Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with making it illegal for students to wear baggy pants?
Yes, it should be illegal 36 42.35%
No, the state should stay out of it 45 52.94%
Not sure 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree that it would solve the problem, but I'm not comfortable with a public school dictating what students have to wear. Maybe if the parents came to a consensus about it, then it might be alright.

Why not?

Public school is a place to learn. Not a place to be fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Perhaps that question would best be answered by the ACLU

Yes. It doesn't distract me. I have more important things to think about than how other people are dressing.
Snip what?

Grow up.

Then why bother to post if you don't care about how others dress?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I personally think the trend is hideous. If you want to show your a$$ pull your pants down we will look and we can all go on without see it the rest of the day. You look like fools. The one guy that was running from the cops was pulling his pants up and they shot him so it isn't the safest thing if in the wrong situation... thank goodness they don't drive Toyotas otherwise they might get stuck around the accelerator and cause the cars to go uncontrolled.

Now if you have a law to say no you can't do this I think it is getting too invasive. We have seat belt laws. helmet laws and they want this too? We just don't need gov to say things that should be common sense.

Guess its true... you just can't fix stupid.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:57 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Baggy Pants Ban Zips Though Florida Senate - Saggy pants bill passes state Senate

Ridiculous. This should be left to school districts to decide. As long as students aren't exposing their genitals or buttocks, they should be able to wear whatever they want at a public school.
It's not really illegal per se (the way it's worded in the poll). I voted yes, though. However, I guess I misunderstood and I agree it should be up to the school districts. We had strict rules about short shorts and sagging pants when I was in school and I think it should continue. It's pretty gross when a guy's butt is hanging out of his pants, even if his skin is not exposed (I don't want to see anyone's undies!). And short shorts are just plain distracting so those should be "outlawed" as well. I was just commenting on how one of my employees (a high school kid) came in today with his entire rear end out of his pants b/c he was sagging so low, and I think it's just totally inappropriate to come in to work that way, but also to walk around town like that or attend school. Whatever happened to modesty??

ETA: You are right, it would be illegal if the law passes, so my bad. It's 6am and I'm still awake so apparently my comprehension skills are suffering. LOL

Last edited by andrea3821; 04-16-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I personally think the trend is hideous. If you want to show your a$$ pull your pants down we will look and we can all go on without see it the rest of the day. You look like fools. The one guy that was running from the cops was pulling his pants up and they shot him so it isn't the safest thing if in the wrong situation... thank goodness they don't drive Toyotas otherwise they might get stuck around the accelerator and cause the cars to go uncontrolled.

Now if you have a law to say no you can't do this I think it is getting too invasive. We have seat belt laws. helmet laws and they want this too? We just don't need gov to say things that should be common sense.

Right on all counts!

But don't you think it would be amusing if someone tried to pass a law diving into this whole hog? Don't just discriminate against ridiculous looking baggy pants--ANY form of tasteless dress is hereby declared illegal! Go out your front door wearing a tie that doesn't match your shirt, and the Taste Police will be waiting for you at the corner. (There has to be a bureaucrat somewhere who'd jump on this idea in a nanosecond--just look at all the departments that would have to be created to enforce such a law!)

Old 04-16-2011, 08:49 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Exposing the underwear causes unneeded distraction.

However, one SHOULD be allowed to wear baggy pants, if they wear a belt.

My teachers used to keep duct tape nearby for anyone who's pants showed underwear and refused to wear a belt, though.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
I think it would be a violation of the 1st amendment to put a ban on it.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
I say good on Siplin for writing this bill! About a month ago, I saw a guy with his pants sagged and he had racing stripes. He was leaving a restaurant and I almost puked from the sight and the smell when he walked by out table!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Students should wear uniforms. That would eliminate all these issues.
I agree.

I would have just HATED it as a kid but, still I agree.

At my girl's school they do were uniforms.

If there are no discipline problems the last Friday of the month they can dress as they would like. (still within a code)

They do not want to be the kid the ruined it.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM

131 posts, read 172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

lol at the Toyota situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies