Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Actually, that's not true anymore. The competition is fierce and there are so many students with excellent grades and SAT scores who are applying for limited slots. I have known kids with nearly perfect SAT scores and a 4.0 GPA with lots of advanced placement credits who were denied admission to the Ivies. Being a desired minority (in other words, NOT Jewish and NOT Asian, but something else) would tip the balance in favor of admission, but likely only if the admission criteria is also met.
Admissions panels are looking for well-rounded and intelligent students not just an NHS AP 4.0 with the social skills of a potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Admissions panels are looking for well-rounded and intelligent students not just an NHS AP 4.0 with the social skills of a potato.
This is true. And even more than that they are looking for is a well-rounded and intelligent student body. Within that, variety is essential.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is another sore point - obama's records are locked up tight, have never been seen - transcripts, applications, scholarships.

The Donald is giving voice to what many people have wondered in the past, but it would never get any traction because the media was culpable in allowing him to hide his records. The Donald is giving them no choice now.

Donald Trump: How did Barack Obama get into Ivies? - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Questions that should have been answered years ago, but the media shielded obama.
Affirmative Racism.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Affirmative Racism.
Totally. There's no way a black person could be smart enough or hard working enough to get into an Ivy League school on his own merit.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Actually, that's not true anymore. The competition is fierce and there are so many students with excellent grades and SAT scores who are applying for limited slots. I have known kids with nearly perfect SAT scores and a 4.0 GPA with lots of advanced placement credits who were denied admission to the Ivies. Being a desired minority (in other words, NOT Jewish and NOT Asian, but something else) would tip the balance in favor of admission, but likely only if the admission criteria is also met.
You don't need a nearly perfect SAT and GPA. And those two things alone are not enough to get you in since tons of people have that credential. You need some meaningful long term extracurricular activities with demonstration of leadership + a pretty good SAT/GPA. I got into all Ivys except waitlisted at one and I am not a desired minority. Ended up not going to any of them cuz really, an Ivy League name doesn't matter. I do not think people need to go to extreme means to get in... mostly consistency.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
It could be hypothesized that he may have been rejected to some of the Ivy's since Columbia is probably not the most desirable. I agree with the notion that most schools also look at potential and extracurricular rather than just scores and grades. I would think that some of those Ivy's regret rejecting a future President of the United States.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh really? Since when is that the standard? Obama was/is a smoker, was at the time, but the Left was perfectly happy with a one-page summary by his doctor telling us all he was in good health.

That wouldn't suffice for McCain though, would it. No less than his full 1000+ page medical was sufficient for the Left.
Obama was a smoker. Great, you've listed one risk factor.

Are you ready to list all of McCain's health problems?

One health issue, takes up one page.

A lifetime of health issues, numerous tests and procedures, takes up volumes.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Trump's just mad Harvard admitted the uppity black guy. Trump may have been rejected and it hurts to find that Harvard doesn't admit Egomaniacs.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
You don't need a nearly perfect SAT and GPA. And those two things alone are not enough to get you in since tons of people have that credential. You need some meaningful long term extracurricular activities with demonstration of leadership + a pretty good SAT/GPA. I got into all Ivys except waitlisted at one and I am not a desired minority. Ended up not going to any of them cuz really, an Ivy League name doesn't matter. I do not think people need to go to extreme means to get in... mostly consistency.
OK, I know we're OT here, but I need to share this. The valedictorian of my daughter's graduating HS class (2002) had a perfect SAT and numerous activities, leadership, etc. He didn't get in to Harvard. He went to Stanford instead and never looked back. Harvard gets a lot of qualified applicants and can pick and choose.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I know we're OT here, but I need to share this. The valedictorian of my daughter's graduating HS class (2002) had a perfect SAT and numerous activities, leadership, etc. He didn't get in to Harvard. He went to Stanford instead and never looked back. Harvard gets a lot of qualified applicants and can pick and choose.
I have to agree with miyu. There are lots of different factors in the selection process. I'm not a minority but I graduated from an Arkansas high school, and didn't have any problem being accepted at Ivy League schools, including Harvard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies