Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

"The Labor Department reports initial jobless claims rose by 25,000 to 429,000 last week. Economists expected they would fall 12,000 to 392,000. New U.S. claims for unemployment benefits surprisingly rose last week to their highest level since January in a sign an anticipated recovery in labor markets may take time, a government report showed on Thursday."

Ya think? Maybe we should put the prognosticating economists on unemployment for being off on their guesses by 37,000.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...-unexpectedly/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
This is just the fuel Bernanke needs for "continued" QE measures

Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
It is because of the storms....or Obama releasing his birth certificate...or the nice weather....or something.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
It is another accomplishment on the account of Obama! More lost jobs....what was it that he stated.....

If we vote for this stimilus package than the unemployment won't go over 8%....OMG...tell that to the people with no job!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,277,309 times
Bush's fault.

That or oil speculators. Or greedy farmers.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is another accomplishment on the account of Obama! More lost jobs....what was it that he stated.....

If we vote for this stimilus package than the unemployment won't go over 8%....OMG...tell that to the people with no job!

I know, not thanks Obama. I knew 2 people last month well now almost 2 months who lost jobs, really sad stuff, one was a bus driver for over 25 years, let go for no reason, no reason at all. Trying to save money i guess and he was a middle aged man. He said to me, the administration says their are jobs out there, he has been looking and looking now for weeks on end. Guess what what jobs. He is middle-aged, depressed, can't make his house payments, does no longer have health insurance, can't afford food, and gas, and the essentials to live.

So if their really are all these great jobs out there Obama, where are they!
The chances of him finding a good job as the one he had, with the benefits, health insurance, pension plan, are probably zilch.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,302 times
Does anyone else here think the economy really hasn't been good since late 2000? Me personally, I think the economy has been down for the last ten years. I see the collapse in 2008 as having been a long time coming.

I appreciate Obama's desire and intent to do something to help. Unfortunately, the cash for clunkers program, the first time home buyer's credit, the green energy credits, etc. were well intentioned, but not a sustainable way to get the economy moving again.

I think Obama viewed these efforts as something akin to applying a brace to an injured knee. That is, to supply some external support while the injured joint (economy) has time to heal. Unfortunately, after the various splints were removed, the knee has not healed and has in fact, further atrophied.....

I'm not saying the Republicans had any better ideas.....

I believe that the only way we'll be able to fix this problem is if We The People raise hell and demand that our government stop spending preciously finite resources on three foreign wars and demand than our government use it's legislative power for the benefit of it's citizens rather than the benefit of it's corporate masters. If we could bring back even half of the jobs we've allowed big business to send overseas in the last 20 years or so, I think this down turn would be an upswing almost overnight.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The Labor Department reports initial jobless claims rose by 25,000 to 429,000 last week. Economists expected they would fall 12,000 to 392,000. New U.S. claims for unemployment benefits surprisingly rose last week to their highest level since January in a sign an anticipated recovery in labor markets may take time, a government report showed on Thursday."

Ya think? Maybe we should put the prognosticating economists on unemployment for being off on their guesses by 37,000.

Initial Jobless Claims Rise Unexpectedly - FoxBusiness.com
Laura and others, did you, by some chance read my posting about this very subject yesterday? Our wonderful gorvenment can say what they want, things are not getting better, they are probably getting worse.

Nita

Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is because of the storms....or Obama releasing his birth certificate...or the nice weather....or something.
The libs will make it all the above. Of course the storms, with the exception maybe of St Louis didn't really hit that much until this week, but they will find a way to work all this in.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies