Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM

5,915 posts, read 4,799,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
yes..liberals with big brains..I think they are called "useful idiots"
Liberals have smaller craniums that's why they think they have big brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,733,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I am not surprised that engineers are conservative. Conservatives like structure and predictability. Engineering is very structured and black and white. Liberals will have a higher tolerance ambiguity and are less black and white in their thinking. I don't think one is necessarily smarter than the other it is just personal preference and probably more rooted in personality than in intelligence.
Engineering isn't quite black and white as you assume it to be. In fact, it must consider ALL aspects, build on the present AND look forward into the future. When you engineer something, you don't engineer it to satisfy a set norm but often to break norms.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,935,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thoughts become complex when the simple facts are not understood.

An idiot finds the world highly complex.

There is no "fear center". The Amygdala performs a number of functions important to survival, reproduction, social adjustment, emotional stability and learning from experience.

http://brainmind.com/Amygdala44.html
Yes I read the Amygdala developed after reptiles morphed into mammals.

Quite a lofty area of the brain right wingers are running on....LOL

I'm sure that fear response serves you well just as it does mice, gophers, and wild birds....LOL

Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,229,050 times
The bottom line is that I cannot seem to find any sort of evidence that this is published work, nor can I find any sort of objective criteria to partition a conservative vs. liberal in the study. That is why it's garbage.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,053,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes I read the Amygdala developed after reptiles morphed into mammals.

Quite a lofty area of the brain right wingers are running on....LOL

I'm sure that fear response serves you well just as it does mice, gophers, and wild birds....LOL

So the Amygdala is undeveloped in lizards and snakes? Is that correct?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:54 PM

164 posts, read 103,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I've two types of data. One, polls (and they have been posted, here and in other threads on C-D on similar topics) and two, my personal experiences. I don't want to keep pushing my personal experiences as the central theme however because when we make claims, we better do more than make statements. No?
All the conservatives I've ever met are the most creative and intelligent people out there.

All the liberals I know on the other hand are on welfare or work at a cafe.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,912,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
All the conservatives I've ever met are the most creative and intelligent people out there.

All the liberals I know on the other hand are on welfare or work at a cafe.
You don't know very many liberals do you.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,300,626 times
By the way, bigger isn't necessarily better. A bigger space isn't necessarily full.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,935,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So the Amygdala is undeveloped in lizards and snakes? Is that correct?
This video explains it better.

It developed after the "reptile" brain stem did. Less evolved than the cortex.

YouTube - The Brain - Reptilian Brain & the Amygdala

The amygdala is part of the brain that are very old and very ancient and primitive thought, associated with emotion detection,”

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-19-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,374,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Liberal Brains Bigger in Areas of Complexity; Conservative Brains Bigger in Areas of Fear - Culture - GOOD

I don't think people should use this as a justification to attack conservatives. Fear can be a very useful emotion. It can prevent us from getting ourselves into bad situations. A healthy dose of fear is necessary in order to survive.

The truth is that we need both conservatives and liberals in order to have a healthy society. Without liberalism, nothing changes; without conservatism, nothing is preserved.
Wasn't there a study someone posted a while back that said people who have a larger amygdala denotes a larger social network?

Quote:
Got a big social network? Then you probably have a large amygdala, according to a new study that found a connection between the size of this brain region and the number of social relationships a person has. The complexity of those relationships — as measured by the number of people who occupied multiple roles in a social network such as being simultaneously a friend and a co-worker — was also linked with amygdala size.
How to Win Friends: Have a Big Amygdala? – TIME Healthland

I think there is a study about the amygdala and sexual promiscuity and homosexuality as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies