Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times

Advertisements

"Obamanomics at Work: Only 45% of Americans Working in 2010"

This is indeed unacceptable. Companies are crying for workers, but hardly any apply for the great jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,083 times
Labor force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have a really hard time believing that half the population has no work.
The BLS says the "participation" rate is 64%.
Quite soon we will have more people NOT working than working.
And those not working will depend on the government for subsistence.
It's happening folks, it's happening.

Employment Situation Summary
In March, the civilian labor force participation rate held at 64.2 percent, and the
employment-population ratio, at 58.5 percent, changed little.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

In March, the civilian labor force participation rate held at 64.2 percent, and the
A solution is: pay out 50% of the current unemployment pay for 3 months, then feed the unemployed lethal doses of rat poison. That's cheap.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, that is what happens when the federal government steals from the private sector. The "bad economy" is illustrative of liberalism at it's finest.

More Americans leaving the workforce - USATODAY.com

This is just a really depressing number....and yet, the democrats would like to extend those UE benefits even further. Maybe if they got their way, even more people would give up their jobs and live on the dole.

Now this makes no sense. If I have a job, I'm earning money and going on the dole would reduce my income (not to mention fringe benefits).

And if unemployed people prefer to stay on the dole than to take a job, the job they didn't take will be filled by someone else.

We have huge structural unemployment which is not going away anytime soon.

I've pretty much given up the idea of ever again having a job, so I'm trying to be self-employed. A lot of toil which can take quite a while to pay off, risky, uncertain and insecure. But I think that's where a lot of the unemployed are going these days.

So I'm not sure that the employment numbers are necessarily a bad thing. I think we are going through a structural change in which many people are dealing with the reality of scarce jobs by starting their own businesses.

Having said all this, I do have a hypothesis on those who stay on the (unemployment insurance) dole:

Unemployed people with a CAREER have every incentive to get a job and return to work as soon as possible. These people are unlikely to prefer to stay on the dole.

Unemployed people with a JOB often have crappy jobs and may well prefer to stay on the dole than to take another crappy job.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I have some aluminum stocks I'll let you have at a bargain price......

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
As much as I hate to, I have to agree with the lefties on this one. That article is biased and leaves out a lot of variables. First is that it assumes everyone is supposed to be working for someone else.
I am a male who on paper hasn't had a job since 1989. I started my own business in 1989 and made an above average living till I sold it in 2004 for a truckload of cash. I've always lived a fairly spartan lifestyle and have no plan to ever work again. I do speculate and flip a bit but I'm mostly retired. I'm one of the 45% but I'm not hurting. That doesn't discount the premise of the article but it just leaves out too many details to be considered a good source.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 04-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: traded a comma for an and

Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
This is so misleading. This only states that 45% of Americans are BLUE COLLAR workers, and roughly the other 40% are white collar workers.

The economy would be in much worse shape if half of Americas didn't have jobs. Nice try, though.
Where does it say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
More distorted ultra-right wing garbage, what a surprise...
From USA Today? What exactly are you disagreeing with their analysis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And the OP joyfully cheers lowering that rate by cutting government spending during a recession.

Rule: In order to be a right winger you must have no clue how the economy works.
Uh....we've had MASSIVE spending during the recession......doesn't seem that it did the job, right?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, that is what happens when the federal government steals from the private sector. The "bad economy" is illustrative of liberalism at it's finest.

More Americans leaving the workforce - USATODAY.com

This is just a really depressing number....and yet, the democrats would like to extend those UE benefits even further. Maybe if they got their way, even more people would give up their jobs and live on the dole.
Terrible! Time we stop funding education and put our children to work!

If we cut SS and Medicare, I bet we can make those senior citizens go back to work also!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

254 posts, read 590,807 times
The only important number in that article is:

"The aging of 77 million Baby Boomers born from 1946 through 1964 from children to workers to retirees is changing the relationship between workers and dependents. Retirees generally are more costly to support than children"

Which shows that the US is getting old. If the number was the same at 45% and the majority of the non working population were children then there will be nothing to be worried about.

The truly important number is 9.2%, which is the current unemployment in the US. Obama is not the culprit that the US is getting old, people are not having children. Now you can say that they do not have children due to the economy but then you will have to blame several generations of US presidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies