Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,910,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the effects of QEI and QEII coming home to roost.
The dollar is losing it's value while commodity prices have sky rocketed.
Double whammy to all of us.

And the government says "no inflation"..bah
Tell that to Americans who have NO CHOICE in buying energy and food to exist.
The value of the dollar and commodity prices are linked. While the dollar falls, commodities will increase in price to compensate. The dollar will continue to fall as US interest rates are held low. That will exacerbate inflation as commodities and imported goods continue to rise in cost.

This article on the subject is interesting:

How the dollar rout could turn ugly - Street Sweep: Fortune's Wall Street Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The value of the dollar and commodity prices are linked. While the dollar falls, commodities will increase in price to compensate. The dollar will continue to fall as US interest rates are held low. That will exacerbate inflation as commodities and imported goods continue to rise in cost.

This article on the subject is interesting:

How the dollar rout could turn ugly - Street Sweep: Fortune's Wall Street Blog
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post.
I put speculation there in addition to the losing value of the dollar..that makes the double whammy.

There are other factors that spur commodity speculation so you can have both going on at the same time.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,910,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post.
I put speculation there in addition to the losing value of the dollar..that makes the double whammy.

There are other factors that spur commodity speculation so you can have both going on at the same time.
I agree with you

I continue to believe that allowing inflation to rise is deliberate policy.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,271,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I agree with you

I continue to believe that allowing inflation to rise is deliberate policy.
Unpossible!

Tiny Tim told me on the b00b toob yesterday they have a strong dollar policy.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,720,514 times
Its not that people are running out of money, its the psycological effect that the increase of about a dollar per gallon has affected our driving habits (avg was 2.92 for regular this time last year). People are now actually pulling out their calculators out to see if its actually worth the drive to Walmart (or similar big box retailers) or just to go to a local retailer. Remember that Walmart (or similar big box retailers) is a destination store that most have to drive too outside of their commutes. So now people are stopping at stores that are on their commute route instead.

As to BestBuy, its getting losses now because of the lowballing they did over the past 10 years that put numerous competitors out of business. But after they were gone, BestBuy raised their prices. Their stores are having losses but their websites are having gains. Why? Because the website has to compete with online competitors and free shipping. Also take notice the the web prices are not their store prices (the store prices are much higher).

So back to WalMart. People are now figuring out that their rollbacks aren't real. That they raised the prices then had a rollback to a higher price than it was in the first place.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who cares? It aint like Walmart needs the dough. Folks need to stop shopping so damn much anyway.

Last time I checked people do need to eat, wear clothes and repair their houses.....

Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Summer of recovery, baby!

Here's the part I don't understand:

"Wal-Mart shoppers, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck, typically shop in bulk at the beginning of the month when their paychecks come in."

I think most lower income jobs pay by the week, or at least bi-weekly. I've never heard of a low income job paying monthly.

So, are these welfare checks? Are welfare checks distributed monthly?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Wallymart is a good indicator of the lower end of the consumer population.

People cutting back their spending at Neiman Marcus means SQUAT.
But people cutting back their spending at Wallymart means SOMETHING.

You have to look at the bigger picture and see the trend. And the trend isn't saying RECOVERY.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,271,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

"Wal-Mart shoppers, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck, typically shop in bulk at the beginning of the month when their paychecks come in."

I think most lower income jobs pay by the week, or at least bi-weekly. I've never heard of a low income job paying monthly.

Yes, they are most definitely government or welfare checks. Disability, etc.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Food stamps is first day of each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies