Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Neither did I. And I had a guaranteed student loan. I went to my local bank, the one my parents had banked with for years. I applied for the loan. The bank then issued me the funds. They sold the note to a clearinghouse. A different bank bought the note. I paid that bank back. So much for your "fail" remark. It would seem that you are the one failing, failing to make your argument.
Was that loan subsidized or unsubsidized while you were in school? If it was subsidized and the government paid the interest while you were in school, then you did receive government money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Don't be a wise ass here. I never stated this..

I wrote that since the taxpayers pay for the business transaction as provided in the FOIL literature, we are entitled to see the paperwork inovolved there I am not even pushing for grades oir academic record, I could care less, but I merely want the loan and grant applications.

Try and keep up here, please.
First, I'm about 8 years younger than the president, so perhaps it was different when he was in school. But in terms of government education grants, there generally is no specific application other than the FAFSA -- based on the information on the FAFSA and the amount of aid the school has been allotted, students are awarded grant monies. The FAFSA and student loan applications, of course, as many personal finance-specific questions. How is that information not personal and, therefore, subject to privacy?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The bottom line is that certain types of people will never allow their egos to accept that a African American person is smarter, wealthier, more accomplished, better looking, etc than they are.....this all goes back to the belief that White is supposed to be "superior". Yet these certain types of people will never take a long look in the mirror and acknowledge how deeply their personal racial prejudices are influencing the hsit that they spew about President Obama.
I never judge anyone by the color of their skin. I judge by their intellect and actions based upon same. In my observations, I personally judge Obama as low intellect based upon his terrible judgment resulting is horrific and usually unconstitutional actions.

As for the birth certificate finally brought forth...to me that just goes to prove that BO is always very, very late in any action and then it is usually the wrong action. Because he did not immediately bring this document forward, I will always wonder "why" he delayed. There will always be a question in my mind about "is it real." How stupid was it to not bring this forth immediately...on the other hand, how long does it take to find, fill out and print one down the line, eh? !!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Was that loan subsidized or unsubsidized while you were in school? If it was subsidized and the government paid the interest while you were in school, then you did receive government money.
Interest was deferred until I graduated. Then I paid interest and principal. So, no, I did not receive government money.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
How stupid was it to not bring this forth immediately...on the other hand, how long does it take to find, fill out and print one down the line, eh? !!
Given that Hawaii law doesn't allow for the release of the long form, and in this case the state had to grant a waiver at the president's request, thus placing the president above the law, I wonder how stupid you think that is? Any other time I bet you like to claim that politicians are not above the law.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
True. They'll go back to the good ol' boys. How'd that work out the last time??
Bad, but not nearly as bad as the Master of Inexperience we have running things now. Had the Republicans been in charge again, things would have continued to slowly get worse, and the debt would have grown more slowly. Instead we got Bush on steroids: foreign wars multiplied and expanded, entitlements expanded even more than Bush's senior Rx drug benefit, government borrowing and spending to the point where foreign investors pulled out and now our own Fed "buys" our own debt by printing dollars with nothing behind them, and a population starting to realize that things won't turn around until someone in power does something different.

The economy will never recover when business leaders know massive increases in taxes are coming, but they no idea WHERE and HOW they'll be imposed. As long as BO is in power, there is no predictability in tax policy, and business will not invest in things that spur growth. Instead, they will continue to move American dollars into other currencies that are NOT being devalued as quickly as possible, and into foreign economies whose governments seek growth instead of class warfare.

The point is that NEITHER the Repubs nor the Dems are going to do anything different. Unless you think insane government spending and borrowing, constant senseless foreign wars, dollar devaluation of the wages you get paid, massively higher taxes, an economy with no "engine" since we let China and India do our manufacturing, no Middle Class since wages stopped growing in the 1970s, and increasing concentration of wealth in the top 1/1 millionth of 1% is the best path for America, you'll VOTE LIBERTARIAN.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
First, I'm about 8 years younger than the president, so perhaps it was different when he was in school. But in terms of government education grants, there generally is no specific application other than the FAFSA -- based on the information on the FAFSA and the amount of aid the school has been allotted, students are awarded grant monies. The FAFSA and student loan applications, of course, as many personal finance-specific questions. How is that information not personal and, therefore, subject to privacy?
Because it is not specifically stated in the FOIL guidelines. When you take money from the government, such as food stamps, the government can come in an audit you to see what you are doing with that "money".

If you don't want your personal finance subject to US taxpayer scurtiny, then don't take the money, because then it is truly private. Otherwise, when you take money from the government, you should expect to be accountable for it. This includes the examination of grant applications and government student loans that are now made directly from the government to the student, eliminating the private bank middleman.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
When you take money from the government, such as food stamps, the government can come in an audit you to see what you are doing with that "money".
Of course. That doesn't mean that YOU are entitled to the information.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
McCain had cancer. Obama didn't. But I don't remember anyone asking for McCain's "medical file", which I don't know the definition of anyway. Here is an article about McCain from the campaign period; it deals mostly with his mental health.

Release of McCain's Medical Records Provides Unusually Broad Psychological Profile - New York Times
You have made the claim several times,". But I don't remember anyone asking for McCain's "medical file".

It didn't take much effort. This but one article and it is from the Democrat underground no less.

"Pressure is mounting anew for full disclosure of John McCain's medical records,including psychiatric records, as a matter of the public's right to know".
Democratic Underground - Fit to Serve? Demand Full Disclosure of McCain Medical and Psychiatric Records Now! - Democratic Underground

Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You have made the claim several times,". But I don't remember anyone asking for McCain's "medical file".

It didn't take much effort. This but one article and it is from the Democrat underground no less.

"Pressure is mounting anew for full disclosure of John McCain's medical records,including psychiatric records, as a matter of the public's right to know".
Democratic Underground - Fit to Serve? Demand Full Disclosure of McCain Medical and Psychiatric Records Now! - Democratic Underground
The reason why one candidate might have a voluminous medical file, and the other have a very brief medical file, might be related to the health of the candidates in question. McCain's age and well-known health problems merited a large and lengthy medical file. Obama is considerably younger, and has considerably fewer medical issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies