Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I just heard a short news item:

26% of (US) renters are paying more than half their pre-tax income for housing (rent plus utilities). This is the highest in over 50 years.

I have been predicting an "affordable housing crisis" of unprecedented proportions, although I thought that was about 3-5 years out from today, so it's getting worse faster than I expected.

Renters tend to be lower income; median renter income is about 40% of median homeowner income.

Some people in this forum have suggested that poor and low income Americans aren't paying enough taxes.

In the context of the high housing costs they face (see above), this is a good place to ask:

Exactly how much should lower income Americans pay in taxes?
1. A lot of these people should have roomates but don't want to. Tough luck. Amazing how many debt strapped kids there are out there that can't put on their adult pants and do without what they WANT.

2. You seem to be limiting the "taxes" to just federal income which IMO is wrong. Inclusion of sales, direct or indirect property taxes etc. are a big part of the equation too.

Example: You live in chicago making 30k a year...you are paying a TON of tax to the city in the form of sales (highest in country) and property taxes. In some areas the "rent" is so high because it includes huge hidden property taxes. I would LAUGH my butt off if they had to segment out what portion of an $800 rent was property tax in Chicago....but the politicians would never allow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I really don't feel that bad.

I am 25 years old and lived with two roommates until a year ago. We shared an apartment so crappy that we felt a breeze through the outlets that were on outside walls. We couldn't run the microwave and a space heater at the same time without blowing a fuse, but I lived like that for five years and saved up enough money to buy my own house.

If I rented a nice place right away I would be on this statistic too. Suck it up and do what you have to do to take care of yourself.

I had two rules when I graduated:

1. Never take a donation from anyone
2. Never move back in with my parents

And I did what I had to so I could keep from breaking those rules.

Last edited by hnsq; 04-26-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Is there a link you can provide?
"About 26 percent of renters — or 10.1 million people — spent more than half their pre-tax household income on rent and utilities in 2009. That’s because incomes slipped dramatically from their peak at the start of the decade even as rents kept rising."
Affordable rental housing scarce in U.S., study finds - The Washington Post

related: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122006525.html

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In the early 90's I had 3 roomates so I'd have enough money to save up for my own house, pay off my student loans, having no car and so on.

Seems like a lot of 18-26 crowd would rather stay poor all their lives while drowning in debt with new cars, nice apts and the latest toys. Good luck with that, it's a free country.
I paid $550 a month plus utilities sharing a room. 4 guys 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. It depends on where you live. The coasts are more expensive. I got in state tuition so it was cheaper than moving out of state to a comparably ranked school.

The 18 to 26 crowd pays A HELL of a LOT more in tuition than in the 1990s btw. We aren't all drowning in debt because of penthouses and BMWs.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. A lot of these people should have roomates but don't want to. Tough luck. Amazing how many debt strapped kids there are out there that can't put on their adult pants and do without what they WANT.
We don't know what percentage have roommates or not.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They should pay whatever the market requires. If they can't pay it, rates will go down when landlords can't get renters.

If the gov't stays out of it, it'll level out. If they keep meddling with it, they'll keep it unnecessarily high--causing further damage.

The question is how much should they pay in TAXES. I'm taking the market rents as a given,

Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, but where are they living?

Odds are they are living in houses that are to big, and have higher utility bills then their income would warrant spending for.

Now I'm not saying that poor folks don't have a hard row to hoe, but such a vague statistic as the one posted in the OP needs more explanation. I personally believe that all income below 30K for every person should be tax exempt. But I can live really good on 30K in some areas of the country. Its just a matter of how much rent I want to pay.

Many of these folks can find affordable rent, and simply choose not to do so.

I don't think so...most renters do not live in houses. The ones that do live in houses are usually families or are several individuals sharing a house. I live in a 1,200 sf house with four other people. The guy I'm renting from has 500 sf all to himself and the rest of us have single rooms of about 100 sf each.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Is there a link you can provide?

I heard this on the radio, but since you asked, I looked it up and found these:

Calculated Risk blog:

Calculated Risk: Study: 26 percent of renters spend over half their income on housing

...which cited...

Washington Post:

From Dina ElBoghdady at the WaPo: Affordable rental housing scarce in U.S., study finds

Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't think so...most renters do not live in houses. The ones that do live in houses are usually families or are several individuals sharing a house. I live in a 1,200 sf house with four other people. The guy I'm renting from has 500 sf all to himself and the rest of us have single rooms of about 100 sf each.
Proof?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They should pay whatever the market requires. If they can't pay it, rates will go down when landlords can't get renters.

If the gov't stays out of it, it'll level out. If they keep meddling with it, they'll keep it unnecessarily high--causing further damage.
It's the government that keeps the rents sky high around here. With the very generous Section 8 subsidies for housing, it's made it possible for slum lords to make a killing on rent.

If you took the government out if it, rents would drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies