U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM

635 posts, read 2,501,105 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying when I turned 18 (in 2003), I was very enthusiastic to start voting. I had great hopes of those elected political to solve problems facing the United States. I had great that vision that United States would become a better place to live as each year passes. Boy did I have an impossible dream!

Obama turned out be fairly major failure and I am sorry that I voted for him. The tea party people haven't done much either. And yes I have votes for tea party candidates (Debra Medina), libertarians and 3rd party types before.

I have realized recently Republicans, Democrats, or anyone else make a big mess out of anything. I sincerely can't think of any major problem they have managed to solve in last 8 years. The politicians just make nice promises to get votes and then turn to lobbyist to become rich it seems.

I really do think I have wasting my time to go out and vote. Instead of looking to government to fix anything, I just except them to make it worse or do nothing. Next election maybe I will try ignore them and skip voting, that may make me feel better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM

28,986 posts, read 15,548,163 times
That's why you should vote Libertarian. The Reps and Dems are destroying America. Both parties support a huge and powerful government that takes our money, wastes our money and then has the audacity to tell us how to live our lives.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM

1,531 posts, read 971,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Let me start by saying when I turned 18 (in 2003), I was very enthusiastic to start voting. I had great hopes of those elected political to solve problems facing the United States. I had great that vision that United States would become a better place to live as each year passes. Boy did I have an impossible dream!

Obama turned out be fairly major failure and I am sorry that I voted for him. The tea party people haven't done much either. And yes I have votes for tea party candidates (Debra Medina), libertarians and 3rd party types before.

I have realized recently Republicans, Democrats, or anyone else make a big mess out of anything. I sincerely can't think of any major problem they have managed to solve in last 8 years. The politicians just make nice promises to get votes and then turn to lobbyist to become rich it seems.

I really do think I have wasting my time to go out and vote. Instead of looking to government to fix anything, I just except them to make it worse or do nothing. Next election maybe I will try ignore them and skip voting, that may make me feel better!
...would you like a little cheese to go with your whine...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,136,036 times
Quote:

I made the mistake of voting for him but I'm throwing my weight in with Ron Paul and/or Gary Johnson. Say no to mainstream pols, say yes to Libertarians

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,338,581 times
Completely disillusion with Gov/Politcians to fix anything! Voting seems useless!

Learn about the intent of the various parties. Decide which will take the function of government in the direction you think government should work. Don't vote a straight ticket but decide how your choice of candidate will function within his/her capacity.

I vote more conservative for federal candidates, the intent being a reduced federal government.
I vote more liberal for state offices, the intent being the state is the agency which should administer my needed services.
Local elections may not have party aligned candidates so you have to listen to the candidate, determine if that person is suitable for your city, county, sheriff or other office.

I rarely vote for an incumbent.

Your vote counts. Be sure to vote in your state's primary election. Attend your precinct meeting, get involved.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,030,079 times
Quote:

It is because of the corrupting influence of money into political campaigns.

Our pols now have to have huge sums of money to run for office.

Check out Citizens United court ruling.... 5 to 4 vote ruling to allow even more money into campaigns, and to strip away campaign finance reform laws.

That 5 is the republicans on the court...Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, Alito, Kennedy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us.../22scotus.html

Vote, even if you leave the space blank. Let them know you showed up.

Vote and ask your pols what are they prepared to do about the corrupting influence of corporate money in our campaigns.

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then read this:
It is Time For Congress to Impeach Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia

Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM

26,747 posts, read 14,986,234 times
As has been said,vote Libetarian whenever possible.
Nullification may be Americas last hope.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,168,683 times
Unless you vote Libertarian, then yes your vote is wasted. There is little to no distinguishable difference between either of the two establishment insurgent political parties. Both are slaves to the Fed. Both will perpetuate wars of agression, in the name of national security, to prop up an empire built on corporate welfare. All the while using the profits to gain access to even more of your private life. It is a sickening system that will only get worse before it gets better.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,986,524 times
Quote:

More and more and more of us are thinking this way
we have to move away from the two parties.
Its sickening. I too voted for Obama and believe he was the lessor of two evils. and was very pumped up for the change.
drank the poison as they say

dont get me wrong i think obama was handed a mess
i remember thinking to myself when he was elected... He is screwed no matter what happens.

in the meantime i think he did some good things and some things i just see a different mask on the same character.

the only thing that is ever the same is the bull crap that comes out of all their mouths.

I really dont know what to do this next election.
vote at the local levels and for your congress person and senate

in the mean time all of us are getting royally sucker punched on a daily basis

Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM

28,986 posts, read 15,548,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
It is because of the corrupting influence of money into political campaigns.

Our pols now have to have huge sums of money to run for office.

Check out Citizens United court ruling.... 5 to 4 vote ruling to allow even more money into campaigns, and to strip away campaign finance reform laws.

That court ruling changed nothing. I've been watching elections for decades and big money has always been there.

This is nothing new.

Campaign "finance reform" is like lipstick on a pig. It has not changed anything.

We should totally eliminate all campaign financing laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies