Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

I just heard a short news item:

26% of (US) renters are paying more than half their pre-tax income for housing (rent plus utilities). This is the highest in over 50 years.

I have been predicting an "affordable housing crisis" of unprecedented proportions, although I thought that was about 3-5 years out from today, so it's getting worse faster than I expected.

Renters tend to be lower income; median renter income is about 40% of median homeowner income.

Some people in this forum have suggested that poor and low income Americans aren't paying enough taxes.

In the context of the high housing costs they face (see above), this is a good place to ask:

Exactly how much should lower income Americans pay in taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
The days of living alone in an apartment are over. The 18-26 crowd are going to have to find a roomie or get married.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

26% of (US) renters are paying more than half their pre-tax income for housing (rent plus utilities). This is the highest in over 50 years.

I have been predicting an "affordable housing crisis" of unprecedented proportions, although I thought that was about 3-5 years out from today, so it's getting worse faster than I expected.

Renters tend to be lower income; median renter income is about 40% of median homeowner income.

Some people in this forum have suggested that poor and low income Americans aren't paying enough taxes.

In the context of the high housing costs they face (see above), this is a good place to ask:

In Michigan they can file to get a share of it back in refundable credits and home heating credits.

Just like property taxes.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:

They should pay whatever the market requires. If they can't pay it, rates will go down when landlords can't get renters.

If the gov't stays out of it, it'll level out. If they keep meddling with it, they'll keep it unnecessarily high--causing further damage.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:

Yes, but where are they living?

Odds are they are living in houses that are to big, and have higher utility bills then their income would warrant spending for.

Now I'm not saying that poor folks don't have a hard row to hoe, but such a vague statistic as the one posted in the OP needs more explanation. I personally believe that all income below 30K for every person should be tax exempt. But I can live really good on 30K in some areas of the country. Its just a matter of how much rent I want to pay.

Many of these folks can find affordable rent, and simply choose not to do so.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Is there a link you can provide?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
In the 1970's, when I got out of the army, I was in the same situation. I had a roomate for about 4 years. He had gotten out of the army at the same time. I would have been independent sooner except for some employment problems (union strike for months, followed by layoffs after our big win!). You have to keep improving your job skills to increase your earnings or move to an area where your income will go futher.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The days of living alone in an apartment are over. The 18-26 crowd are going to have to find a roomie or get married.
In the early 90's I had 3 roomates so I'd have enough money to save up for my own house, pay off my student loans, having no car and so on.

Seems like a lot of 18-26 crowd would rather stay poor all their lives while drowning in debt with new cars, nice apts and the latest toys. Good luck with that, it's a free country.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In Michigan they can file to get a share of it back in refundable credits and home heating credits.

Just like property taxes.

Actually...wow, I just ran the numbers in my head...and the homestead tax credit would actually be impressive. Oh wait...the credit USED to be impressive...I just checked the forms and Michigan's non-homestead property tax changed everything...now I need an accountant to figure out the tax credit.

(Before the non-homestead tax was created, the credit was very easy to calculate, btw it used to be based on 17% of rent, rather than the current 20%.)

The home heating credits are pretty useless to poor people sharing housing with others. I live in a house with four others, nobody has an income above poverty level, and we do not qualify for home heating credits.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
The neo-progs should be glad. In Europe, there are more people living together as groups. Even many families live in the same house. We can become more like them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies