Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Amazing that the major news outlets will put Sarah Palin and Donald Trump everywhere....but not a real intellectual like Ron Paul.
He doesn't do TV well. I hope more exposure will give him the on-camera composure he needs to better get his ideas across. He'd make a great president, and might, just might,save this country from continuing to spiral downward toward third world status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
I can't stand Blowhard..I mean Behar and Whoopie...two morons!

I like Ron Pauls ideas,hope people wake up towards him.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Id never watch The View but he made on there

Me and family and friends will be donating and doing all we can if he runs for President...
To the simple-minded and clueless, paul seems like a good candidate, but after watching this clip it is easy to see why he keeps running and never getting far, his ideas and opinions on many topics are total nonsense, if not downright laughable.

First off, it doesn't even seem like the answers he provides are even from an adult; if I was reading a script and did not know who was talking, I'd think his responses were actually from a high school student.

"Let's just march right out of the wars"? Is that what passes for policy in his mind? Just order the US army out of Afghanistan and leave a total vacuum for pakistan, china, the taliban and al qaeda to fill? So when the terrorists begin planning and implementing more terror attacks against the US from their safe haven there, will his response as president be - well, we cannot go there because it is not our country?

Or even better, well planned parenthood is not explicitly stated in the constitution, so it is "illegal" and cannot be funded? Either he is still in high school, or he thinks his audience is.

Filling potholes and arresting people for selling crack is not explicitly spelled out in it either - so that means the gov't can no longer do either? NASA wasn't in the constitution either, so the moon landings should also be a cause for concern...

This is what happens when you put slick politicians in front of panel members with zero background - behar didn't even know when he had previously run for president, I guess her staff isn't used to actually having to research or check real facts for her, since she doesn't seem all that interested in them anyway - in politics or issues of depth. This is clearly a show tailored for soccer moms whose issue depth reaches .01 mm, they are better suited to covering deep topics like the latest popular toe-nail paint color.

C'mon, this country is in some complex shyte right now, and the last thing we need is a lightweight like paul and his absurd nonsensical ideas that would only worsen these problems. Simplistic, one-liners don't make for policy, we need people of intelligence with depth who can handle and manage complex issues with subtlety - the very reason he has never achieved higher office - and never will.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Did anyone actually watch the clip? Whoopi Goldberg was not shaking her head; she was agreeing with him. Joy Behar was also agreeing with him. The audience cheered. The View hosts were in support of him; they were not jeering him. This is why it's always important to read the articles and watch the clips yourself as opposed to reading thread titles. There was no controversy in this at all.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
agreed the times I've watched her on the view, as well as on other shows, I noticed her do the same things.

None of the things you said will happen. I don't think you know exactly what the DOE does or you give them more credit than what they deserve. The main things that will change
1. huge savings as the ineffective and costly layer of federal government is gone
2. decisions are made at the state level. Cali teaches the way the want Texas teaches the way they want. One size does not fit all.

Plenty of people do not get medical care for low cost nowadays too. Because of the involvement in the government, the cost of medicine has risen dramatically. Have you ever wondered why technology brings down the cost in other fields except medicine?
the problem is with the way the government wants to do it. Theft and coercion are not the way a society grows.

You've made some allegations in this post that are based on false beliefs.

The reason people want local control is they know they can vote them out and not be subject to tyrannical rule. You can change a local rule to fit the needs of the region. It is a lot easier to change a local rule to suit the communities needs than it is to change a federal rule.
So true .... and very sound thinking! Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I have lived in Texas for quit some time and to say there is a lot of racial and class prejudice is idiotic. Name me all the different parts of Texas you have lived in that you can make this all encompassing ridiculous statement.

I have lived in Maryland and Texas. Although their isn't that much difference in the amount of racial and class prejudice between the two, Maryland was definitely worse. But the important thing to note is it is based on a small segment on what I have lived in. I wouldn't recklessly paint Maryland as a racist and class prejudice state. Tons of wonderful people in that state.
Well well ... me too. Born in Maryland, and living in Texas. Austin in particular, but Texas in general is very open arms to anyone who behaves themselves. If you are a good person, and care about something other than yourself ... most Texans will at least tolerate you, if not make you a member of their family.

God bless Texas, and the good Texans that make up the best state in the union!!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
To the simple-minded and clueless, paul seems like a good candidate, but after watching this clip it is easy to see why he keeps running and never getting far, his ideas and opinions on many topics are total nonsense, if not downright laughable.

First off, it doesn't even seem like the answers he provides are even from an adult; if I was reading a script and did not know who was talking, I'd think his responses were actually from a high school student.

since you're commenting on his level of intelligence, how about posting up yours??

"Let's just march right out of the wars"? Is that what passes for policy in his mind? Just order the US army out of Afghanistan and leave a total vacuum for pakistan, china, the taliban and al qaeda to fill? So when the terrorists begin planning and implementing more terror attacks against the US from their safe haven there, will his response as president be - well, we cannot go there because it is not our country?

actually, it is that easy...

Or even better, well planned parenthood is not explicitly stated in the constitution, so it is "illegal" and cannot be funded? Either he is still in high school, or he thinks his audience is.

planned parenthood type services would be better off being privately run based off charitable donations...no reason to get the federal gov't involved.

Filling potholes and arresting people for selling crack is not explicitly spelled out in it either - so that means the gov't can no longer do either? NASA wasn't in the constitution either, so the moon landings should also be a cause for concern...

awesome analogy...planned parenthood vs. nasa? c'mon man...

This is what happens when you put slick politicians in front of panel members with zero background - behar didn't even know when he had previously run for president, I guess her staff isn't used to actually having to research or check real facts for her, since she doesn't seem all that interested in them anyway - in politics or issues of depth. This is clearly a show tailored for soccer moms whose issue depth reaches .01 mm, they are better suited to covering deep topics like the latest popular toe-nail paint color.

"slick politician"...that's a first! Ron Paul is the epitome of the anti-politician...

C'mon, this country is in some complex shyte right now, and the last thing we need is a lightweight like paul and his absurd nonsensical ideas that would only worsen these problems. Simplistic, one-liners don't make for policy, we need people of intelligence with depth who can handle and manage complex issues with subtlety - the very reason he has never achieved higher office - and never will.
actually, you're right...we're in some "complex shyte" right now! and the last thing we need is to complicate them even more...which is why we need Ron Paul to guide our country back to sanity.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post

Yes, it is that easy. We did it in Viet Nam and look what has happened to that country. It's become a tourist destination and a center for high tech resources.

If we are the world's policeman, we we are doing a terrible job. The results are not worth the loss of lives and money we are spending.

Just like the war on drugs. We are losing that one every year and should immediately shut it down.

Ron Paul would shut down all wars.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
He's absolutely right about everything. When a liberal celebrity says something as ludicrous as "But HOW do we get out of the wars?" he makes the common-sense reply "The same way we got into them--we marched right in, so let's turn around and march right out again!" It's like a wise elder talking to a 5-year-old. Nothing is keeping us at war except the obedience of "our" elected officials to their owners/masters, the ultra-rich who profit from the military-industrial complex that is bankrupting our nation and diverting tax money from the "needy" to the filthy rich.

As to Planned Parenthood, considering how little taxpayer money actually goes to abortions for poor women, it really isn't a big deal to separate that agency and a million other charities from taxpayer support. If government limited itself to the things it actually should be doing, all working taxpayers would have more of their own earnings to distribute to the charities THEY support--instead of handing their earnings to a corrupt politician who then gains power from handing the money to HIS favorite charities.

Actually, whether you are a Republican or Democrat or Libertarian, you would be wise to support a Libertarian like Ron Paul. The changes he'll make will be the only way the system can survive even a little while longer. The Republicrat Party has made it more than clear that absolutely NOTHING will change in their behavior, so voting for either in 2012 will cause the collapse to happen as quickly as possible. If you are already in your defensible rural homestead, with food and water and arms and precious metals stockpiled, maybe you want it all to come crashing down ASAP. But that isn't most of us. And even if it is you, you can use a few more years to prepare, because it won't go down exactly as you expect.
Also regarding things like abortion and Gay Marriage: These aren't things the Federal government should be involved in anyway. They should be, if any government should be involved at all, up to each state to decide.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
If RP would back off gold standard (or someone could explain it to me) I could almost be pursuaded.
Having a gold standard is when the money supply is backed by a certain amount of something scarece like Gold. The money supply can't be increased without the amount of gold increasing. This helps money not only retain its value and purchasing power but strengthens it.

Currencies are FIAT money when they are backed by nothing and bankers are allowed to counterfeit (print more money out of thin air which would land you or I in jail). When central banksters like Ben Bernanke can just go ahead and print $$ without anyone knowing which is happening now, (Congress is clueless as to the details of what they do), the money supply is HUGELY expanded and by the time the new money filters down to us, it has lost purchasing power.

Here is a pretty good explanation but the guy says "looses purchasing power" when he means loses purchasing power.
History of Fiat Money

When you have a fiat money system there is no incentive to save $ because more and more keeps getting added to the supply and thus resulting in diminished purchasing power.

Imagine in the game of Monopoly if besides the money that comes with the game, one person playing the game had a special printer where he could print up as much $$ as he wanted but nobody else playing the game could. Initially he'd be able to buy up all the real estate and not have to wait to go past "go" and collect $200. Eventually this player's money would get added to the money supply when he landed on a square where he had to pay something. But it wouldn't be very fair to the other players who had to earn their money according to the rules now. Would it? That is what we have going on in the Federal Reserve. It doesn't help you or me. It only helps the banksters and the BIG CORPORATIONS that get the loans from the Federal Reserve for little more than 0%.

Last edited by emilybh; 04-28-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Also regarding things like abortion and Gay Marriage: These aren't things the Federal government should be involved in anyway. They should be, if any government should be involved at all, up to each state to decide.
First off, WHO CARES. If I want to listen to a bunch of hens clucking I would go next door and listen to the ones they have in their chicken coup, besides they are far more interesting to watch. Secondly, while a nice guy Paul has some nutty ideas that in my opinion are enough to write him off a serious possibility for the Whitehouse and most Americans, Repub, Dem and Inde agree.
As for the above, sorry but that will not work, Abortion should either be legal or or not across this entire nation, I prefer the first but the pro-lifers prefer the later so they can chip away at the issue, it is obvious by the way. Same holds true for Gay Marriage, they are married in one state and not another, LUDICROUS thinking at it's finest, besides we are also talking about the benefits of marriage such as the legal rights married hetrosexuals enjoy along with Federal benefits such as SS. It is illogical to have laws on these issues that differ from state to state and anyone with a bit of common sense would know that, that is unless they have an agenda. Why not settle the issue once and for all allow the American Voters descide, oh I know why those that oppose the above mentioned issues are afraid of a National vote and I know why, they would lose.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies