Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:26 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Who here remembers gas for .87 cents per gallon?
OH for G-d's sake. I remember gas for twenty-seven cents per gallon. So what?

A house also cost $10,000 back then. How the hell is that relevant to anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You understand that the oil up there will not lower gas prices...right?

You stop to think if we can't seal a blowout in the gulf that we have less chance in the Arctic?

Going too far...hardly, not far enough in most cases.

Actually, the Gulf well had a self-sealing emergency valve which should have shut all the oil, but it malfunctioned. Are we going to stop flying the next time a plane crashes?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:28 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Well just for kicks: I bought my house in 1995 for $220,000. Gas, for a long time, was around $.97-$1.03 per gallon. My house isn't worth a whole lot more these days but I the gas is!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
It also doesn't help when people think that if Shell drills in the Arctic waters owned by the U.S., that that makes the oil they bring up to the surface, property of the U.S. It's not. It belongs 100% and solely to Shell Oil.

And guess what Shell Oil can (and will) do with it? Sell it to the highest bidder on the WORLD MARKET.

I'm so sick of Republicans lying to the American public about what drilling off America's shores would accomplish. It's not "our" oil. It's whoever drills for it's oil. And they get to do whatever the hell they want with it, even if that means not selling it to the U.S.
How on earth do all of these free-marketeers miss this simple fact?
Absolutely mind-boggling.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Post Gas is cheaper than it has ever been!

The truth is gasoline today is cheaper than it has ever been if paid for by real US Money not Treasury notes.

Take a pre- 1964 dime to a coin store, and trade it for treasury notes (dollars) You will see you now have have 4 of them. Yes a silver dime is now worth $4!

Then quickly run to the gas station and trade those notes for 1 gallon of gas.

Gas = 10 cents/gallon

So, is gas really high or is it that the dollar got trashed by all the bailouts.

Think about it

Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Well just for kicks: I bought my house in 1995 for $220,000. Gas, for a long time, was around $.97-$1.03 per gallon. My house isn't worth a whole lot more these days but I the gas is!
Gas Prices History

"The gas prices history shows us that the fluctuation in the prices is not always because of limited supply of gas. There are various other factors involved, such as the energy policies we make, wars, government taxes, crude oil markets etc."

Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How on earth do all of these free-marketeers miss this simple fact?
Absolutely mind-boggling.
Maxinne Waters, is that you?
You say free-marketeer like it's a bad thing

Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:

Twenty seven cents per gallon when?

Nothing has changed about how we drill for oil. In fact it's more efficient.

Nothing has changed about how oil is refined into petrol. That's more efficient also.

Yet we're paying nearly 5 bucks per gallon 24 years later.

There's plenty of oil to sustain this country - we don't need to rely on OPEC nations for our oil.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The EPA excercises control BASED ON LEGISLATION THAT COMES OUT OF CONGRESS!

I see you giving absolutely no accountability for the oil and gas industry to develop cleaner, and safer ways to get oil and natural gas out of the ground or from under the ocean. WHY IS THAT?

We've already seen what happens when the oil and gas industry is left to their own devices. THEY WILL POLLUTE AND CREATE UNHEALTHY CONDITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO PEOPLE OR THE ENVIRONMENT.

If there are regulations in place they were put their because WHEN THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY WAS UNREGULATED THEY OPERATED IN AN ENVIRONMENTALLY UNSAFE MANNER.

And once the regulation were put in place the Obama Administration looked the other way while BP was issued categorical exemptions by MMS for those same regulations. It isn't enough to simply create regulations if the president effectively sells exemptions.

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

"The issuance of those exemptions was preceded by extensive lobbying by BP, which -- as usual -- succeeded in its objectives: "The agency's oversight role has devolved to little more than rubber-stamping British Petroleum's self-serving drilling plans," said Center for Biological Diversity's Kierán Suckling."

Ken Salazar, corporatism and the BP oil spill - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
A tad more comprehensive and un biased report

Shell Offshore Oil Arctic Plans Cancelled - Offshore Oil Drilling in the Arctic - Popular Mechanics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies