Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,936,997 times

Advertisements

Today I filed 4 returns: Federal, Pennsylvania, Arizona and local (Tempe). Owed money to the Feds and PA. Arizona did me proud and eased the economic burden. Not a fan of Jan Brewer or many in the AZ legislature but they left me in a shallower hole than what the thugs in the White House and PA wanted.

So much for hope and change. Two years now I've sent money back to Washington. So much for helping the poor, Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Today I filed 4 returns: Federal, Pennsylvania, Arizona and local (Tempe). Owed money to the Feds and PA. Arizona did me proud and eased the economic burden. Not a fan of Jan Brewer or many in the AZ legislature but they left me in a shallower hole than what the thugs in the White House and PA wanted.

So much for hope and change. Two years now I've sent money back to Washington. So much for helping the poor, Obama.
Stop whining and pay your taxes. I've paid for 12 years in a row. That's the price you pay for living in a civilized society. You should be grateful that you have the means to pay.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stop whining and pay your taxes. I've paid for 12 years in a row. That's the price you pay for living in a civilized society. You should be grateful that you have the means to pay.
The means to pay? It's going to take nearly 1/3 of my savings to pay off.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Then save more. I wrote a check for 5200 last week. I didn't like writing it, but i owe it. This is a great country. Great countries cost money to run. If it's going to take a third of your savings away, then you probably knew that you'd owe money to begin with.

.....but then, if you're so opposed to paying, then don't pay. Stand on principle.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,239,713 times
Quote:
Of course I do know but, I would bet you a hamburger there was deductions you missed.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Then save more. I wrote a check for 5200 last week. I didn't like writing it, but i owe it. This is a great country. Great countries cost money to run. If it's going to take a third of your savings away, then you probably knew that you'd owe money to begin with.

.....but then, if you're so opposed to paying, then don't pay. Stand on principle.
Start saving? I'm not paid enough to save.

You're right taxes are needed but only for the essential functions of government. Most of what taxes go for especially, but not limited to, illegal wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya are not essential functions.

According to Harry Reid paying taxes are voluntary.

YouTube - Paying income tax in America is Voluntary

I think he meant to say they were only voluntary if you're Tim Geithner or General Electric. You know I'd go to jail if I didn't pay my taxes.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Of course I do know but, I would bet you a hamburger there was deductions you missed.
Yes and no.

I didn't have the proper receipts for many deductions. I had mine prepared this time around because of some complicated matters I wasn't confident I could take care of myself. Learned a lot about what I can write off and know for next year what documentation I need to save so I can nickel and dime (or least think I am) the IRS the way they nickel and dime me.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Start saving? I'm not paid enough to save.

You're right taxes are needed but only for the essential functions of government. Most of what taxes go for especially, but not limited to, illegal wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya are not essential functions.

According to Harry Reid paying taxes are voluntary.

YouTube - Paying income tax in America is Voluntary

I think he meant to say they were only voluntary if you're Tim Geithner or General Electric. You know I'd go to jail if I didn't pay my taxes.
If you aren't paid enough to save, then how are you getting your hands on 1/3rd of your savings to pay your tax bill?

You must be saving something.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,239,713 times
Quote:
Yes and no.

I didn't have the proper receipts for many deductions. I had mine prepared this time around because of some complicated matters I wasn't confident I could take care of myself. Learned a lot about what I can write off and know for next year what documentation I need to save so I can nickel and dime (or least think I am) the IRS the way they nickel and dime me.
You only need receipts IF you are audited.

The chances of that are slim.

And even then they will just disallow it.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If you aren't paid enough to save, then how are you getting your hands on 1/3rd of your savings to pay your tax bill?

You must be saving something.
By "savings" was trying to be sarcastic. I have a checking account with about $900. But the number revolves pending the arrival of my paycheck and the departure of funds be it rent, fuel or food. How much of that represents any substantial saving, I do not know. Cutting checks to the Feds and PA will put me in a hole, especially with rent coming up and a trip to the dentist I might now have to cancel.

I wouldn't be quite as angry if the buffoon in the White House wasn't always flapping his trap about easing the economic burdens of the working classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies