Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
We didn't "ramp up drilling," we opened the petroleum reserves. "Ramping up drilling" is a process that takes years. If we opened up ANWR to drilling tomorrow, you wouldn't see an impact on prices until 2015--and that is if we saw an impact at all, since any price difference would be negligible.
No, the prices would come down pretty rapidly. It's not about how much inventory you have right now, there is actually an OVER supply of oil right now but the prices are sky high. That's because speculators are banking on there being a shortage of some sort because of what is going on in the ME. If we were to start producing more oil here, the speculators wouldn't be too worried about a shortage coming up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Correct me if I'm off base here, but did'nt the price of gas started really shooting up AFTER Bush invaded Iraq?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Correct me if I'm off base here, but did'nt the price of gas started really shooting up AFTER Bush invaded Iraq?
And what if it did? It was back down to below $2/gal before he left office.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria2388 View Post
Not yet, but maybe. My favorite hobby (as opposed to interest, ala Carlin) in life is boating. I don't currently own a boat, and need a new vehicle as well.

I'm at a crossroads:

A) buy a 40K boat and a 35K truck to trailer it, have an incredible time, and spent 80/90 percent of my expendable monies on the expenses associated with these two things. Or

B) Buy a new Prius for 25K and work my ass off to find something I enjoy as much as boating.

The excess fuel differential from the truck to Prius will cost me 200-ish bucks a month. Not to mention 10K more for the truck. Then 40K for the boat, plus insurance, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think I'll find anything I enjoy as much boating. It's a tough decision. I've been laboring over it intensely.
Your options may end up being rowboat or sailboat
Neither need gasoline.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No, the prices would come down pretty rapidly.
There's simply no supporting evidence for this. Even under the most wildly exuberant of projections for the amount of oil the U.S. could reasonably be expected to extract from its own land, it would barely have an appreciable impact on prices. This is because oil is a global commodity and the amount of so-called "domestic oil" would be a bare fraction of global output. We aren't Saudi Arabia, we aren't Venezuela, and we aren't Kuwait.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
We aren't Saudi Arabia, we aren't Venezuela, and we aren't Kuwait.
And we have more oil under our soil that all of them combined. Your point?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Unbelievable!:

How NOW that we have a BLACK president , some say it's HIS fault that gas prices are so high.

The SAME "some" who swore it wasn't Bush's fault when gas prices were so high in his administration.

And totally unbelievable that some cannot comprehend that the SUPPLY of oil has NO relation to the price.....we could be drowning in it and SPECULATORS could raise the price of gas.

It IS the SPECULATORS who are raising it now and only a cavedwelling, brain dead ignoramous disagrees. EVERY source of news I've heard or checked AGREE.

We have enough oil!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What technology? Wind, solar, electric cars that nobody wants? Wind and solar CANNOT do the job. Has been hyped for DECADES now and still we find it too costly and too inefficient.

Oil is reliable, abundant and cheap - there is NO REASON to forgo it.
IF oil is cheap then WHY are you complaining about the price of gas?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
Not substantially. I drive a 4-cylinder truck for my commute (42 miles one way) - I can't do much about that. I did cancel my cable TV and saved $60 per month but I did that because I don't need TV. The saving there rolled over to the gas bill.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:15 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,800 times
We "have" oil that we have to buy from other countries with a collapsing dollar....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies