Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
You didn't read the article.GM success comes from US and China
And you are just plain dense. They are selling more vehicles worldwide because Japan (home of Toyota) has been decimated. What effect do you think an earthquake of 9+magnitude would have on GM sales if it happened in Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How disgusting of GM to do that when Toyota has been the life blood of this Country since the early 1900s.
It's no longer 1900 it is now 2011 Rip.....things change.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have read various times that by 2020 at the latest VW will be the biggest automaker...

No State-Respecting Russian is going to drive a NAZI car.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Putin Test Drives Europe's Cheapest Car, Takes 5 Attempts To Start

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And you are just plain dense. They are selling more vehicles worldwide because Japan (home of Toyota) has been decimated. What effect do you think an earthquake of 9+magnitude would have on GM sales if it happened in Detroit?
GM was well on its way to record growth before the earthquake and tsunami struck and while the slow up of production in Toyota factories here does have a slight benefit to GM, it's not by any means an explanation for their record growth. (People who buy foriegn, aren't easily swayed to buy American. They'll just wait the extra 3-5 months for their new car.) Toyota has learned that they have to diversify their parts production which---as sad as it is for Japan---has been good for American jobbers who are stepping up to the plate to tool up for Toyota parts to get them back in full swing by fall. They have been effected/helped by the problems in Japan 1,000 times more than GM. A spokesperson for Toyota said that diversifying parts production is a lesson they won't forget in the future, being the live in an earthquake prone country.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 05-14-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
GM was well on its way to record growth before the earthquake and tsunami struck and while the slow up of production in Toyota factories here does have a slight benefit to GM, it's not by any means an explanation for their record growth. (People who buy foriegn, aren't easily swayed to buy American. They'll just wait the extra 3-5 months for their new car.) Toyota has learned that they have to diversify their parts production which---as sad as it is for Japan---has been good for American jobbers who are stepping up to the plate to tool up for Toyota parts to get them back in full swing by fall. They have been effected/helped by the problems in Japan 1,000 times more than GM. A spokesperson for Toyota said that diversifying parts production is a lesson they won't forget in the future, being the live in an earthquake prone country.
At least the Japanese learn from their past mistakes. The same cannot be said for the US. We keep traveling down the same road wondering why we keep ending up at the same destination. Anyone wanna take bets on how soon the next bailout for GM will be?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
R.I.P., dragneel.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
I can just cry when i think about how happy i am that we bailed out GM. Best use of my tax dollars that i've seen in a while.

I know that gives you righties a good bit of apoplexy, so take an aspirin and call your doctor in the morning.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I can just cry when i think about how happy i am that we bailed out GM. Best use of my tax dollars that i've seen in a while.

I know that gives you righties a good bit of apoplexy, so take an aspirin and call your doctor in the morning.
GM should have stayed in Flint.

Detroit belongs to Ford.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
At least the Japanese learn from their past mistakes. The same cannot be said for the US. We keep traveling down the same road wondering why we keep ending up at the same destination. Anyone wanna take bets on how soon the next bailout for GM will be?
About every 75 to 100 years, the growth and decline cycle of ALL game changing industries that grew cities and mega support/supplier base businesses around them. I can't believe how many people b***h about GM but don't give a flying fig about the oil companies getting 100 years worth of subsidies, especially now while they are having record profits. I know, I know, oil industry CEOs support Republicans and middle class factory workers support Democrats. Can't have those little guys/gals getting ahead. <sarcasm off>

Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
About every 75 to 100 years, the growth and decline cycle of ALL game changing industries that grew cities and mega support/supplier base businesses around them. I can't believe how many people b***h about GM but don't give a flying fig about the oil companies getting 100 years worth of subsidies, especially now while they are having record profits. I know, I know, oil industry CEOs support Republicans and middle class factory workers support Democrats. Can't have those little guys/gals getting ahead. <sarcasm off>
Oil industry CEO's are no different than CEO's of any other industry, so please, stop the hatin'. Your comparison isn't quite as cut and dry as you'd like it to appear. Oil, like it or not, powers our entire economy. There is not one single sector of our economy that isn't reliant on a stable and continuous supply of oil. Not one. Now, I'm no fan of government subsidies but having energy stability would at least be a higher priority for most Americans than whether or not the GM union workers get to keep their pensions and other benefits. The GM bailout benefited a few at the expense of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies