Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

it's bad enough to graduate into such a crappy economy, but to do it with a fat loan balance makes it that much worse. i feel sorry for today's graduates.

Quote:
Student loan debt outpaced credit card debt for the first time last year and is likely to top a trillion dollars this year as more students go to college and a growing share borrow money to do so.

While many economists say student debt should be seen in a more favorable light, the rising loan bills nevertheless mean that many graduates will be paying them for a longer time.
link requires password: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/ed...e&ref=homepage

this one doesn't, but will inspire howls of 'faux news!'
Education Leaves Half of Americans in Serious Debt - FoxBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Since the federal government is now the lending instrument for student loans, this means we have that much more in defecit spending. Wonder if that was "off the books"?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I'd like to humbly point out that I owe exactly ZERO dollars for my degrees right now.

YouTube - Lionel Richie - All night Long (All Night)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
Bring the cost down . Why does it cost so much ? People should go to schools they can afford . Work days , learn at night . This is a problem common sense can fix .

Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Bring the cost down . Why does it cost so much ? People should go to schools they can afford . Work days , learn at night . This is a problem common sense can fix .
Costs have gone thru the roof, that's for sure- especially at private schools. Why, I dunno.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Costs have gone thru the roof, that's for sure- especially at private schools. Why, I dunno.
Access to "easy money". If you can get easy money then costs WILL go up.
Just look at what "easy money" did to housing..prices went through the roof.

Pull back on that easy money and watch less kids go to college or take fewer classes while working. Then the schools will have to make a choice..fire teachers (lack of students, revenue) or lower tuition to attract more students.

Access to easy money just creates bubbles..huge price bubbles, huge debt bubbles.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
I will say this, a lot of people need to work part time or do a year or two at a CC. Education is good but not if you take the worst loan with the worst rates and WAY more than you need and don't earn ANY money.

That's just retarded. Especially if you're majoring in something that pays half of another major but the degree cost just as much to get.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
it's bad enough to graduate into such a crappy economy, but to do it with a fat loan balance makes it that much worse. i feel sorry for today's graduates.

link requires password: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/ed...e&ref=homepage

this one doesn't, but will inspire howls of 'faux news!'
Education Leaves Half of Americans in Serious Debt - FoxBusiness.com
Since people can't get a job, they are going to school instead. And they have to take out loans since they don't have a a job.

I don't feel sorry for them b/c they made that choice to take out a loan. I am one of those folks (although my loan is relatively small, $5k). I tend not to feel sorry for myself, I just deal with it, and so should everyone else. Eventually they will all get paid back, at least the ones to the feds, since those are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and they will garnish your wages if you stop paying.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I agree.

Quote:
Private schools are CRAZY expensive. Like $1200/credit, or was it $1200 per class? Ether way, it is WAY too much. A lot of these schools aren't even accredited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Access to "easy money". If you can get easy money then costs WILL go up.
Just look at what "easy money" did to housing..prices went through the roof.

Pull back on that easy money and watch less kids go to college or take fewer classes while working. Then the schools will have to make a choice..fire teachers (lack of students, revenue) or lower tuition to attract more students.

Access to easy money just creates bubbles..huge price bubbles, huge debt bubbles.
You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I will say this, a lot of people need to work part time or do a year or two at a CC. Education is good but not if you take the worst loan with the worst rates and WAY more than you need and don't earn ANY money.

That's just retarded. Especially if you're majoring in something that pays half of another major but the degree cost just as much to get.
I agree with this, too. Unless you get a scholarship or can afford to just pay whatever the cost is, one should start at a CC. IMO, it's a better education and better opportunities for students due to smaller classes, more clubs/groups, etc.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
If you can't afford to go to a private school, go to a public one. Community College is "cheap" for the first 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies