Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,867,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Here in NC, we cannot carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, whether drinking or not. We are not allowed to drink while carrying. If I take the family out to any eating place that serves any alcohol, I have to leave my weapon in the car. Most restaurants here serve alcohol, relatively few do not. I am presently disallowed to carry there, even if I do not drink. No loss there, I seldom drink anyway and most of that is at home.

Keep in mind that we don't go to places known for trouble, or in bad neighborhoods. But things happen when least expected too. We've had armed robberies at various fast food places, gas stations & stores that are in good neighborhoods, serving "nice" people. If we get accosted when going to or leaving a place, I am at a disadvantage against an armed thug. Yes, most thugs around here are armed and carry, even in "gun free" zones.
I am like you in this, except I willingly would break that law. So long as nothing happens inside the place, no one is going to know I am armed anyway. If something does, everyone else would be pretty happy I was armed.

Laws I can't understand I will break. I am not the predator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM

2,599 posts, read 3,113,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am like you in this, except I willingly would break that law. So long as nothing happens inside the place, no one is going to know I am armed anyway. If something does, everyone else would be pretty happy I was armed.

Laws I can't understand I will break. I am not the predator.
Tempting as it is, I don't carry where I'm not allowed. Knowing my luck, I would be the one caught doing it, for some reason or other & I'd be the one to pay the price. These are hard times and I can't afford to pay bail and stand trial, lose the privilege, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
Quote:
Tempting as it is, I don't carry where I'm not allowed. Knowing my luck, I would be the one caught doing it, for some reason or other & I'd be the one to pay the price. These are hard times and I can't afford to pay bail and stand trial, lose the privilege, etc.

That's just it. our 2nd amendment is not a privilege. IT IS A RIGHT!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM

665 posts, read 1,723,346 times
Quote:
I am like you in this, except I willingly would break that law. So long as nothing happens inside the place, no one is going to know I am armed anyway.

If something does, everyone else would be pretty happy I was armed.

Another hero wanabe

petty scary

Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Another hero wanabe

petty scary

Ignorance breeds fear.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,342,332 times
Quote:
I also do not carry where I am not allowed. The difference being that it is not government who is not allowing the firearms. In Alaska, a homeowner or business owner may choose to not allow firearms in their home or place of business. I respect their wishes. Otherwise, I carry whenever and where ever I please.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,867,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Another hero wanabe

petty scary
I rode a motorcycle from NH where I am legal all the way to Cal and back, armed with my wife. The Feds say so long as you are legal where ever you are and will be legal where ever you end up, your legal. I ended up right back in NH, after 40 states.

I am no hero, I have a line drawn in the sand... Live Free or Die Bub.

Silly Liberals have this nasty habit of letting go bad guys. The silly liberals call it paroll. At my house in the mid 80's I shot one of their pets with a shot gun in my home. I gave the bad guy every chance to leave and he insisted he was going to kill me, my great dane gog, my wife and my infant son. he could hear my wife and my son screeming.

I had the cops on the phone and ya know what they told me? They told me they were not my personal body guards that what! The next thing the bad guy and the cops hear on the phone was the boom a 12 ga shot gun makes. Later I found out the bad guy had a record 10 miles long and was wanted for 6 more warrents all drug and vilolence related.

And the deal sealer was in 1999 when my elderly father in law and his 2nd wife a laywer were stabbed to death not 3 city blocks from the cop shop. The Fire Dept came pretty soon, SWAt took 2.5 hours longer than them.

There is no way this side of Hell I wll go any where unarmed ever. On that bike trip out west I have 16 over night invites from people I met on line only. I told all of them i would be armed before I left and not one changed the invite. I was only able to meet up with about 1/2 of the invites, but when they figured I would be at their homes before they were, most often I found a note on the door and keys to their homes. I either rode around the area or waited on the lawns out back, but I never once turned a key in a door.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 PM

645 posts, read 1,271,561 times
The topic starter, in my opinion, made the grave error of assumption, black and white thinking, and stereotyping. If I were to believe everything he’s writing about, I’d think that everybody that goes into a bar gets highly intoxicated. Highly intoxicated people are extremely violent, and if you permit people like this to carry guns, we’re going to have wild and crazy gunfights and or drunk cowboy type games like shooting bottles off of shelves and the like.

Others have brought up liberals and how they champion parole and the like. As a nation, I think that we really do need to look at why we lock so many people up. America holds less than 5% of the world’s population, 25% of people incarcerated in the world are Americans… That’s alarming to me! Because we lock up so many people for non-crimes, things that shouldn’t be criminal, and non-violent offenders, we as a society have to release real criminals that are violent to make room for those that aren’t.

Since most people aren’t violent, and many of our laws target non-violent activities, is it any surprise why we don’t have room for violent offenders in our jails?

I am against all gun control. That includes barring felons from gun ownership. I don’t want to get into how many felons do reform. My point is about as simple as this. Criminals can get guns regardless of what the laws state. If one could wave a magic wand and make all guns disappear, illegal guns smuggled into the country would ensure that the criminal faction would be rearmed rather quickly. Therefore, let’s do away with all gun control so that even violent criminals can walk in and buy one. At least it would do away with the seedy black market they’ve created.

If somebody doesn’t like guns, that’s great. I don’t think anybody should have to have one. However, I don’t take kindly to those that limit my right to own, and therefore I am against all gun laws. Both the left and the right should really stay out of making laws. We are a free constitutional republic and people on both the left and right only serve to undermine my rights as an American citizen.

The topic starter’s argument is the weakest of all. It relies on emotional manipulation without any facts to support its credibility or claims. However, we shouldn’t even be debating about this. The 2nd Amendment is very clear, “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Therefore, any law that limits this right is unconstitutional. It protects both criminals and law-abiding citizens. If you’re willing to accept restrictive laws for certain factions of society, then you should be willing to accept the fact that other groups, including yourself, will be targeted until nobody has rights to have firearms.

I think that we do need an amendment to the constitution. We should have a last one that says:

“These rights are yours. You’re born with them. Nobody can take them from you, and they’re designed to limit the powers of government. Only the house and senate have the powers to alter the Constitution or bill of rights. If a member of the house or senate proposes a bill that would limit or restrict these rights as set forth by the Constitution and bill of rights is committing treason and will be summarily executed.”

Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,342,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I think that we do need an amendment to the constitution. We should have a last one that says:

“These rights are yours. You’re born with them. Nobody can take them from you, and they’re designed to limit the powers of government. Only the house and senate have the powers to alter the Constitution or bill of rights. If a member of the house or senate proposes a bill that would limit or restrict these rights as set forth by the Constitution and bill of rights is committing treason and will be summarily executed.”
Actually, it is only the State legislatures that have the power to alter any part of the US Constitution. Congress may propose amendments, but only the State legislatures can ratify those changes. The States may also propose their own amendments to the US Constitution through a Constitutional Convention, which does not include Congress. See Article V.

Remember, it was the State legislatures who voluntarily gave up certain powers to create the federal government in the first place. Therefore, only the State legislatures may determine what powers the federal government may have. When the federal government assumes more powers than they were granted, they are in fact usurping those powers from the States.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 AM

58,446 posts, read 26,773,780 times
Quote:
I rode a motorcycle from NH where I am legal all the way to Cal and back, armed with my wife. The Feds say so long as you are legal where ever you are and will be legal where ever you end up, your legal. I ended up right back in NH, after 40 states.

I am no hero, I have a line drawn in the sand... Live Free or Die Bub.

Silly Liberals have this nasty habit of letting go bad guys. The silly liberals call it paroll. At my house in the mid 80's I shot one of their pets with a shot gun in my home. I gave the bad guy every chance to leave and he insisted he was going to kill me, my great dane gog, my wife and my infant son. he could hear my wife and my son screeming.

I had the cops on the phone and ya know what they told me? They told me they were not my personal body guards that what! The next thing the bad guy and the cops hear on the phone was the boom a 12 ga shot gun makes. Later I found out the bad guy had a record 10 miles long and was wanted for 6 more warrents all drug and vilolence related.

And the deal sealer was in 1999 when my elderly father in law and his 2nd wife a laywer were stabbed to death not 3 city blocks from the cop shop. The Fire Dept came pretty soon, SWAt took 2.5 hours longer than them.

There is no way this side of Hell I wll go any where unarmed ever. On that bike trip out west I have 16 over night invites from people I met on line only. I told all of them i would be armed before I left and not one changed the invite. I was only able to meet up with about 1/2 of the invites, but when they figured I would be at their homes before they were, most often I found a note on the door and keys to their homes. I either rode around the area or waited on the lawns out back, but I never once turned a key in a door.
"The Feds say so long as you are legal where ever you are and will be legal where ever you end up".

I have never heard that before. Do know where I can get more info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies