Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
This afternoon, I was driving with a friend in the car. We were going over an overpass and I noticed that 4 boys --- probably between 12 & 14 years old --- were leaning on the fence, looking down onto the highway. I looked again and noticed one of the boys had a gun and was pointing it at the traffic on the highway. Of course, I have no clue if it was a real gun or not --- it was silver and looked like an automatic.

I called "911" and reported this to the cops. I told the dispatcher what I saw, let her know it was 4 boys (children, not adults), told her I hadn't a clue if the gun was real or not, and gave her the exact location.

The friend who was in the car with me was visibly uncomfortable with me calling the cops. He didn't say anything but I sensed an "attitude" change. I asked him if I did the right thing in calling the cops? He didn't answer. Then he just said "you saw what you saw. let's the cops handle it"

The area where I saw these kids is "undesirable" and there are gangs and it's not uncommon for kids to have weapons.

My biggest concerns were: 1. If that was a real gun and they decided to "pop off " a few rounds at the traffic and 2. what if a driver on the highway saw them and freaked out and caused a huge accident?

What would you have done?????
I'd have done the same - called the police. (though I'd have had to pull off the road and found a phone to do it - I don't own [and don't want] a cell phone.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:

I would not have called 911. In fact, that is an abuse of 911 since this was not an emergency.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I would not have called 911. In fact, that is an abuse of 911 since this was not an emergency.
It sure as hell was an emergency.

To the OP, you did the right thing. Now, do another right thing and get rid of that friend of yours. He's a loser, has no judgment and no courage. To satisfy your curiosity, you might ask him what his problem is. But then get rid of him.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
This afternoon, I was driving with a friend in the car. We were going over an overpass and I noticed that 4 boys --- probably between 12 & 14 years old --- were leaning on the fence, looking down onto the highway. I looked again and noticed one of the boys had a gun and was pointing it at the traffic on the highway. Of course, I have no clue if it was a real gun or not --- it was silver and looked like an automatic.

I called "911" and reported this to the cops. I told the dispatcher what I saw, let her know it was 4 boys (children, not adults), told her I hadn't a clue if the gun was real or not, and gave her the exact location.

I would have called 9-11. You did the right thing.

LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Thank you for not helping evil triumph. Wish more people were like you.

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:

The friend who was in the car with me was visibly uncomfortable with me calling the cops. He didn't say anything but I sensed an "attitude" change. I asked him if I did the right thing in calling the cops? He didn't answer. Then he just said "you saw what you saw. let's the cops handle it"

The area where I saw these kids is "undesirable" and there are gangs and it's not uncommon for kids to have weapons.

My biggest concerns were: 1. If that was a real gun and they decided to "pop off " a few rounds at the traffic and 2. what if a driver on the highway saw them and freaked out and caused a huge accident?

You did the honorable right thing. Be proud of yourself. If people don't take things like this seriously, even if the gun wasn't real (how do you know?), we will only get worse as a nation.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Instinct should never be taken lightly. That little voice inside us exists for a reason. It is a primal survival instinct: the reptilian brain getting our attention before we attempt to reason away that gut feeling and diminish the importance of perceived danger.
Absolutely well said! Those gut feelings RARELY, if at all, are wrong.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Thank you for not helping evil triumph. Wish more people were like you.
Good post! +1

Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

you did absolutely the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
rubbish, this is exactly what the 911 system is for, reporting crimes that are in progress. and brandishing a weapon, especially on the freeway is in fact a crime.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You did what MOST good people would do. Now, about your friend and his "attitude change", that action alone would automatically cause me to question his morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies