U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times

Advertisements

I know this is obamaland but still, forcing kids to eat school lunches?

Quote:
Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.
Who else thinks the progressives have gone just a mite too far? Now they say they know better than the parents..

Now where have I heard that before?

School's food is the only option for some kids - chicagotribune.com

BTW, the school charges $2.25 per meal per day....

Quote:
Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.
Anyone else smell something rotten in obamaland's schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Who else thinks the progressives have gone just a mite too far? Now they say they know better than the parents..

The liberals will make fun of you with things like oh but it's just school lunches! Yeah well, tyranny always starts in small steps. They are going too far. The progs will stop at nothing until we resemble the UK

Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,341,496 times
They want everyone hooked on the entitlement tit so they can feed off the taxpayers forever.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,574,384 times
Quote:

BTW, the school charges $2.25 per meal per day....

Anyone else smell something rotten in obamaland's schools?
Come on plwhit......you kinda know me by now....I'm progressive on many social issues but I too think this is just as ridiculous as you do.

I fail to see how just ONE school in Chicago thinking about instituting this crazy policy, means all progressive people would approve of it.

And what does this one school have to do with Obama and politics....he has NOTHING to do with it.....it's a local policy.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,688,250 times
If there isn't an exclusion for students who require special diet needs based upon medical or religious issues then I don't see this as being legal. I'd do a background check on this principal to see is she's got some financial motive for this stupid decision. She sound like she's on a power trip and is more concerned with controlling students' lives instead of their education.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Come on plwhit......you kinda know me by now....I'm progressive on many social issues but I too think this is just as ridiculous as you do.

I fail to see how just ONE school in Chicago thinking about instituting this crazy policy, means all progressive people would approve of it.

And what does this one school have to do with Obama and politics....he has NOTHING to do with it.....it's a local policy.
This sounds like more than one school:

Quote:
Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch. Although she would not name any other schools that employ such practices, she said it was fairly common.

A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals.
And what sense is this?

Quote:
At Claremont Academy Elementary School on the South Side, officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt. (They often are returned after school.)
I bring up obama because that's where his progressive elitist roots are.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 8,786,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Obama is to blame, and this is a duplicate thread. Beat to death a few days ago.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 AM

39,479 posts, read 40,796,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If there isn't an exclusion for students who require special diet needs based upon medical or religious issues then I don't see this as being legal.
There was/is exclusion for that and this is old story, AFAIK the school has backed off this decision because there was a little bit of a uproar about it.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 AM

39,479 posts, read 40,796,345 times
Quote:
This sounds like more than one school:

I believe the term is lying.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,666,896 times
Here we go again. This is an old subject, one which got thrashed about in another thread, but who cares about that. It's another good excuse to trash Obama...right?

Well...except for this little gem, lifted directly from the link you provided:

"Carmona said she created the policy six years ago..."

So, it must be BUSH'S FAULT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies