Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

38,615 posts, read 26,270,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oil prices are set on the open market. What's the matter? The right NOW going to whine for MORE government interference or just another sham excuse to blame Obama for something he has no causal relationship with?

You seriously don't think our 1.7 trillion dollar deficit, future projected deficits and 14 trillion in accumulated debt are related to the current weak dollar?

Do you not understand the relationship between commodities and currencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,272,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
"Under my plan, energy prices will necessarily rise."
-Barack Obama.
Prices rise when supply is finite and demand keeps going up. That is the energy market, it has nothing to do with anyones policies. Thats just logical. Renewable energy is different. As everyone starts adopting solar energy to provide their energy, prices will keep coming down. Sustainability is a choice, greed is a choice, living beyond your means is a choice... that choice should affect only the person making that choice, but with energy, it affects us all.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM

26,917 posts, read 15,131,411 times
I can say I'm not spending anything to spur the economy. I'm sure I'm not in a minority either and together it's not helping to bring about a "recovery".

Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Prices rise when supply is finite and demand keeps going up. That is the energy market, it has nothing to do with anyones policies. Thats just logical. Renewable energy is different. As everyone starts adopting solar energy to provide their energy, prices will keep coming down. Sustainability is a choice, greed is a choice, living beyond your means is a choice... that choice should affect only the person making that choice, but with energy, it affects us all.
Prelude to my response: I'm looking to build a dual on-grid solar/wind system. I want to get off the public utilities, not just to be green, but to have power when the grid breaks. Solar and wind is a pipe dream and is NOT cost effective. Prices won't go down as demand goes up because those resourses have to be mined and are also finite. Wind turbines require rare earth which is currently cornered by the Chinese. Certain US solar companies have been subsidized by the government effectively picking favorites to succeed and forcing the mom and pop companies out of business. BTW, the Chinese also make 70% of the solar panels in the world as well. Yippy lets all go green, then complain about no jobs here in the US.

And the EPA pulling hundreds of mining, drilling and refining permits for new and existing projects doesn't effect prices? You mean higher energy prices don't raise the costs of farming, processing and transporting food? I'm not sure how old you are, but I've never seen $1500 gold, $50 silver, all crop commodities up 300%, $5 gallon gas in just two years, nor a dollar that has lost 22% in 10 short years. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever.

What will happen if Cass Sunstein has his way for another five years?

The EPA has never been given this much power and they are going crasy with it. Obama has given them this power to do HIS bidding in an end around Congress.

Check this out:
epa pulls permits - Google Search

3m results with page after page of permits the EPA has revoked in the last two years. Obama said "under my plan energy prices would skyrocket", and now that they are people are still denying that he has any control over what's happening? Are they insane?

I'd like to know how the left can say the right is drinking koolaid when the facts show they are the ones with eyes wide shut. Tell me whose worse, people who made a bad choice for a President (Bush) and admitted it or people who made a bad choice (Obama) and still use Bush as their excuse to support him? Obama is just finishing Bushs' third term, I don't want him to be around for a fourth.

Bring the troops home (we'll save billions of $$ and millions of barrels) and put them on the border, interdict whats going on in Mexico and stop the drug gangs war mongering.

Sheep to slaughter...

Last edited by steven_h; 04-25-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,412,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You guys are very misled. The president doesn't set commodity prices and has little control over the economy
Well since THIS president has little regard for the Constitution or Congress for that matter and seems to rule by signings and executive orders almost exlusively and takes marching orders as to when to start wars from the likes of the Bilderberg Group, if he suddenly was to do the RIGHT thing for a change he could call for an:

1) Audit of the Fed

2) End to the raising of the debt ceiling

3) End to the wars and bring the troops home like he campaigned on....

JUST FOR STARTERS. These are things that would drastically slow down the rise of oil prices and inflation if not reverse them.

This would only happen if Obama GOT RELIGION or something and for the first time as president, something would come over him and he would finally decide to DO THE RIGHT THING for a change (instead of continuing to make things worse and further destroy the country).

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,604,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What an unmitigated disaster.
The unmitigated disaster is the intelligence level of those who claim that Obama is responsible for gas prices, and that prices are at a record high. What the dummies don't realize is that the price of gas was at its highest while BUSH was in office. Got it?

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Of course, I don't expect dummies to pay any attention to simple facts.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,909,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The unmitigated disaster is the intelligence level of those who claim that Obama is responsible for gas prices, and that prices are at a record high. What the dummies don't realize is that the price of gas was at its highest while BUSH was in office. Got it?

Current Gas Prices and Price History

Get back to us in a month or so. Or just wait til' hurricane season kicks into high gear. Gas is going nowhere but up.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,188,475 times
some people can be so obnoxious, they never give up, and keep spinning the same twisted logic and outright lies. Without naming names of course.

the whole foundation of the OP was based on quicksand and the implications that the OP was trying to draw from it were completely bogus.

Quote:

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times
Quote:

I'll see your highest ever and raise you highest ever for this time of year, 2 months running.

Gas Prices Hit Their Highest Level Ever For Mid-February

Yahoo!Finance reports Gas pump prices highest ever for this time of year
U.S. gasoline prices have jumped to the highest levels ever for the middle of February. The national average hit $3.127 per gallon on Friday, about 50 cents above a year ago.

The price is about 6 percent higher than on this date in 2008. The next day, pump prices began a string of 32 gains over 34 days. They rose 39 percent over five months, eventually hitting an all-time high of $4.11 per gallon in July.

Read more: Gas Prices Hit Their Highest Level Ever For Mid-February

AND:
In Case You Missed It - ABC News: Gasoline Prices Reach Highest Level Ever Recorded in March

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 1, 2011 - ABC News reported today that gasoline prices have increased for seven straight weeks and that the national average price has reached the highest amount ever recorded in the month of March. Responding to this news, House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings (WA-04) continued to call for increased American energy production to create jobs and lower prices.

I agree that dummies ignore facts. If prices are the highest EVER for the last two months it's safe to say they'll end up higher this summer than the summer of 2008... and that means they will be the highest EVER. Are you paying attention yet?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,417,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
quantitative easing, stimulus, and money printing are the critical factors in devaluing the dollar, and causing higher oil and gas prices. When it comes to the economy and the dollar, Obama is just continuing the George W. Bush goals and policies.

people need to understand that this has been a bipartisan effort.
None of what you said matters. Obama is in charge now. He owns it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies