Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You can tell very quickly that Mr. Ebert is a movie savant. Stick to your day job, big guy.
I sure that he will since his day job is to be a movie savant.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I sure that he will since his day job is to be a movie savant.

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of a word before inserting it in your latest drivel.
I'm aware what savant means. It's appropriate for the context. Think about it.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb How do you know when a movie should be watched?

Quote:
When the Hollywood Elite all say it's garbage, and throw in a few jabs at the philosophy.

Atlas Shrugged Part I Movie Reviews - ROTTEN TOMATOES

The movie is usually worse than the book. In this case, the movie would be awful, because the book was beyond bad.

This is better than either

And it's a lot more accurate, too.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The movie is usually worse than the book. In this case, the movie would be awful, because the book was beyond bad.
In your opinion. Very few libs are intellectually capable of reading through it without becoming distracted.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
In your opinion.
My opinion is based on reading the book. And I'm not even a lib. Go figure.

It sucked. Boring, repetitive, preachy, extremely shallow one dimensional characters.

Quote:
Very few libs are intellectually capable of reading through it without becoming distracted.
In your opinion.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not to the almost 3/4 of a billion people.
$610 million world-wide box office gross translates to 3/4 of a billion people?

Like I said, surprise hit. But the huge untapped market for Christian movies didn't materialize. It wasn't a trend, it was an outlier.

Quote:
Of course Hollywood is run by leftists - this isn't even a question open for debate.
There's only one person who gets to speak ex cathedra with the assumption of his words being infallible, and I suspect Pope Benedict has more pressing matters to attend to. In other words, I'd go further than saying it's debatable, I'll say it's wrong.

There's hardly a more classical free-market competition than the struggle for the movie-goer's buck. You'd be hard pressed to find another business where someone can take a good idea, raise some capital and make it big, fast. (Of course, when people do that, most often we see that capital is much easier to find than good ideas.)

Hollywood is run by people who have a lot of money and a lot of power in the industry - because they were right about what the public would like in a movie more often than they were wrong. It's exactly the sort of meritocracy that Ayn Rand would have applauded. (Those are not the pretty people you see on the front of People Magazine, and they're not the ones who make political statements.)

It just so happens that "small guy wins against all odds" tends to sell more tickets than "millionaires are rich because they deserve to be".

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-15-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My opinion is based on reading the book. And I'm not even a lib. Go figure.

It sucked. Boring, repetitive, preachy, extremely shallow one dimensional characters.

In your opinion.
^ this

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
In your opinion. Very few libs are intellectually capable of reading through it without becoming distracted.
If we didn't have capable BS detectors, we wouldn't be liberals, now would we?

Never mind the interesting (albeit wrong-headed) philosophy espoused, Ayn Rand is just not a good writer. If your masterpiece centers on a freakin' radio speech that drags on for dozens of pages, you really aren't good at this novel thing. Write a manifesto instead.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-15-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yeah - Leftist (how many states subsudize the industry to attract their production companies)...
By that yardstick, what industry isn't leftist?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Wait, Rotten Tomatoes (the web site) is now the Hollywood elite?! LOMFAO!

Jesus... Every time I think this website can't get any dumber I read a post which hits a new low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
"How do you know when a movie should be watched?"

When leftist critics which is most of hollywood pan it. See Battle: Los Angeles, it's one of the best of the year but critics all hate it for it's patriotic military views.

Battle: Los Angeles Movie Reviews - ROTTEN TOMATOES

The fricking leftist movie critics and their communist ranking of movies on Rotten Tomatoes are just another example of the Hollywood elite destroying this once great nation. Lenin wrote that the first step in taking over a nation is to start reviewing films, preferably with a ranking based on 1-4 stars.

These pinko bastards also gave low rankings(under 25 percent) to Russell Brand's recent masterpieces "Hop" and the remake of "Arthur". What do these limousine liberals have against patriotic films starring unkempt, formerly drug-addicted English comedians? I don't expect much more from card-carrying Marxists like Leonard Maltin and Rex Reed, not even to mention Wall Street Journal critic John Anderson.

---sarcasm off---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies