Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Can you name one thing in the universe that exists without a cause?
Doesn't your God exist without a cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
because we're NOT SINGLE. YOU ARE.

No, actually I'm married. It amuses me that you think the only people that recognize the inequality in our current marriage laws are homosexual, though.

Why should same-sex couples be denied the rights, privileges and protections under the law that I am afforded?

Also, please explain to me how allowing same-sex marriage would or should justify extending those rights and protections to single heterosexuals. I certainly don't see the connection...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Doesn't your God exist without a cause?
My God is not part of the universe--he exists above it, greater than it. He also never had a beginning, as did the universe. That's the only logical thing to the question of what caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, actually I'm married. It amuses me that you think the only people that recognize the inequality in our current marriage laws are homosexual, though.

Why should same-sex couples be denied the rights, privileges and protections under the law that I am afforded?
For the same reason the fundamental mormon shouldn't be allowed the same rights, priviledges and protections to get married to 4 women.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Can you name one thing in the universe that exists without a cause?

Can you account for the laws of logic existing without a creator?

Even the neo-atheist hero Dawkins concedes that life on earth is possibly a result of some super-alien creating it. Your little theories fall apart when examined in the real world with real logic.
1.) So that cause MUST be "God"?

2.) Why do the laws of logic rely on the presence of some ultimate creator?

3.) Life on Earth is possibly a result of millions of things. A supreme creator is not at the top of nearly any scientific or evidence-backed list.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
The left has polilticized the issue, not conservatives.

Nobody hates you. OTOH, we don't want homosexuality elevated to the lofty heights the left wants to make out of it. Nobody cares about your sexual proclivites and we aren't interested in hearing about it, or telling you about ours. Keep it to yourself where it belongs.
I'm sure most of the glbt community would do that if there weren't so many others running around trying to make sure they don't have equal access to things like marriage, job protection, housing protections and simply being allowed to live. Get rid of DOMA, DADT, discriminatory housing, employment and service laws and you'd likely never hear another word from them.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
1.) So that cause MUST be "God"?
Yes. Given an infinite amount of time and the infinite possibility, those possibilities would have come to be true. That is impossible, since we know that the universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time.

Based on that, we can conclude that the universe had a beginning and a personal creator...and wasn't just caused by a random event.

The only other conclusion is the personal creator--which we can call "God".
Quote:
2.) Why do the laws of logic rely on the presence of some ultimate creator?
Because they prove the existence of an ultimate mind. They are concepts that exist outside of time, space, location, etc.
Quote:
3.) Life on Earth is possibly a result of millions of things. A supreme creator is not at the top of nearly any scientific or evidence-backed list.
You need to take a class in philosophy.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
My God is not part of the universe--he exists above it, greater than it. He also never had a beginning, as did the universe. That's the only logical thing to the question of what caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing...
Very convenient answer - he caused himself

Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yes. Given an infinite amount of time and the infinite possibility, those possibilities would have come to be true. That is impossible, since we know that the universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time.

Based on that, we can conclude that the universe had a beginning and a personal creator...and wasn't just caused by a random event.

The only other conclusion is the personal creator--which we can call "God".
Uh, the fact that our universe had a beginning does NOT lead to the only conclusion being a "personal creator". Who says it wasn't caused by a random event?

Quote:
Because they prove the existence of an ultimate mind. They are concepts that exist outside of time, space, location, etc.
Logic is made up of concepts that exist outside of time, space, location, etc, so that proves an "ultimate mind" or creator? Really?

Quote:
You need to take a class in philosophy.
You need to take a class in science. Show me some examples of scientific, peer-reviewed and evidence backed studies that point to "God" being the most likely cause of life on Earth, please.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Wow. You win. That's right I can't show bacterium with the same genetic markers indicating that they are related develop resistance to drugs (survival of the fittest).

I can't show how we have many of the same genetic markers as apes. Nope can't do that.

Societies have not muted since they each society has sex with each other. Did you ever notice how skin color is a gradation? Part of the reason is because had sex with each other.

One aspect of speciation is distance. As humans, distance and isolation has never really been an issue, if you can go to a place...anyone else can (also, you can leave a place).

See, Darwin's finches displayed speciation due to their isolation over time as well as adapting towards their habitat.

Evolution is generally accepted as fact. See, many people have this weird notion that theory means guess. It's not a hypothesis.

Even you rely on evolution. A basis of medicine is understanding the genome and genetic diversity producing favorable traits so survival occurs. We try to be one step ahead of viruses and bacteria.
are you a 1st grader???

there are plenty of mutations...and you can see the MODERN SOCIETIES of it...heck even our POTUS is a mutation (mulato)

so SHOW ME( bet you cant) the CIVILIZATIONS or SOCIETIES of the actualy mutations over the 'evolutaionary scale'

sorry but showing me a freak like alice (which has been proved NOT to be in our chain) is not proof

there are humans with 6 fingers or toes...is that evolution??? nope its a freak mutation

or are you going to say a woman who also has a penis is evolution too????

Mark Wahlberg (actor, aka Marky-mark) has a third nipple...is that evolution????

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
are you a 1st grader???

there are plenty of mutations...and you can see the MODERN SOCIETIES of it...heck even our POTUS is a mutation (mulato)

so SHOW ME( bet you cant) the CIVILIZATIONS or SOCIETIES of the actualy mutations over the 'evolutaionary scale'

sorry but showing me a freak like alice (which has been proved NOT to be in our chain) is not proof

there are humans with 6 fingers or toes...is that evolution??? nope its a freak mutation

So, we should disallow consenting adults with polydactyly the option to marry, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies