Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Admissions panels are looking for well-rounded and intelligent students not just an NHS AP 4.0 with the social skills of a potato.
How do you know what anyone's social skills are? How does the admissions board? Why so haughty when you really don't even know what you're talking about? The truth is that there are many more talented and well-rounded students than there are positions available in the Ivy League schools. Perfectly outstanding students are going to be turned away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The fact a person would assume or question person's qualifications based on the fact he or she is a Black American is sign of bias, pure, plain and simple.

Affirmative Action doesn't have damn thing to do with graduating from Harvard Law School magna *** laude.
Disagree with your first statement -- given the number of Affirmative Action disasters, it is perfectly reasonable to question whether a black person was admitted to an Ivy based on Affirmative Action BIAS.

Agree with your second statement -- regardless of whether Obama was favored during the admissions process, he proved himself in the end.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
How do you know what anyone's social skills are? How does the admissions board? Why so haughty when you really don't even know what you're talking about? The truth is that there are many more talented and well-rounded students than there are positions available in the Ivy League schools. Perfectly outstanding students are going to be turned away.
I agree that there are many more talented and well-rounded students than positions available, but I think the admissions boards at most of the top-tier schools do an excellent job of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of applicants. I remember when I was applying, that I was on the phone for hours speaking to various admissions' officers. They weren't just calling to tell me how great their school was, they were calling to screen me, a potential student at the school.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
President Obama graduated magna *** laude from Harvard. Anyone questioning his academics is quite laughable.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree that there are many more talented and well-rounded students than positions available, but I think the admissions boards at most of the top-tier schools do an excellent job of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of applicants. I remember when I was applying, that I was on the phone for hours speaking to various admissions' officers. They weren't just calling to tell me how great their school was, they were calling to screen me, a potential student at the school.
I hear what you're saying, but in the end, there are still only so many spaces. The guy I know who did not get in to Harvard is not an anti-social nerd. They just weren't looking for "nice Jewish boys from Colorado who were valedictorians with perfect SATs and tons of leadership activities" that year.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I hear what you're saying, but in the end, there are still only so many spaces. The guy I know who did not get in to Harvard is not an anti-social nerd. They just weren't looking for "nice Jewish boys from Colorado who were valedictorians with perfect SATs and tons of leadership activities" that year.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. What they are looking for changes from year to year, and a lot of the screening process is highly subjective rather than objective. But I think that even the subjective screening is valid in that the admissions process is actually a reflection of the school. Each school is unique, they have distinct personalities. Schools express their personalities in their recruiting literature, as well as in many other ways. That's why the choice of where to go to college is such a personal one, it's not just about the best school, but about the best fit as well. And when it's about best fit, the school also has a perspective.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
He got in the same way most got in....hard work.

Unless your last name is Bush....then you get in because your parents throw a lot of money at the school.

FYI beinhg elected to hed Harvard Law Review was a huge accomplishment, any attorney will tell you that.....

First Black Elected to Head Harvard's Law Review - NYTimes.com
One could also ask...what was Trump doing at age 21 certainly not writing for law review.

Funny how the OP supports palin, a hack who took 8 years to get a mere bachelors degree (looking for a husband degree/communications)...yet critiques Obamas academic record.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
The term "scraping the bottom of the barrel" comes to mind when we now listen to Trump trying to find something that will put Obama down.
Trump is ALL that is bad in America and should keep his big racist mouth shut. He stood there yesterday saying how proud he was that HE made Obama show his birth certificate and plugging his tv show. Trump is sooooo jelous of Obama...... its killing him that a black guy is President and he isn't.
Just goes to show that even Morons can make a lot of money in the property market..... Even though he was bankrupt a few times.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what is going on View Post
Trump said its not even one percent of his net worth. So once again the people who could afford to pay their debts do not. What a country
It's OK if you have people earning pennies getting you your fortune and having the tax breaks to keep it in your bank. Everyday Americans work hard for their families and still pay full tax...... unlike G E who were crying that their earnings had gone down and then payed ZERO tax in the USA last year...... my heart bleeds for them.......NOT

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is another sore point - obama's records are locked up tight, have never been seen - transcripts, applications, scholarships.

The Donald is giving voice to what many people have wondered in the past, but it would never get any traction because the media was culpable in allowing him to hide his records. The Donald is giving them no choice now.

Donald Trump: How did Barack Obama get into Ivies? - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Questions that should have been answered years ago, but the media shielded obama.
Who cares? Last time I checked, there's nothing that states that you have to be smart or maintain a certain GPA to become POTUS. The man won an election over two years ago. Accept it, deal with it, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies