Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
From one of your links:

SOTC: Introduction

SOTC: Sea Ice

The Guardian and Telegraph for sea level sources? Really?

SOTC: Sea Level

I stuck with your link to nsidc.org/sotc since it is well organized. It sources its information from IPCC, or The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's reports. A very reliable source of information.

Well done! Brings to mind the word 'hoisted' and the phrase 'one's own petard'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Notice that many of them are "if nothing is done" but in fact something was done. Industry and even government took action. The Cuyahoga river no longer catches fire. Smog has been reduced greatly. The main thing that changed is back then they were predicting global cooling and a new ice age.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
When was the last time we saw a dinosaur (alive) or an Azetc? Aztec Society

What we should try to do, is improve our environment, so as to have a better quality of life for us and the generations to come.

What we should not do, is throw money (tax dollars) at something that does not exist, or that will not amount to a hill a beans, in the realistic scheme of things.

Stop buying what the government 'studies' are trying to sell us and make sure they are doing the job we are paying them to do, in the first place. If they continue to waste time and money, we should fire them and hire replacements.

~ do a follow up on George Carlin on u-tube and find out why he didn't vote. ~
Sea levels are rising, not quickly, but they have been rising. The average temperature has gone up. We know that we've contributed to these things.

Dinosaurs and Aztecs did not have the technological capability that we do.

You're not a meteorologist. You're not a biologist, chemist, etc.

It's not only the government that conducts such studies.

This should really not be a partisan issue, nor a government vs. no government issue.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
So I guess we shouldn't try to avoid catastrophe and go extinct? Is that the deal?
How will paying a global carbon tax prevent catastrophe?

Quote:
Sea levels are rising, not quickly, but they have been rising. The average temperature has gone up. We know that we've contributed to these things.

This should really not be a partisan issue, nor a government vs. no government issue.
Supposedly, the Earth's temperature has risen 1/2 degree.......over 150 years, the most important years in this planet's 6 billion year history. At least that's what the cult believers would have us believe.

No warming;

World may not be warming, say scientists - Times Online
Ice In The Greenhouse: Earth May Be Cooling, Not Warming
Climate myths: The lower atmosphere is cooling, not warming - environment - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist
DailyTech - Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

I just have to ask: do the warmists believe that the arctic ice/antarctic ice is STATIC, never changes? Do they realize there IS a "summer" melt at both areas, you know, where the ice melts, retreats and then advances?

This has been going on for like......BILLIONS of year.

Doing Advance Work: Arctic Ice in 2011 doing fine per gov. data, too bad they can't read their own charts

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

And just WOW, it now starts to melt...because it is in the "melt" season.

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/in...-slowing-down/

I seem to recall seas existed once where we now have DESERTS.....so much for sea levels rising.

Last edited by sanrene; 04-24-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
the polar ice caps are melting
polar bears are very endangered
the seas have risen
and people in asian cities often wear masks because of pollution

how does your foot taste?

get a clue

I still don't understand the aversion some people have to those who want to treat the environment better.
Supply data to support you claim.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Sarene, truly I admire your misguided chutzpah. I mean even after Air Force and many other threads where you've been proven wrong time and time again you continue the same tactics only to convince yourself and entrenched individuals that we are truly blessed and have no impact on climate.

I wish that 6 billion people and tons of CO2 had no impact. However, I prefer to go with the generally scientifically accepted models that there is a problem.

Now as far as a Carbon tax, are you referring to cap and trade? Initially that was a Republican idea. I didn't support it then...nor do I now. I don't think we need another derivatives market and the European model of cap and trade has done little to nothing on reducing CO2 (not that you care about that...but many people do, notably those that aren't wearing rose colored glasses).

Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Surveyed scientists agree global warming is real - CNN

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:

Every thing the earth is doing now, the earth was doing long before we got here. We didn't cause it. I don't have to be a meteorologist to understand the earth is aging. From that aging process brings about volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, etc....

The only thing difference between now and dinosaur age, is now we have the ability to detect weather events and prepare for them. The dinosaurs had their wits and intuitions.

However, then we have to take our technology further and find out if a gain can be had on the part of the people.

While I can appreciate this should not be a government issue---the line is so thin, between us and them, as they have grown bigger---there is no line any more.

The common joke has always been, if the government could tax us on the air we breath, they would.

House Bill for a Carbon Tax to Cut Emissions Faces a Steep Climb - NYTimes.com (carbon dioxide)

NASA - Earth's Atmosphere

Composition of the Atmosphere

The atmosphere is primarily composed of Nitrogen (N2, 78%), Oxygen (O2, 21%), and Argon (Ar, 1%). A myriad of other very influential components are also present which include the water (H2O, 0 - 7%), "greenhouse" gases or Ozone (O, 0 - 0.01%), and Carbon Dioxide (CO2, 0.01-0.1%).

(my emphasis in bold)

Now what is left, they have to sell it to us, so as we will accept the tax. Question now is, will the people buy into what they are selling so as they can begin their gain in the form of tax dollars? Or will the people engage their minds into critical thinking and go...wait a minute, what?

Also will they fire those in government for wasting their time, along with our time and money?

A smart man one told me once, 'anything will sell as long as the presentation is applied appropriately'.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Maybe some of these predictions seem in hindsight to be wrong. Did you consider the possibility that those dire predictions forced industry and government to take pre-emptive action ( like banning CFCs, raising CAFE, implementing Energy Star, etc.) and it was these actions that prevented the predictions from becoming true.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
the seas have risen

get a clue
Not one inch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies