Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
why do you build houses with WOOD

in france and europe all houses are in concrete, ciment
and when we had a tornado in 1999 some roof was detroy, but the houses are not vanished.

continue to kill trees, for houses, but don't complain about the houses
What a completely insensitive comment to make in a time of tragedy.
Shame on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Wow I have never seen a tornado in person, it looks scary enough on the small TV screen I can't imagine how terrifying it must be to have one of those monsters bearing down on your house.

What can we do to help? After their corrupt practices were exposed after 9/11 I will not donate to the Red Cross. Is there any other organization out there I can donate to to help our neighbors in need?
Find a church near the area that is helping out. Do a google search by city name + churches and see if you can find one in the area helping out. Chances are any small church in the area that has a building left is helping in some way.

I actually just did a google search on Tuscaloosa churches. I found a few, and shot off an email to what appears to be a larger Evangelical Church, as well as a smaller Baptist church asking what or how they were helping out the victims. Personally, I'd rather send a check directly to the people on the front lines than a national organization.

Last edited by Calvinist; 04-29-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 07:31 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
My first reaction( had i been there) was to try to help out anybody caught in the wreckage of some of those buildings, but then the risk of downed power lines being everywhere got me thinking. Lets get some local groups posted who are helping the victims, I agree that a big national organization won't be the best to send money to. I got a Red Cross letter asking for a donation just yesterday and was going to send them a check. But now I'll wait to see whos doing the most down there and needs it more.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What a completely insensitive comment to make in a time of tragedy.
It's not insensitive.
Look at New Orleans and the Gulf region - they're rebuilding with the SAME technology that could not endure a hurricane before. Worse, that area is prone to termite damage, and rebuilding in wood is an invitation to infestation.

What is shameful, is that the 'system' imposes crappy housing at exorbitant pricing, and the home owners are the victims.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
This was an EF5 that twisted steel, crumbled concrete and tossed about bricks like they were leggos. I really do not believe that it can be suggested with any crediblity that homes in the direct path of this supercell would have survived mostly intact had they been built with materials other than wood frame. I know SIPS makes such a claim but you'll have to show me where the proof is to them standing up to an EF5 in real world conditions.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just wow, what a horrific tragedy.

Tornadoes Cut Path of Destruction - weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/Tornado-cuts-path-of-destruction_2011-04-27 - broken link)

Can you imagine seeing this coming your way?

http://s.imwx.com/img/images/news/ap...cam287x187.jpg
It was unbelievable.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
One of those tornadoes was confirmed an EF5. After seeing the damage paths from both the Greensburg Kansas and Parkersburg Iowa EF5 tornadoes I would think the best place for survival in these would be underground cause concrete structures get thrashed in tornadoes as strong as these as well or better yet, drive outside of their path entirely.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
According to NOAA's National Weather Service, approximately 58% of the tornadoes in any given year occur between the months of April and June. According to the preliminary count by all the National Weather Service local storm reports there have been 685 reported tornadoes just during the month of April. Of course this number includes both duplicates and omissions, so the actual number will vary either up or down, but not by a significant amount. If the trend continues, we are looking at an additional 1,200 to 1,400 possible tornadoes by the end of June, and that will only be 58% of the total number for the year. By the end of 2011 we are conservatively looking at the possibility of having over 2,000 tornadoes.

Source: Storm Prediction Center Monthly and Annual Summaries

Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
My god, there really are no words for the devastation.

Storms kill hundreds, flatten homes across central and southern U.S. - The Washington Post

Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Agreed. I've been in three tornadoes, but nothing on this level for sure. Though I haven't looked at this particular link, I heard this one was on the ground for over an hour. This one most certainly was an EF-5.

My thoughts and prayers to the people involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies