Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times

Advertisements

All this proves is that meritocracy has finally won. Women traditionally do better in their K-12 studies but had to contend with childrearing/family duties in the past. Now that traditional gender roles are no longer an issue, women are allowed to excel, especially in medicine, science, and technology. My college didn't even admit women decades ago, to give you an idea of the inequities that women faced in the past.

Amazing how many woman-hating stereotypes are prevalent here. But it is probably due to lack of education, so can't blame those of you men who don't know better and have never met hoards of well-educated, well-adjusted, happy family-oriented career women who seek the company of men (who are of the same caliber).

Any scholarship I received was based on merit, not gender or race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:56 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
What will happen is that men will become a permanent underclass & will eventually be like blacks as a whole were in the 1950's both socially and ecnomically.

Traditionally love isn't based on income but our current society is geared around certain things and character and being a overall good person isn't on of them. The marriage rates are are given example of that and speaking of blacks this is another example of the frustration black men go through since a good amount are poor these fellas are single and usually lack companionship which leads to anger. Until the "I'm better than you because I have multiple degrees in fill in the blank " I really think all hope is lost.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Considering that most of the work being done by college graduates is one form of housekeeping or another I think the bureaucracies should be run by women. That would leave most men sitting around drinking beer and watching sports on the big screen instead of going out and getting us into wars to feed their machoness.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Amazing how many woman-hating stereotypes are prevalent here.
i was thinking how it is amazing that when men fail and women succeed, i'm told that this is a sign of progress.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Fine, her "acquaintance" isn't measuring up to her own gender. Especially since it's been revealed that her "acquaintance" pursued a degree in computer science, which opened her "acquaintance" to a whole boatload of other specific grants and scholarships for attempting to attain a degree in an industry dominated by one gender (yes, such grants exist, and for comp sci - I know, because it's in my field and I've known plenty of women who have taken advantage of these). If her "acquaintance" couldn't get any money with allllllllll of these things going in her favor, then the problem wasn't with the system giving out the money, it was with the requestor.
Get off her case. Period.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get off her case. Period.
sorry, Katiana, this isn't your classroom. Besides, she made the choice to put her daughter's story out there, so as far as I'm concerned it is fair game for criticism.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
All this proves is that meritocracy has finally won. Women traditionally do better in their K-12 studies but had to contend with childrearing/family duties in the past. Now that traditional gender roles are no longer an issue, women are allowed to excel, especially in medicine, science, and technology. My college didn't even admit women decades ago, to give you an idea of the inequities that women faced in the past.

Amazing how many woman-hating stereotypes are prevalent here. But it is probably due to lack of education, so can't blame those of you men who don't know better and have never met hoards of well-educated, well-adjusted, happy family-oriented career women who seek the company of men (who are of the same caliber).

Any scholarship I received was based on merit, not gender or race.
Oh no lady trust me you are very wrong! I've met PLENTY of career oriented, well educated women......and you know what? Their kids are an utter mess...........spoiled, unhealthy, stressed out, into drugs, promiscuous sex, head buried in their cell phones without an ounce of being able to carry on a conversation with anyone except their keyboard or touch screen. Trust me Orange County has PLENTY of these types of moms and most are more into their career, their body, and their image than they are into raising their kids. And my god some of the most dysfunctional families I know have TWO parents that are highly successful career oriented people.

All you have to do is look at our culture and young people to see how great it is that more and more women are entering the workforce.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Men have far more opportunities for work that do not involve degrees.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
All you have to do is look at our culture and young people to see how great it is that more and more women are entering the workforce.

I don't know if that is too accurate. If anything mothers are not to blame. The blame would be on fathers because they are the ones who would normally beat the crap() out of their children for misbehaving. So the blame would mostly on dads for not beating their kids anymore. That is a larger reason for why kids are the way they are. Aside from the fact that kids have always been wild.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Men have far more opportunities for work that do not involve degrees.

America's jobless men: Decline of the working man | The Economist

^ these folks disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies