Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You are also doing the same thing as the OP, by claiming that liberals have no scientific background.

The truth is that human beings are riddled with 'cognitive biases.' The politics & OC forum is like a laboratory of various cognitive biases.
List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite one, and the one I think best describes the OP, is 'confirmation bias'.
Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See Post #28.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
See Post #28.
NY Times shut me out of their system, but I remember that as a very good article from a few months back.

I agree with you. The fact that Mother Jones' article considered PhD's and academians to be the baseline of what constitutes the "correct" version of social science -- rather than, say, scientists from the private sector -- was a key consideration behind my statement that this article was a biased attempt at persuasion.

All they really told me is that conservatives are skeptical of traditionally liberal sources of information, regardless of the credentials.

Maybe next they should see if the majority of liberals believe in the scientific studies BP conducted in the gulf where it was concluded that "all is well" after the recent oil spill. When they inevitably show skepticism of the source (rightfully so, of course), would they be branded "Anti-science" ?

Last edited by le roi; 04-27-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Science is a methodology.

Science is at best a proclaimation of momentary truth.

Science is dynamic and requires challenge and change to exist. Classic case of abandoning/ slaying science, was the Human caused global warming crowd who proclaimed the scientific discussion is over. Monstrous RED FLAG!!!!!! Run Bambi, run!

Science and its companion statistics can be manipulated and used for partisan agendas and has a long sordid history of such use. Generally accepted scientific conclusions can be wrong. Earth the center of the universe, myasmic theory of bad odors causing disease, the government food pyramid, on an on. Blood letting has been proposed as the actual cause of death of Lincoln. Bacteria cause infection!? Well shut my mouth!

Wielding science as a political warclub while assuming a common belief among a defined group of people is a demonstration of the basics that breathe life into racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies