Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I've also been a foster parent. Contrary to what some posters think, foster parents are not given "food stamps" to feed these kids. I spent more than any allowance given to care for a child. Haircuts, (which did NOT have to be okayed with anyone other than the child and myself), activities, (sports, dance, music etc.) cell phone, (prepaid by me for emergency use), clothing, etc,... etc,... . We always bought new clothing thought they weren't always from the "in" stores. I didn't take a foster child to make money, I did it to help a child.
That was why we did it as well for about 8 years. We have one foster daughter (she is now in her 50s) and just like our daughter. Ask her what it was like living as a foster child with us. She just makes us feel so good and makes us want to cry with pride.

Of course there are some who do it for money, but people. as you said, do not understand the program, how it works or why people choose to be foster parents.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Too bad it is tiring. Poor abused righties.

The Republicans come up with the Ryan Plan that directly and immediately benefits the wealthy while stripping benefits from the needy.

Perhaps your Pols should refrain from draping themselves in the flag of compassion.

This buying of only used clothing idea is but one of all too many examples of the mindset of the current Repub/Tea advocates.

It goes to their belief structure, their level of understanding, and their ethical standards of morality.

Too bad if you do not like being called on it.

The shoe fits and the right is wearing it.
you know nothing about fostering children, you know nothing about how they are treated or how conservatives, as well as liberals might feel...It is the liberals that are narrow minded. You seem to think all Republicans fall into the catagory of Tea Partiers.

BTW, what does the Paul Ryan plan have to do with what kind of clothes foster kids wear? Talk about spinning the issue, you certainly did it this time.

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
We'd like to foster now but, age and health issues don't allow for it. As for buying clothes for a child from a thrift store, there's only one small church thrift store nearby and, there's no way to find enough suitable clothing for a child there. It just isn't feasable (IMO) in rural areas.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Show me a kid in foster care and 9 times out of 10 I can show you a misguided liberal policy which put the kid there.
So abusive parents and deadbeat parents are now liberal policy??

If conservatives had their way, all the parents that wanted to abuse or neglect their kids would be free to do as they wish. No government, and no intervention.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We'd like to foster now but, age and health issues don't allow for it. As for buying clothes for a child from a thrift store, there's only one small church thrift store nearby and, there's no way to find enough suitable clothing for a child there. It just isn't feasable (IMO) in rural areas.
WE too have passed the age of even considering it again.

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Seems the Rep actually was just trying to make sure the $80 annual clothing allowance that goes on the food stamp card actually buys clothes for the kid and not something for the parent.

Senator Bruce Caswell :: 16th District
Quote:
Show me a kid in foster care and 9 times out of 10 I can show you a misguided liberal policy which put the kid there.
I've had children that were abandoned (literally dumped), children that were molested in the home and, in one case, a child I picked up from a mental health hospital,...in the winter, that had no coat, wearing flip-flops. It's difficult to impossible to dress a child for a YEAR at $80.00.
It's not a "misguided" policy, nor is it easy to remove a child from a home. Every attempt is made to reunite the child with the biological parent(s). In most situations I've seen, it would be better if it were easier to terminate the parental rights. (IMO)

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know nothing about fostering children, you know nothing about how they are treated or how conservatives, as well as liberals might feel...It is the liberals that are narrow minded. You seem to think all Republicans fall into the catagory of Tea Partiers.

BTW, what does the Paul Ryan plan have to do with what kind of clothes foster kids wear? Talk about spinning the issue, you certainly did it this time.

Nita
Lost a bit of focus did ya?

I am so shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies