Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,065,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I agree with the majority of the American people.

My solutions?

Cut the federal workforce by a third and consolidate all redudancy. Cut military spending in half. End military operations in Iraq & Afghanistan and send all of those troops to the US/Mexico border that they would patrol as strictly as a prison wall. Cut federal subsidies to billion dollar companies and invest that money into small businesses and vocational training.

Lastly, adopt strict a pay-as-you-go spending policy. No new bonds. Period.

Idealistic and unrealistic-I know. But that's what I would do.
and how much will unemployment rise???? What do you think will happen once all those federal workers are unemployed and are trying to get by.

Federal Government

The private sector is impotent and will be unable to absorb the rapid increase of unemployed workers that this solution would cause.

Then lets not forget if you cut federal spending state spending will also be cut and many state workers will be out of jobs. More unemployed.

This OP is just another Prince John solution. Tax or cut wages to the poor to maintain or increase the comfort of the rich.

The problem with capitalism, just like communism is that the poor only have so much money for the rich to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times
Medicaid is a way of life for many people. They don't wake up in the morning and say "Gee, I should really reconsider my life and my lifestyle since the Government is in debt." They simply wake up, feel crappy, and go to the doctor and not think twice about it. I have witnessed this through various associations.

I don't believe that cutting funding is the answer. I believe that a total program overhaul, complete with individual lifetime limits, is needed in order to wean people off of the mentality that they can just rely on Medicaid as they've always done. I propose a 12-month lifetime maximum for benefits. One month's worth of benefits would be equal to 2 doctor visits and would be applicable to those who are deemed at or beneath the current poverty level. That's 24 visits to the doctor during that individual's adult lifetime, after which no taxpayer-funded medical benefits will be provided. Special provisions could be written for the terminally ill, but only after strict medical interpretation.

For children up to the age of 17, an additional 24 visits are taxpayer funded, afterwhich the adult benefits will kick in. From birth to death, low-income citizens will receive 48 total doctor visits. If insurance companies can regulate doctor visits, then the American taxpayer should be able to do the same.

While not perfect, I believe this system to be more than generous, and would provide an incentive for individuals to carefully analyze their own situation before "wasting" a doctor visit on an an aspirin or a band-aid. Entitlment mentality is usually entrenched, and we must do something to limit the taxpayer's exposure.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-21-2011 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,675,667 times
I'm not surprised that the majority of Americans want to sacrifice NOTHING and contribute NOTHING.

We can't only tax our way out of this. We can't only cut (spending) our way out of this. We can't tax only the wealthy and we can't cut only non-mandatory programs.

The budget resolution is going to contain some tax increases for all and some mandatory spending cuts and some discretionary spending cuts.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
There is a HUGE difference between programs that tax people their whole lives in return for a small benefit later
Wait a minute... are you saying that those who paid into Medicare and are now using it, have paid enough that they don't need current payers into the system to keep it afloat?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,614,299 times
A major problem being the general public is horribly uninformed about how serious our debt has become and how simply taxing the rich can't bail us out. Are we honestly surprised that most Americans don't want to give up their entitlements?

We used to fight to the death by the thousands to defend this country; today the majority isn't willing to take a cut in our benefits to save it.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not exactly.

SS is a retirement insurance program that is funded by participants. And with some small adjustments, can continue to be self sustaining.

Medicare is partially funded by participants, so it's mostly a welfare program.

Madicaid is a 100% welfare program.
Thank you, when are the some people going to understand this? They love to say, these are entitlement programs like other government program, they refuse to accept them as programs we paid or pay into just like any investment. Even medicare is an insurange program, it is not welfare. Madicaid is a totally different game.
NIta

Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
A major problem being the general public is horribly uninformed about how serious our debt has become and how simply taxing the rich can't bail us out. Are we honestly surprised that most Americans don't want to give up their entitlements?

We used to fight to the death by the thousands to defend this country; today the majority isn't willing to take a cut in our benefits to save it.
A government is a reflection of it's people since it's the people that vote the officials.

Our government is also in denial that we truly have a financial problem.
They talk about it and that's where it ends.
Why would the people be any different.

"Sure..go ahead with the cuts..but not MY program"

Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM

8,580 posts, read 9,067,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A government is a reflection of it's people since it's the people that vote the officials.

Our government is also in denial that we truly have a financial problem.
They talk about it and that's where it ends.
Why would the people be any different.

"Sure..go ahead with the cuts..but not MY program"
True we vote them in, however, the parties also vote in the hack who is going to do their bidding and then thrust the hack onto the people. Another words Americans end up with Heckle and Jeckel each representing the corrupt interests of a two party state.

We Americans get the two parties we deserve.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
True we vote them in, however, the parties also vote in the hack who is going to do their bidding and then thrust the hack onto the people. Another words Americans end up with Heckle and Jeckel each representing the corrupt interests of a two party state.

We Americans get the two parties we deserve.
We had a chance in 2008 with Ron Paul.
But he got tossed under the bus pretty early in the game.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We had a chance in 2008 with Ron Paul.
But he got tossed under the bus pretty early in the game.
Which speaks loudly of the right wing in America. He is the ONLY republican I can trust even as I disagree a lot with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies