Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel now that Obama has released his long form birth certificate?
I WAS and birther, I am convinced and I am ready to move on. 4 2.22%
I am still a birther and will just look for something new to complain about. 6 3.33%
I was never really a birther but I will continue to aggitate because it is fun to watch. 16 8.89%
I was not a birther and I was already convinced. 154 85.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times

Advertisements

for those who were following polls........

Poll: Number of ‘birthers’ plummets - Behind the Numbers - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
Does that mean our work is done here?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Does that mean our work is done here?
good question. dunno.

i think to some degree there will always be a small fringe group that believe obama is/was ineligible, just as there is for any other conspiracy theory. i'm curious to see tho if the birthers rise again as we get closer to the 2012 election and the news of bin laden and the long-form BC subside.

we shall see.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Jeff, where in Duncan v. Louisiana does Justice Black defines or even mention natural born citizen? I have taken the time to read his opinion and I think you are lying. My reading of the opinion is that it is about the right to a jury, states' rights vs federal rights and has ZERO to do with citizenship.

Either support your claims or apologize.

As far as your claim that someone born on American soil isn't AUTOMATICALLY a natural born citizen, you might want to research the term "Anchor baby". I think once you understand that term a little light will go on in your head and you will realize that the citizenship of EITHER of Obama's parents doesn't matter.

Quote:
Under United States law, any person born within the United States (including the territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands)[1] and subject to its jurisdiction is automatically granted U.S. citizenship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthri..._United_States

In the case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898), the Supreme Court ruled that a person becomes a citizen of the United States at the time of birth, that the American citizenship which Wong Kim Ark acquired by birth within the United States has not been lost or taken away by anything happening since his birth, by virtue of the first clause of the 14th Amendment, if that person is:
  • Born in the United States
  • Has parents that are subjects of a foreign power, but not in any diplomatic or official capacity of that foreign power
  • Has parents that have permanent domicile and residence in the United States
  • Has parents that are in the United States for business

Last edited by buzzards27; 05-06-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Jeff, where in Duncan v. Louisiana does Justice Black defines or even mention natural born citizen? I have taken the time to read his opinion and I think you are lying.
curious myself about this. it almost seems like jeffington just randomly picked a supreme court case.

i haven't read the whole case but from what i've seen there would be no need for a NBC definition. if the term is used in the case by justice black it will be interesting to see in what context.

jeffington?

Old 05-06-2011, 03:10 PM

LOL, I found it wrecking ball, the birthers have been relying on Black and this unrelated Duncan ruling to redefine natural born citizen. Because Justice Black said you should rely on the words and thoughts of the writer of a law to devine what they thought when they wrote the law. We should now devine what NBC means based on what the writer of the amendment said in a unrelated debate of the floor. LOL, they are trying to use words used in a debate on the floor to define NBC.

Part of Black OPINION:
Quote:
I know from my years in the United States Senate that it is to men like Congressman Bingham, who steered the Amendment through the House, and Senator Howard, who introduced it in the Senate, that members of Congress look when they seek the real meaning of what is being offered. And they vote for or against a bill based on what the sponsors of that bill and those who oppose it tell them it means.
so now ANYTHING Bingham said on the matter become settled law. Justice Black gave Congressman Bingham this heretofore special super-secret power to write law in floor debates.

Justice Hugo Black in DUNCAN v LOUISIANA Indicates Obama Would Not Be Eligible: Ineligibility Echoed by Former Attorney General Jeremiah Black « Natural Born Citizen

I love this quote from the blogger:
Quote:
And when an issue this important comes before the nation on the floor of “the people’s House”, and the issue is not challenged by any Representative of the people, then it’s certainly proper to infer that the House of Representatives, as a whole, agreed with that definition.
hey, nobody said otherwise, so it become law by default. If it is said on the house floor and nobody stood up and challenged it, it becomes the law. Watch out for what they say in the one minute morning speeches from now on.
completely ridiculous...

Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:

hey, nobody said otherwise, so it become law by default.
i'll have to remember that next time i'm watching c-span in the middle of the night.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM

talk about those "activist" judges rewriting the constitution, now we have to worry about EVERY unchallenged word that gets spoken on the floor of congress.... let's not forget their, "i reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks" LOL we have officially moved into bizarro world
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i'll have to remember that next time i'm watching c-span in the middle of the night.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
talk about those "activist" judges rewriting the constitution, now we have to worry about EVERY unchallenged word that gets spoken on the floor of congress.... let's not forget their, "i reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks" LOL we have officially moved into bizarro world
Especially if they are not intended to be factual statements.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,658 times
Default How authentic is Obama's certificate..... in a totally fake world ?

Why do they keep ranting about Obama's
birth certificate ? Does it really matter at
this point. So what can we do about it !
For Petes sake , it's the government. They
can do what ever they want .....
Youtube and other articles on the web
justify it's " lack " of authenticity .
[URL]http://www.whocareswhatisay.com/?id=647[/URL]
So what's the problem ?
The problem is we can't even trust
our government.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies