Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
OK, then here's a question I can't help but ask you: since all the fuel sources you mentioned are finite, what do you think is going to happen to our standards of living and freedom of movement when they're no longer available?
Your question is a valid one, and the thoughtful dialogue is appreciated, sir or madame!

With respect to the finite aspect of the fuel sources mentioned, I think my point (that I quite possibly didn't make clear enough - my mistake) is that while we are limited by their finite nature, we ourselves are limiting just how much we know is there and can harvest at any given time with rules and regulations that anyone can see were made by someone not at all familiar with energy production.

My opinion is that barring a major breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion, we will be having to (not necessarily wanting to) rely on the traditional forms of energy production for quite some time. That isn't to say we shouldn't try to explore other avenues. I just want them to stand on their own merit, not a government subsidy.

Also, I'm exploring a process in which it would be possible to take solid human waste and extract the cellulosic sugars from it, which could then be fermented into ethanol, or better yet, utilize a relatively new catalyst that has been discovered to cause the sugars to reform their chains into hydrocarbons - turning it into sweet sweet gasoline. It makes a ton of sense. Solid waste is really the only human waste we produce (just by living, comes out of our body, not talking about byproducts like trash here). So it would really revolutionize the energy industry by becoming the only fuel that doesn't ADD to the problem in the environment just to harvest energy.

I have a couple names for my company; " Fuel; It Happens." Or maybe "Poop for Prosperity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If you would educate yourself on the subject, you would know that the topic is using cleaner energy, not complaining about energy use. That's why it's called Powershift and not Powerstop.
Actually one of the fundamentals about cap and trade policies would be rising costs would force you to use less.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
OK, then here's a question I can't help but ask you: since all the fuel sources you mentioned are finite, what do you think is going to happen to our standards of living and freedom of movement when they're no longer available?

While conventional oil for energy may certainly be an issue in the near future coal is not. We have a recoverable supply that can met need for about 2 centuries. If we were to meet the needs of diesel, jet fuel and kerosene type applications with it through coal to liquid fuels tech at an equvalent cost of $40 to $50 we have a 100 year supply. In addtion to the coal there is an estimated 800 billion barrels of oil locked in the Green River Formation from oil shale. Both of these technologies were ramping up in 2007 because the risk involved for private investment was diminished and you can expect to be hearing about them in the news again.

As a practical matter the US has all the fossil fuel it needs because a cheap renewable resource can easily be developed in this time frame. Current policies of propping up production from very expensive technologies are only extended the time before we see a truly competitive source of energy. My bets on geo thermal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies