Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It's not always fully the parents fault. Especially at that age.
When my daughters were 11, anything they did would be my fault 100%.

But as they get more up into the teen years, no, it's not always the parents' fault. Parents have the obligation to teach their kids right from wrong, good from bad behavior, etc. A school or government does not have the job of teaching them morals, courtesy, etc. And I certainly don't want them teaching kids about condoms at 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Washington Times:
Philadelphia coddles kids with condoms, not parents | Washington Times Communities

11 year olds should be playing and studying. Not screwing.

True, but many places aren't safe for playing outside, and many kids don't have parents that will make them study because they're out working.

Come on. If kids are going to learn, they should learn from Mom & Dad.

Otherwise a kid could learn by developing a disease. That should teach little Johnny a lesson. And his friends won't want the same thing to happen to their dicks either.

Taxpayers should not be on the hook for bad behavior. If little Johnny gets gonorrhea, tell him he's grounded.
If little Johnny gets gonorrhea, or trichomonas, or chlamydia, or HIV, (which can be asymptomatic) he can pass it on to others unknowingly, for years. He can get it at 11 then pass it on years later before he learns his lesson. Makes a lot of sense.

You really want a solution? Enable parents to be home with their kids. Increase funding for after school activities. They'll all cost businesses money, so its your choice.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Are 11 year olds getting pregnant? Getting AIDS? Yes. Therefore, they should be allowed to protect themselves. Simple logic anyone?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
When my daughters were 11, anything they did would be my fault 100%.

But as they get more up into the teen years, no, it's not always the parents' fault. Parents have the obligation to teach their kids right from wrong, good from bad behavior, etc. A school or government does not have the job of teaching them morals, courtesy, etc. And I certainly don't want them teaching kids about condoms at 11.
No, it wouldn't. 11 is not the same as 6 or 7. 11 is the start of middle school. They aren't tiny babies. I'm teaching 11 and 12 year olds now.

It's pretty close to teen years. I was taught what a condom was at 11 because of the school. In fact, looking back at it...I'm glad. I switched districts later for high school, and I knew more about sexual education because of earlier exposure.

Not to mention the program in question is not designed uniquely for 11 year olds. Please remember that.

However, I still think that teaching about sexual education at the onset of puberty is not a bad idea.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Aw, I remember my first kiss. I was 8. Wow, can't believe I was so young.
Look at it this way........you still remember!!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Are 11 year olds getting pregnant? Getting AIDS? Yes. Therefore, they should be allowed to protect themselves. Simple logic anyone?
Conservatives don't let logic and reality keep them from strictly adhering to their ideology.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
No, it wouldn't. 11 is not the same as 6 or 7. 11 is the start of middle school. They aren't tiny babies. I'm teaching 11 and 12 year olds now.

It's pretty close to teen years. I was taught what a condom was at 11 because of the school. In fact, looking back at it...I'm glad. I switched districts later for high school, and I knew more about sexual education because of earlier exposure.

Not to mention the program in question is not designed uniquely for 11 year olds. Please remember that.

However, I still think that teaching about sexual education at the onset of puberty is not a bad idea.
Yes it would. At 11 years old, they are not out without adult supervision. If they do something that they shouldn't at 11, it is 100% my fault for not ensuring there was proper supervision.

I know the program is for other than 11, however, I think at that young age, all social education should come from home, and not the schools.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
If they are going to have sex at a young age, what makes you think they would use the condoms provided?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Yes it would. At 11 years old, they are not out without adult supervision. If they do something that they shouldn't at 11, it is 100% my fault for not ensuring there was proper supervision.

I know the program is for other than 11, however, I think at that young age, all social education should come from home, and not the schools.
If all social education were to come from home, then you would probably want to end public schooling.

Sorry, but the fact of the matter is that kids socialize in school more than at home. Thus, yeah...part of it is peer influenced. They are individuals as well. This is not to say that since they are individuals they are adults. No of course not. That's where the idea of sexual education comes into play.

You cannot supervise your tween 100% of the time. It's impossible. They are at the age where they can, and some do, make dumb mistakes. Obviously the majority do not have sex at 11. Hence why this program is 11-19 (a VERY wide age range).

Parents and schools need to work together on this issue. I think that its shortsighted to think that since you are a good parent nothing can go wrong with your child (they are at school the longest segment of the day and may later hang out with friends). So parents need to push and help direct activities at school (especially since many cannot physically be there).

Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM

All social education should come from the home. I understand that school is a social place, but social issues need to be taught from the home and academics are to be taught in the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies