Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It's now officially been panned as a horrible movie by just about every major movie reviewer or review website. Sure, I suppose it could be an international conspiracy involving hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people united by political ideology but Occam's Razor suggests it's more likely the movie just sucks and that's why all the reviews agree it sucks.
It probably shouldn't be "fresh" by RT, but 6% while "Fast Five" is fresh? Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I just enjoyed reading the comments and how progressive groups are decrying objectivism.
Wear yourself out. I'll confess to feeling just a little schadenfreude in watching the Invisible Hand slapping this movie around like a red-headed stepchild. A mediocre effort, it appears - and as we all know, Ayn Rand would hate for mediocrity to be rewarded, so ultimately a very suitable outcome.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Liberal Hollywood is still pissed about the huge success of "The Blind Side".

Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Liberal Hollywood is still pissed about the huge success of "The Blind Side".
They are? Care to name names?

It seems to me that a movie release from one of the Big Six, with an A-list star in the lead, winning an Oscar and cleaning up at the box office is the embodiment of what Hollywood is about.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
If the actors and the subject appeals to me;I can be wrong tho so I stop watching if so or walkout.Otherwise its on friends recommendation mostly.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
South Park did a loose adaptation of this. As usual their social satire and political commentary fell into brilliancy and genius.
Mr. Garrison becomes furious over the crappy service the Airlines Industry has( all too real these days) and so invents a personal conveyance ( with a bizarre feature) for people to travel with. It becomes so popular that it would destroy the airlines industry ( which is too big to fail)so it has to be shut down. The government in action.
This looks like a good story although the characterization seemed a little two dimensional and it needed modern updating which was easily done. With Hollywood being totally bankrupt creatively these days, you'd think somebody would have risked the money doing it. How many remakes of comedys do we need? Hollywood is too gutless as has been pointed out. Nothing controversial, nothing too cerebral.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wear yourself out. I'll confess to feeling just a little schadenfreude in watching the Invisible Hand slapping this movie around like a red-headed stepchild. A mediocre effort, it appears - and as we all know, Ayn Rand would hate for mediocrity to be rewarded, so ultimately a very suitable outcome.
Nah, I spent a lot of my schadenfreude laughing in the faces of overleveraged real estate investors after 2008. Still have a tough time keeping a straight face around SoCal homeowners who bought in 2005.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This looks like a good story although the characterization seemed a little two dimensional and it needed modern updating which was easily done.
Could've been interesting, agreed. But to a lot of people, Rand's words are pretty close to Holy Writ, so major changes would alienate the only guaranteed audience. Hence, we get railroad and steel barons in a 2000something setting.

Quote:
With Hollywood being totally bankrupt creatively these days, you'd think somebody would have risked the money doing it.
It would have taken a slash-and-burn rewrite, probably a one-movie conversion, for anyone to risk the 50-100 million budget. Looking at the current movie, I doubt the owner of the rights would have accepted that approach.

Quote:
How many remakes of comedys do we need? Hollywood is too gutless as has been pointed out. Nothing controversial, nothing too cerebral.
There's a snag: When Hollywood gets controversial and cerebral, they can't give the tickets away. It's a sad fact that Eddie-Murphy-in-a-fatsuit tends to reliably gross $100 million on the first week-end.

(I will say that Inception seemed fairly cerebral, for a tentpole movie.)

Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Still have a tough time keeping a straight face around SoCal homeowners who bought in 2005.
Wow, you really must have dug through my posting history to find that tidbit, I feel so - special.

Anyway, back to the movie, the sleeper hit of the summer - well, not really - dropped another 50-60% over this week-end. That's "circling the drain" territory - I guess The Market has spoken. Parts II & III will only be done as an act of charity. Which would be hilarious.

Perhaps those insidious critics were right? Although Rotten Tomatoes is now inching up to a whole 9%.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Must be a pretty faithful adaptation from the book, then.
Paperback morphine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies