Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I wonder, what would man look like as a rug, laid out in front of the living room fireplace?
Okay actionbell, you asked for it and it isn't what you would think!!...... Sorry, no fireplace included

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

The three best postions for gun control. Prone is the best of them.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The document is a living breathing document, open to interpretation. It reflects the morals of the people as they evolve over time.

The document is flawless, people are flawed.
And so were the founders. I applaud them for their genius and criticize them for their weaknesses. They came up with and approved the document. It had to have flaws. The good thing, their genius included a provision to let the document evolve with morals.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And so were the founders. I applaud them for their genius and criticize them for their weaknesses. They came up with and approved the document. It had to have flaws. The good thing, their genius included a provision to let the document evolve with morals.
I do a take back, no blue moon tonight. Its been real and its been fun...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Singapore has very swift justice. They do not tolerate cr*p at all. How many public canings have you seen held in the USA in the past 50 years?

London is a violent place. I cannot speak to Frankfurt other than to cite that just a couple of months ago Angela Merkle declared multi-culturalism a failure in Germany. If you don't mind I'll take her word over yours.

You look at it from the aspect that societies need to change. I look at it from the aspect that those living within a society or immigrating to a new land need to respect, adapt, and assimilate into the norms of the civilized society into which they live and move.

There is a disturbing lack of respect for the sanctity of human life in the USA. Those who carry firearms for self-defense legally here in the US at large are not the problem. We actually do respect life and understand the value of protecting it.

Those who believe violent felons should be able to plea deal down crimes involving lethal weapons in the commision of the crime are part of the problem. Those who scoff at laws on a daily basis and enable no-snitch policies that enable violent yet unprosecuted offenders are part of the problem. Those who believe innocent human life should be snuffed out by choice in the womb for mere convenience are part of the problem. Those actions which degrade respect for innocent human life, for the most helpless, for the law abiding, are all part of the problem.

When there are no real consequnces and justice is slow, sometimes taking decades, there is no real deterrent to violent crime.
I would take my word if I were you. I am not politician and have nothing to win or lose. Merkel is a stupid cow trying to appeal to the masses, a woman without core views and principles, turning with the wind.

So, in the end we are back to square one, why is the percentage of Americans unlawfully resorting to violence higher than elsewhere?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Okay actionbell, you asked for it and it isn't what you would think!!...... Sorry, no fireplace included
Its a shame I can rep you. lol

Old 04-22-2011, 01:48 PM

376 posts, read 295,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Are Americans more insane, violent by nature than other human beings? If that is so, why on earth would we make sure to arm them with weapons?
Let's assume Americans are more violent by nature. The violent will always attempt to prey upon those they perceive as weak. You take all guns away (impossible, the genie is out of the bottle) and the guy with the biggest baseball bat, longest knife, hardest punch, sharpest screwdriver, etc.) has the advantage. The firearm is the great equilizer.

I'm not a violent man, but I refuse to be intimidated by those who choose violence. That's why I carry my equalizer.

Said the old gunfighter when asked by a dude why he carried a 45, cause Colonel Colt don't make a 46.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
I just have a question for anyone, both sides of the gun control issue, answer this for me.

If in fact, that other countries such as Sweden have high gun ownership but not high gun related crime, then why? Why do we? What makes us in the top 5 of countries with violence?
If in fact, it isn't the gun laws in countries like Japan, Canada, England that makes them safer then what is it?
Are Americans more insane, violent by nature than other human beings? If that is so, why on earth would we make sure to arm them with weapons? I would think that would be a better argument than anything. Shouldn't we be banning weapons in a country full of hostile humans?
I really just don't get it. If you know of another reason why you think we have such a high incidence of gun violence in America then please let me in on it.
For me, on either side it points to gun control, no weapons, etc.

If gun control works in other countries than we should do it, if others are just not as violent than America and they can have little gun violence despite owning more weapons then we should definitely not arm Americans, right? We should get them out of here ASAP.
Either way it points to gun control and a revision of our constitution because we have changed and become crazy people since you had the right to a militia. Right?????
If I am wrong, please tell me why? Why would this not be the logical future of such a violent place?
Actually, we're #24 on the list.

Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Would you prefer to live in the US or Qatar? Saudi Arabia??

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Google it! Easy peasy lemon squeazy.
It diludes the other stats that conclude gun laws lower gun violence. Like Canada, Japan, etc.
Here is a bit about another fav: Swiss guns + Swiss people = nothing really lol
Armed, but Not Necessarily Dangerous - By Joshua E. Keating | Foreign Policy
There is soooooo much out there it would take to long, I would individually google what you don't already know or haven't heard.
http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

They aren't really "facts" more like data, which is ever changing so

Do you have an opinion with that shake?

Here is some more reading

Gun Deaths - MedicineNet - Health and Medical Information Produced by Doctors

More: More Guns = More Gun Death and Injury - More on Gun Issues - Citizens For A Safer Minnesota* (http://www.endgunviolence.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B0D44C5F1-C425-4ACA-B209-0D51F4F97474%7D&DE=%7BCBC8379A-D930-4B9D-95EF-05BDDD5A099E%7D - broken link)

I mean there are hundreds of opinions and data on this, sorry, I assume everyone has heard it before and again, and well, you know......
I asked for "Data", not articles that have a very biased slant.

One article gives data ( don't know if it is facts) from 1994. get real.

Don't tell me to google. You are the one making the claim. It is up to you to defend it.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
The anti-gunners have nothing to defend. They want control and tyranny over those who are free. That is simply an indefensible position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies