Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
What a month it's been for our sad-sack president. He was supposed to be riding high by 30Apr.

He was going to impose his will on the repubs 2011 budget continuing resolution.

He was going to make hay over Ryan's 2012 budget.

He was going to whip Gadaffi into line in "days, not weeks", establishing a reputation of competent leadership.

He was going to be taking credit for an economy getting stronger by the day.

And he was going to be doing all these things from a lofty "above-the fray" perch, looking like a real president, and his polls were going to be positive by double digits.

Instead he gets rolled on the 2011 CR, demagogues the 2012 budget debate, has no answer for (and little apparent interest in) the deficit, tells us if we don't like high gas prices we should just trade in our cars, blames the lousy economy on everyone else, lets an amateur pretend-politician maneuver him into releasing his birth records, and his Libya strategy doesn't even make sense to his own Defense Dept. His approval is down to 42 in PA, a state he can't possibly win without.

Another month like this and we'll start seeing "Miss me yet?" billboards from Jimmy Carter...
You have a profound lack of understanding about what he has done and what he intended to do. For example, he never said the military effort would be over in "days, not weeks". He said our lead role would end in that time, which it did.

Our economy is, in fact, getting better. Every expert and fact supports that claim.

The rest you just made up. I don't even know what "make hay" means in a budgetary sense.

Anyway, he's at 45%. That's pretty solid for all we've been through. It's mostly gas prices (which he can't control in the short-term) pulling him down. That's pretty temporary, especially considering they've mostly peaked, and a long way from the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think American's are finally waking up to the fact that we don't have a true Leader in office. Barack Obama is not a man of principle. He's not even a good politician. Some will say compromise is necessary to be POTUS, and I agree with that to an extent. But compromise is not what makes a good leader. A true leader would LEAD based off of the principle that got him elected in the first place. Millions of American's expected more than just rhetoric, and I don't believe Barack Obama understood that when he was running for office. That's because his rhetoric was not deeply rooted in his personal principles. Instead, what we have is a truly unqualified nobody leading based off of zero principle and zero understanding of what the American people want for this country.
Yep, sticking to your guns when you're all out of ammo is a really great ideal, one that is oft-touted in Westerns and war films.

You can keep the heartstrings, I'd rather have a dynamic leader who can adapt to current goings-on. I'm not a fan of Obama, but one of my biggest frustrations with the GOP is that they want to "stay the course" even after it's clear that course is going to lead us straight off a cliff... on principle.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh really?

Got a link to the bill to repeal the Bush tax cuts that got filibustered in the Senate?

I can't seem to find it.

Maybe my google is broken.

Google

Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yep, sticking to your guns when you're all out of ammo is a really great ideal, one that is oft-touted in Westerns and war films.

You can keep the heartstrings, I'd rather have a dynamic leader who can adapt to current goings-on. I'm not a fan of Obama, but one of my biggest frustrations with the GOP is that they want to "stay the course" even after it's clear that course is going to lead us straight off a cliff... on principle.
Having principles and disagreeing with a certain set of principles are two completely separate issues. You may not agree with the principles put forth by the GOP, but you have not identified what principles that Barack Obama exhibits and has followed either. So which is it? You hate GOP principles....or you LOVE Barack Obama's principles? If the latter, tell us what those are. Many of us fail to recognize what they are.

Adapting to "current goings-on" does not a leader make. That's a follower.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Having principles and disagreeing with a certain set of principles are two completely separate issues. You may not agree with the principles put forth by the GOP, but you have not identified what principles that Barack Obama exhibits and has followed either. So which is it? You hate GOP principles....or you LOVE Barack Obama's principles? If the latter, tell us what those are. Many of us fail to recognize what they are.
So bascially: "You're either with us, or against us."

Oh christ, is it 2003 again or something?

I'm not an Obama supporter, I just don't think that he's satan incarnate, a muslim manchurian candidate, etc.

Quote:
No, it's realizing that the only thing that stays the same is change. A good leader can look at what's going on with the country and say, "with this on the table now, maybe we should go about things this way, instead of the way we were going..."

Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You have a profound lack of understanding about what he has done and what he intended to do. For example, he never said the military effort would be over in "days, not weeks". He said our lead role would end in that time, which it did.

Our economy is, in fact, getting better. Every expert and fact supports that claim.

The rest you just made up. I don't even know what "make hay" means in a budgetary sense.

Anyway, he's at 45%. That's pretty solid for all we've been through. It's mostly gas prices (which he can't control in the short-term) pulling him down. That's pretty temporary, especially considering they've mostly peaked, and a long way from the election.

“Days, not weeks,†a senior White House official recalled him saying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/wo.../19policy.html

Initial weekly unemployment claims increased to 412,000, a 27,000 increase in a week. Last week was revised up to 385,000, from 382,000. The 4 week moving average increased to 395,750. We're going backward, the wrong direction for job growth.

Initial weekly unemployment claims for April 9, 2011 | The Economic Populist

Know of any presidents who have been reelected with a 45% approval rating?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:

I'm not an Obama supporter, I just don't think that he's satan incarnate, a muslim manchurian candidate, etc.

No, it's realizing that the only thing that stays the same is change. A good leader can look at what's going on with the country and say, "with this on the table now, maybe we should go about things this way, instead of the way we were going..."
It seems to me you are confusing principles with politics. What you are referring to is politics. In order to get something done in Washington, politics come into play. Principles, on the other hand, act as your personal compass. If you object to something based off of your principles, then politics won't matter. Just because it "can be done" via politics doesn't mean it fits within your principles. I have not seen anything accomplished by this President that was done based off of his principles. The political filter in the President's brain is the only driver of his actions.

You may disagree with GWB's principles, but you won't be able to deny he had principles to begin with.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice dodge!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge.bmp
Views:	35
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	79271

Some things do stay the same.

What of those?

Has BO explained his plan to get gas prices under control?

Does he have one, or is that subject to change?

If Iraq was the wrong war, what makes Libya the right war?

Since condemning Bush's decision to go to war with Iraq, has something changed?

Bush was slammed for his $400 bn deficits.

Has something changed such that BO's $1.7 trillion deficits are OK?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Proof that you guys are scared.

After all, if it's a given that he's gonna lose at 42%, why all the trash talking?

If another Black candidate emerges will you stil vote for Obama?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 AM

50 posts, read 48,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If another Black candidate emerges will you stil vote for Obama?
What does this have to do with race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies