Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For places like McD's and Wallymart they will get someone to replace them; in fact they may get a line of hundreds to replace them.
Yes the employee, employer market changed and now those incentive packages they use to have and valued...they don't need 'em any more. Even going up the ladder to more prestigious levels higher than the patty flipper...

but I have lived without for so long...threatening me with a job, doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
What use to be incentives to gain the higher quality, dependable and highly trained professional employees, are now thought of as employee rights, that cannot be taken away without a fight.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What use to be incentives to gain the higher quality, dependable and highly trained professional employees, are now thought of as employee rights, that cannot be taken away without a fight.
And that's just not right.

It use to be that a person looked into the company to see what they offered, comparative shopping so-to-speak. That is what kept the packages there, so as to draw the crowd of applicants. Use to businesses, looked into each other's business to see, what do these guys offer that we do not, so that we can get their valued employees over to our side.

Now, the crowd comes and they just want a pay check. The benefits packages they're just gravy. So there is no need to have competition for the businesses any more by way of a retention program benefits offerings.

In Texas and I looked into this an employer does not have to offer a lunch break. If a person commits themselves to work, that is what they are there for and expected to do for however many hours the job calls for; no breaks.

People must be getting the Bill of Rights confused with, business benefits, but since the government is passing (developed) themselves off as Big Business, it easy enough to get confused.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
And that's just not right.

It use to be that a person looked into the company to see what they offered, comparative shopping so-to-speak. That is what kept the packages there, so as to draw the crowd of applicants. Use to businesses, looked into each other's business to see, what do these guys offer that we do not, so that we can get their valued employees over to our side.

Now, the crowd comes and they just want a pay check. The benefits packages they're just gravy. So there is no need to have competition for the businesses any more by way of a retention program benefits offerings.

In Texas and I looked into this an employer does not have to offer a lunch break. If a person commits themselves to work, that is what they are there for and expected to do for however many hours the job calls for; no breaks.

People must be getting the Bill of Rights confused with, business benefits, but since the government is passing (developed) themselves off as Big Business, it easy enough to get confused.
I've been working for decades and never got paid for my lunch hour.
Not when I first started working at 16 (clocked OUT for lunch and back in when done) nor now working for a multi-national.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Look at the history of labor conditions in our country before the U.S. Department of Labor intervened. If we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA), was summarized as the “elimination of labor conditions detrimental to the maintenance of the minimum standards of living necessary for health, efficiency and well being of workers.â€

Fair Labor Standards Act

What are you so hyper worried about? Wisconsin is not returning to the middle ages. Nor will the Federal Government overturn the 63 year old Fair Labor Standards Act.

My worry though is how you interpret this quote.

“The elimination of labor conditions detrimental to the maintenance of the minimum standards of living necessary for health, efficiency and well being of workers.â€

For God's sake - what kind of scare did the OP stick into you?
Do you really think that Wisconsin businesses are refusing their employees the minimum standards of living necessary for health, efficiency and well being?

People on welfare have cable TV and a standard of living that allows them a warm bed and Playstation. Plus food stamps.

If you are employed in Wisconsin, you are not being taken advantage of. You are moving forward. You are not losing fingers or limbs. You have much more than cable TV.

Quote:
Look at the history of labor conditions in our country before the U.S. Department of Labor intervened. If we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.
So ..... the labor conditions in our country are going to Hell in a Handbasket. You are almost certain that government will repeal the Fair Labor Standards Act. All because Wisconsin will not MANDATE that companies provide a certain amount of paid days off? You are not making sense. You are sensationalizing things for some sort of gain. An agenda?

How many states REQUIRE BY LAW that private companies must provide paid vacation days?

Please don't threaten your readers with Armageddon over Wisconsin's work conditions. Conditions that are very good.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I've been working for decades and never got paid for my lunch hour.
Not when I first started working at 16 (clocked OUT for lunch and back in when done) nor now working for a multi-national.
No, no, no..paid or not. The employer does not need to give you a break, at all. Check it out. I was young and an employer had just been a bad yuk, and I thought, I can hang this person on the labor laws. No, I couldn't. That's when I found out, early '80s...it is at the employers discretion on whether or not those working for him, get a break or not. There is no law, that says, he has to, labor or otherwise.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
No, no, no..paid or not. The employer does not need to give you a break, at all. Check it out. I was young and an employer had just been a bad yuk, and I thought, I can hang this person on the labor laws. No, I couldn't. That's when I found out, early '80s...it is at the employers discretion on whether or not those working for him, get a break or not. There is no law, that says, he has to, labor or otherwise.
I understand that. But, if you don't like the working conditions then you should look for a new job.

I think many people are under the misunderstanding that benefits are "standards" and they are not.

elaws - Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen6.asp - broken link)
There are a number of employment practices which the FLSA does not regulate. For example, the FLSA does not require:
(1) vacation, holiday, severance, or sick pay;
(2) meal or rest periods, holidays off, or vacations;
(3) premium pay for weekend or holiday work;
(4) pay raises or fringe benefits;
(5) a discharge notice, reason for discharge, or immediate payment of final wages to terminated employees; and
(6) pay stubs or "W-2 (http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/leave-dol.asp?exiturl=http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw204.html&exitTitle=W-2%20Information%20from%20IRS - broken link)"s.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,152 times
This thread reminds me of a train wreck. I want to look away, but I can't stop peeking. LOL

Stop the Insanity!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
The repeal enables employers to offer more jobs and grow their company.
Remeber the adage..."What's good for the company is good for me".

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I understand that. But, if you don't like the working conditions then you should look for a new job.

I think many people are under the misunderstanding that benefits are "standards" and they are not.

elaws - Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen6.asp - broken link)
There are a number of employment practices which the FLSA does not regulate. For example, the FLSA does not require:
(1) vacation, holiday, severance, or sick pay;
(2) meal or rest periods, holidays off, or vacations;
(3) premium pay for weekend or holiday work;
(4) pay raises or fringe benefits;
(5) a discharge notice, reason for discharge, or immediate payment of final wages to terminated employees; and
(6) pay stubs or "W-2 (http://www.dol.gov/cgi-bin/leave-dol.asp?exiturl=http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw204.html&exitTitle=W-2%20Information%20from%20IRS - broken link)"s.
I'm just saying that many people think they have a right to these employer, 'benefits' that they are some how a law, that they are not, nether a law nor a right.

Be thankful your employer gives you a lunch break, because he really does not have to do that. The employer doesn't have to do anything but give out a descent wage, for an honest days work.

Something my brother said once that I thought was good and I will paraphrase, because the exact wording evades me..."This is your hell for 8 hours, what you will do during your stay in our hell...is this, this, this and this..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies