Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is going to be a way of keeping Hispanics off of a jury. This will be a hidden opportunity to strike jurors because of race,
According to the leftwing liberals, 99.99% of Hispanics in America know how to speak English, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
According to the leftwing liberals, 99.99% of Hispanics in America know how to speak English, so this shouldn't be a problem.
If you're not engaged in illegal/treasonous activities, Patriot Act shouldn't bother you. Right?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 33,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
How could they be a juror if they don't understand what is being said? I swear the Left is totally insane.
Hey now! I've been a Democrat for 20 years, and believe, without a doubt, that we should take care of our own,
not leave them at the whims of the corporations and monopolies.

Hear that though?
We should take care of our own. I do NOT think we should be taking care
of other country's citizens. And if you are here legally and do not know English ,
and believe me the test they give at INS is ridiculously easy, then you don't belong here.

Bye, amigo!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,444,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here_For_The_Links View Post
Hey now! I've been a Democrat for 20 years, and believe, without a doubt, that we should take care of our own,
not leave them at the whims of the corporations and monopolies.

Hear that though?
We should take care of our own. I do NOT think we should be taking care
of other country's citizens. And if you are here legally and do not know English ,
and believe me the test they give at INS is ridiculously easy, then you don't belong here.

Bye, amigo!
I agree.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM

30 posts, read 33,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I'm about as leftwing as you can get.
That's not what I believe.

See, the Democratic Party is made up of a slew of different factions.
So, you look silly catagorizing a union/environment/ending the failed drug war type like me
with some Aztlan ******* so and so that wants to use our sympathy to take over this country.

Also, what did Bush do to close the border?
Not much, eh?

Anyways, I'm old and this is a complicated issue,
not really suited for online discussion, I think.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,662,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, it ain't. In fact, Texas is one of the states that has stayed away from trying to define English as the official language.
Yes it is.
Why are you against English?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
I'm still thinking about the ins and outs of this bill, but just to throw a wrench into the discussion on this thread, doesn't the law require that the accused be judged by a jury OF HIS PEERS. So if the accused is not fluent in English, how do you establish his parity with the jury? There used to be regular challenges to juries based on racial composition. Does this bill open that door again?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,670,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence
Repeat offender?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,670,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Yes it is.
Why are you against English?
No it's not. Neither the official language of the US, nor the official language of Texas.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm still thinking about the ins and outs of this bill, but just to throw a wrench into the discussion on this thread, doesn't the law require that the accused be judged by a jury OF HIS PEERS. So if the accused is not fluent in English, how do you establish his parity with the jury? There used to be regular challenges to juries based on racial composition. Does this bill open that door again?
What if he/she is here illegally ?
That's a slippery slope right there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies