Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 PM

354 posts, read 324,706 times

Advertisements

And guess what...they are considered Caucasion as a race by our own government but thanks I know all about the breakdown. Indians are also not another race, they are Caucasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Here is one stereotype i find to be somewhat true, sadly. In the inner-city and low-income neighborhoods a black man gets more respect coming out of jail than coming out of college from his AA male low-income peers.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 07-30-2007 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Here is one stereotype i find to be true. In the black community a black man gets more respect coming out of jail than coming out of college. Coming from an AA male.

Lmao...Thats b.s.......In uneducated, sick and perverted minds with zero ambition or goals and absolutely no motivation to be anything but a pathetic loser who contributes nothing to his or her life or the community around them does someone who happens to live or be part of the AA community give value or "currency" for going to prison. Most AA find this behavior irresponsible, ignorant, and woefully unacceptable. I have yet to meet anybody who's AA that admire's somone for going to prison...

Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM

180 posts, read 122,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
And guess what...they are considered Caucasion as a race by our own government but thanks I know all about the breakdown. Indians are also not another race, they are Caucasion.
In the United States, Caucasian has been mainly a distinction, based on skin color, for a group commonly called White Americans, as defined by the government and Census Bureau.

The Supreme Court in United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923) decided against including people of Indian origin in the term "Caucasian" for purposes of U.S. judiciary judgements in spite of some anthropologists' classification schemes including Indians in "Caucasoid". The court argued based on common usage of "Caucasian" meaning "white", ruling that "Congress never intended for Indians to be able to naturalize". The ruling was rendered obsolete with the Luce-Celler Act of 1946.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Here is one stereotype i find to be somewhat true, sadly. In the inner-city and low-income neighborhoods a black man gets more respect coming out of jail than coming out of college from his AA male low-income peers.
We will have to keep you away from watching too many reruns of "Boys in the Hood". I grew up poor, black, and in the ghetto, I had much respect because I went to school never got kicked out and never got locked up.

ALL poor blacks aren't stupid, criminals, dope dealers, and add any other negative stereotype you wish to indulge.

I overcame many obstacles in my community to become successful, but the one obstacle that always raises itself is the notion of "SOME" people that because of my race and/or background that I must belong to one of the above categories.

Please stop reciting the stories that you've heard from others.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Hey, quick thing before I get into some racial stereotypes. Can someone please give me a brief little list of what the two-letter acronyms mean. I've seen all kinds of them like DH and AA. No idea at all what they mean. Thanks in advance. I'll give you some pos. points if you can help.

Moving on. Let's see, racial stereotypes that are true. Uh...well let's start with an ethnic stereotype and try to move from there. Did you know that 78% of teenagers associate Italian-Americans with criminal activity or blue collar work. Jeez, and you thought the blacks had it bad. Also, 74% of adult Americans believe that most Italian-Americans have some connection to organized crime. Being Italian, I'm not sure whether to laugh or be upset by these stereotypes.

Continuing, I think it's safe to say that in America, the worst racial stereotyping is done against Asian-Indians. I mean, think about it, these people could be Pakistani, Indian, etc. but everyone still thinks they've got a bomb strapped to their chest, and they work at 7-11. Well, either that or they're a doctor.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM

264 posts, read 829,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
74% of adult Americans believe that most Italian-Americans have some connection to organized crime.
Sorry WSW, I'm guilty of that myself. Our dispatcher is an Italian-American and my first thought when I met him face to face was "geesh, didn't I see this guy on the Sopranos??"
But hey...give me a break ok...the guy is HUGE, has an Italian last name and the strongest accent I've ever heard. lol

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Being part of a large Irish family growing up in a predominately Irish n'hood, the drinking thing is certainly well earned. Plus, my non-Irish friends were never as obsessed with drinking so much LOL.

And you do know an Irish neighborhood just by seeing the bars & taverns on every other corner So I guess there are stereotypes for a reason.
Stereotypes are more "unique characteristics", IMO. If not, we'd probably all be clone-like robots -- just different nationalities!
Ha! I used to live in an Irish rooted town that was only 2 1/2 sq miles but had 11 liquor licenses. Great St. Paddy's Day parades. No street crime either.

Last edited by doc1; 07-30-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Default Hillbilly Contradictions

Once again, Mo H.B.Woman, I will repeat--"Hillbilly" and "Redneck" are, by definition, pejorative terms--to argue otherwise is absurd. One who voluntarily describes HERSELF, as either of these terms, is, in essence, taunting mainstream society. It is as though one were to proclaim "I don't care about all your fancy indoor plumbing, your book-learnin', and your fancy-schmancy multi-racial baloney---I don't need all that. I know what I know and y'all can just GIT OFF MY LAND !! (sound of shotgun being cocked)"
Like it or not, this is the public's understanding of a "Hillbilly Redneck"--surely you must realize this. I'm sure many white residents of Appalachia bristle at these unflattering terms, hate being labeled like this, and do all they can to put such images behind them.
But when YOU, YOURSELF insist on labeling yourself this way, you can hardly expect others not to treat you with ridicule.
Black people would be ill-advised to get on a forum such as this, using the "N-word" as part of their identity; likewise, hispanics generally steer clear of calling themselves "cholo pend*jo"---those who DID use these names, would OF COURSE suffer the ridicule of other forum contributors.
"Hillbilly" and "Redneck" are ELECTIVE behaviors-- if you WANT to be a Hillbilly, or a Redneck, then you should be PROUD to be despised---isn't that the idea--"us against the flat-landers?---us against all them 'colored' folks?" If you really ARE an intelligent and open-minded person, why ON EARTH would you label yourself a "hillbilly?"---I'm trying to understand, but I just don't get it.
Some years back, we had a big ruckus here at a popular amusement park, which had been accused of discriminating against hispanics and blacks. Finally, of course, "talk radio" got a few of the victims to talk on the air. One black guy was FUMING mad..Park security had questioned him for a few moments, in front of his wife and another couple, embarrassing him. He was in the NAVY, for heaven's sake, and deserved to be treated better. (He was admitted to the park, but only after being "questioned")
It turns out the guy had his head shaved, tatoos all over, black glasses, bandana, pants sagging, etc., etc., --In other words, he had spent much time and effort to achieve one very carefully-orchestrated effect- And that is, he looked EXACTLY like a menacing gang-banger....so, guess what happened?--you're right!--- he was assumed to be a menacing gang-banger !! The owners of this "family"-oriented park chose to check him out before admitting him.
WHY on EARTH would a Navy man go to great lengths to present himself as a gangster? I couldn't begin to guess--but it WORKED ....he got his wish, and BOY WAS HE MAD...
Why would someone call themselves a Hillbilly, and then get MAD when the reaction from others made her feel she was being treated as a Hillbilly?--I just don't get it....
PS Not sure where you came across these "Mexican Rednecks", but if indeed, they describe themselves this way, then they certainly have no right to complain about not being taken seriously....

Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

180 posts, read 122,031 times
Besides all that, MacMeal, it seems the general attitude of this thread is “Why can all them colored folks talk racist about us white folks and we cain’t talk racist about them”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies