commissary because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing those civil rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
What's next? You going to sue because a man can't enter the women's restroom? So what? Men and women are different. boo hoo.
No, laws governing that have a legitimate basis: privacy, prevention of bathroom prostitution, obscenity, etc.

Laws outlawing gay marriage do not.

And thanks for the expected logical fallacy argument. I can always count on you for that.

Quote:
Honestly...your equal protection whine is getting old. I have the exact same marriage rights as a gay man. No difference. No equal protection violation.
Well get used to it, because it is the central, and very successful argument made in every single gay marriage case now and in the future.

The fact that you do not comprehend the law will have no effect on how the judges rule.

The problem here, Calvinist, is that you are either unwilling or unable to understand how equal protection works.

Again, the lawyers arguing FOR GAY MARRIAGE BANS don't make these arguments.

Why do you think that is, eh?

LOL

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM

415 posts, read 449,601 times
Quote:

Is that relevant? Does the law care if you or I are gay?

I know it's tough to actually be given logical reasoning here...but you'll have to stretch your mind a bit.
Yeah, cause then it';s irrelevant for you. It's the same as the ban on interracial marriage. I can't marry him or her unless he/he is of the same race...

You make things up.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Oh this is so undercounted. Go look at Craigslist under the M4M Personal ads and I would not be surprised if more than half of those ads are for married men. Maybe true homosexuals are only about 3-4% but bisexuals have to be around 8-10% on top of that.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
Because it's the same as the ban on interracial marriage. You make things up.
You're right, it's hopeless with some of these people.

Again, this is the reason the LSAT tests people on logic, analytical reasoning and reading comprehension...

Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Such a small population for such a Big Agenda.
The democratic party needs them. It's doing what it should. It's taking care of their own. If only conservatives had a party of their own.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
There's what? 300 million or so people in this country?

That's about one in 30...maybe 3% of the population. Probably fairly accurate. It's also a good illustration of the fact that we should not reorder society for a group that small.
Considering that only 1% of the populace in the world claims to be a Calvinist, I guess it would be perfectly fine with you to impose the will of the majorities on your belief system.

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Oh this is so undercounted. Go look at Craigslist under the M4M Personal ads and I would not be surprised if more than half of those ads are for married men. Maybe true homosexuals are only about 3-4% but bisexuals have to be around 8-10% on top of that.
In fact, I would say that many won't qualify as bisexuals but act to be heterosexuals to meet societal/familial expectations.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's a simple one:

Consider a women business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a man who works for her business. One the the civil rights she gets from her marriage is that she doesn't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on her husband's wages.

Now consider a woman business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a woman who works for her business. No go on that tax break. Despite being married, she has to pay unemployment insurance tax on her wife's wages because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another one:

Consider an Iowan man who marries a woman from France. One of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that his foreign French wife gets to come and live with him in American (and work here if she wants) under a spousal immigration visa.

Now consider an Iowan man who marries a man from France. No go on being able to live together. His spouse is not allowed to get a spousal immigration visa because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another:

Consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a women. Two of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that he gets paid more in the form of a family housing allowance and his wife gets to shop at the base commissary.

Now consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a man. No go on those either. He does not get an increased family housing allowance and his husband cannot shop at the base commissary because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing those civil rights.
Well duh. They can all just divorce their current spouses and marry someone of the opposite gender and get all those benefits. Clearly they still have the same rights!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sounds very underinflated. Gays make up anywhere from 2-5% of the population, but when you factor in bisexuals, it's closer to 10% or about 30 million.

And I'm quite certain the statistics on bisexuals is way off, since I think being 100% hetero or 100% homosexual is very uncommon and most people fall somewhere in the middle, even if they will never admit it.
I believe you to be right about the numbers of homosexuals. I believe the numbers to much higher. In regards to heteros, I'm just not so sure of that.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Such a small population for such a Big Agenda.
I know, so efficient in the schools and the bastards stole the rainbow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies